Around the NHL 2012-2013 II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Also, things are interesting in Vancouver right now since Schneider's been traded.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
I miss Nill. I give this draft a D-. I like our first pick and somewhat of our second pick. After that its all terrible.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
I miss Nill. I give this draft a D-. I like our first pick and somewhat of our second pick. After that its all terrible.

Nill hasn't been gone that long and its not like they knew he was going to get hired by another team.

I'd be shocked if he didn't have a huge hand in setting their draft board. Besides, Nill never did the scouting he just made the final decision on whose name to call.

The scouts haven't changed so the only picks that would be different would be the ones where Nill overruled his scouts or when he settled a disagreement.

I have no idea how to grade this draft because many of the picks I know next to nothing about but I doubt we'd be saying anything different with Nill making the selections

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris

Have you seen any of the later picks play? It's ok to give your initial thoughts, but writing prospects off before even seeing them play is ridiculous.

No one would've like Datsyuk with the stats and physical attributes he had when he was drafted. I'm not saying these guys are the next Datsyuk, but have some patience.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
For those of you who hate the Penguins, I think they just effed themselves up... From the sounds of things, Iginla won't be back. They'll have to buyout Orpik if they want cap space. Dupuis is leaving for FA. All they really have from their big acquisitions from the deadline are Jokinen and maybe Murray if they resign him. Not to mention, they have to deal with Fleury... Will be entertaining to see how they try and fix this.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
For those of you who hate the Penguins, I think they just effed themselves up... From the sounds of things, Iginla won't be back. They'll have to buyout Orpik if they want cap space. Dupuis is leaving for FA. All they really have from their big acquisitions from the deadline are Jokinen and maybe Murray if they resign him. Not to mention, they have to deal with Fleury... Will be entertaining to see how they try and fix this.

Not that it solves all their problems but; I heard an interesting theory about Fleury the other day that might explain why he's fallen off the face of goalie-land and how he can get back.

The line of reasoning goes something like this: Fleury is a classic, agility based hyper active keeper. He's at his best when he's actively moving to block the puck; sorta like when he played out of his freaking mind to steal our Cup in 2009 (although I still say that if Lidstrom has 2 functioning testicles; we go to OT in game 7). Now with the bigger pads, he's being instructed to play a rigid "system" based style and he's choking on the bit.

Ergo, if he switches back to just "reacting" and the pads get a little smaller like people are suggesting (although I'm starting to think it's too late for this change in 2014); he'll go back to being an elite goalie.

Now admittedly, the person who theorized this *was* a 'Guins fan, and it does sound a little bit like a fairy tale. It is however the best explanation I've seen for why Fleury can look so good for short periods but is basically sucking full time now.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010

That makes me laugh. I don't understand how they can have so much tied up in so few players.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
Not that it solves all their problems but; I heard an interesting theory about Fleury the other day that might explain why he's fallen off the face of goalie-land and how he can get back.

The line of reasoning goes something like this: Fleury is a classic, agility based hyper active keeper. He's at his best when he's actively moving to block the puck; sorta like when he played out of his freaking mind to steal our Cup in 2009 (although I still say that if Lidstrom has 2 functioning testicles; we go to OT in game 7). Now with the bigger pads, he's being instructed to play a rigid "system" based style and he's choking on the bit.

Ergo, if he switches back to just "reacting" and the pads get a little smaller like people are suggesting (although I'm starting to think it's too late for this change in 2014); he'll go back to being an elite goalie.

Now admittedly, the person who theorized this *was* a 'Guins fan, and it does sound a little bit like a fairy tale. It is however the best explanation I've seen for why Fleury can look so good for short periods but is basically sucking full time now.

Essentially, what the Penguins are missing are two right wingers. They basically have to hope they land something in FA, otherwise they are effed.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
Essentially, what the Penguins are missing are two right wingers. They basically have to hope they land something in FA, otherwise they are effed.

I'm certainly not weeping for them; just theorizing why they might not be that worried about Fleury. Personally, I'd be worried about Fleury anyways but it was an interesting theory.

I won't cry if Pittsburgh is worse next year though :)

crashman

I gotta admit, I was pleased to see they paid Letang like a Norris candidate. He's an above average PMD and not worth that kind of money. Like others have said, it makes Kronwall's deal look excellent.

The Pens have a ton of money tied up in 3 players, a bad goalie and they traded away some nice players/prospects for guys they're likely going to lose.

I know it just makes me seem bitter buy celebrating their misfortunes, but let's be honest, they had it coming. ;)

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I gotta admit, I was pleased to see they paid Letang like a Norris candidate. He's an above average PMD and not worth that kind of money. Like others have said, it makes Kronwall's deal look excellent.

The Pens have a ton of money tied up in 3 players, a bad goalie and they traded away some nice players/prospects for guys they're likely going to lose.

I know it just makes me seem bitter buy celebrating their misfortunes, but let's be honest, they had it coming. ;)

I thought only Joe Morrow was worth of something. Well maybe that late first.

But Pens still have Despres, Harrington, Pouliot, Määttä and Dumoulin on D pool, among others. So it's not like they are doomed. They needed to create space.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I thought only Joe Morrow was worth of something. Well maybe that late first.

But Pens still have Despres, Harrington, Pouliot, Määttä and Dumoulin on D pool, among others. So it's not like they are doomed. They needed to create space.

letangs contract will likly cost them neal which is a real shame

Avery Rule

Jun 1, 2010
Wonder where Dipietro ends up...
Was wondering if Kenny would try to get him cheap and move Jonas.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
I have no idea how to grade this draft because many of the picks I know next to nothing about but I doubt we'd be saying anything different with Nill making the selections

Me and you both. Attempting to grade a draft immediately after it occurs is always a crapshoot.

I'm also a big football fan and even grading the NFL draft is very much a crapshoot. And the NFL draft is much easier to be knowledgable about since the majority of prospects play Div 1 for the major conferences, are closer to Pro ready since they're at least 3 years out of high school, and overall typically have less question marks in regards to their development.

Grading drafts immediately after they happen is practically impossible considering that the grades won't even be visible for years.

Gyldenlove

Jun 10, 2013
Have you seen any of the later picks play? It's ok to give your initial thoughts, but writing prospects off before even seeing them play is ridiculous.

No one would've like Datsyuk with the stats and physical attributes he had when he was drafted. I'm not saying these guys are the next Datsyuk, but have some patience.

Datsyuk had already played 2 years against men when he was drafted and while his point production wasn't amazing it was actually better than Valeri Nichushkins and very comparable to many guys who have been drafted high out of the Russian league.

Gyldenlove

Jun 10, 2013
Has he indicated he'll keep playing? I'd have to think retirement would cross his mind.

I think like all athletes he will keep playing if the money is right, but I doubt any team will offer him the kind of scratch he is accustomed to and he doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would take 75k to play in the AHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad