Around the NHL 2012-2013 II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Me and you both. Attempting to grade a draft immediately after it occurs is always a crapshoot.

I'm also a big football fan and even grading the NFL draft is very much a crapshoot. And the NFL draft is much easier to be knowledgable about since the majority of prospects play Div 1 for the major conferences, are closer to Pro ready since they're at least 3 years out of high school, and overall typically have less question marks in regards to their development.

Grading drafts immediately after they happen is practically impossible considering that the grades won't even be visible for years.

After a draft the most important things to look at are:

-Did you address needs?
-Did you maximize value?

Think we did a really good job at addressing needs, though I wish we picked more centers instead of wingers. But that is splitting hairs. Got bigger, and some guys who project as complete players, or fill specific needs. Goal-scoring, grittiness, and size seemed to be the motivation for the draft, which is a bunch of stuff we need tbh.

Maximizing value I think we fell short a bit, but I thought Mantha at #20 and the Swede in the 3rd round were really good pick-ups at good places in the draft.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
After a draft the most important things to look at are:

-Did you address needs?
-Did you maximize value?

Think we did a really good job at addressing needs, though I wish we picked more centers instead of wingers. But that is splitting hairs. Got bigger, and some guys who project as complete players, or fill specific needs. Goal-scoring, grittiness, and size seemed to be the motivation for the draft, which is a bunch of stuff we need tbh.

Maximizing value I think we fell short a bit, but I thought Mantha at #20 and the Swede in the 3rd round were really good pick-ups at good places in the draft.

I think at the end of the day the most important thing to look at is:

- How many NHL players did you draft?

You can address your needs and maximize value according to your scouting reports perfectly, but if your selections don't develop into NHL players then what's the point?

And the simple fact is that we won't know how many if any of these players become regular NHLers for years.

I'm sure there's countless examples of people:

- loving a teams' draft class to have it flop
- not loving a teams' draft class and having it become very successful

I'll grade this draft class years down the road, because until then we simply won't know.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Which team would you put all of your money on next year? Teams need a window, this isn't like the Wings or Pens from a few years ago.

I think it's better to put all of your money on some team next year, and then reload and do it again the year after that and again and again. Than going all in for one team for 3-4 years, using your comparison.

He can sign another contract after next year if he goes with one year deals and always go with the team that he feels has the best chance. If he wants that.

If he goes for 3-4 year deal there is then turning back. Who knows where one particular team might be in two years?

If he wants the cup and nothing else, imo he should sign cheap for a year somewhere. If he feels its the Pens, then go there, if not then go somewhere else.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I think it's better to put all of your money on some team next year, and then reload and do it again the year after that and again and again. Than going all in for one team for 3-4 years, using your comparison.

He can sign another contract after next year if he goes with one year deals and always go with the team that he feels has the best chance. If he wants that.

If he goes for 3-4 year deal there is then turning back. Who knows where one particular team might be in two years?

If he wants the cup and nothing else, imo he should sign cheap for a year somewhere. If he feels its the Pens, then go there, if not then go somewhere else.

I would be surprised if Iginla wants his family to move to a new city every year for the next 4-5 years.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I think at the end of the day the most important thing to look at is:

- How many NHL players did you draft?

You can address your needs and maximize value according to your scouting reports perfectly, but if your selections don't develop into NHL players then what's the point?

As I see it, if you have enough talent already in your prospect system, you can start adressing needs on later round picks. Wings have huge amounts of talent and smallish skill right now. The plan looked just like it, now it was time get these pests and size.

If you don't have any talent in our prospect system, then go with a "value maximizing" plan.

Every organization is in different situation with different kind of plans.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
We already have too many Dmen... If that's what you're fearing.

Terrifying thought though.

"We think he's realgud. He's an older guy, but a tough veteran; we think he can be a 2nd pair defenseman. I've banished Jakub Kindl to wash my car and pick up coffee for the coaches."

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
I'm closing this one down. The thread is meant to discuss games around the league, etc, during the season.

The trade, waiver, signing talk is being covered in several other threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad