Around the NHL 2012-2013 II

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedWingsNow*

'Struggling to lure UFAs' ONLY because Holland won't pay for them. Holland could've signed Suter last year IMO if he trumped the Minny offer even by a fraction.

Holland liked to point to the New England Patriots system, but the Patriots let go of players as soon as they get expensive, the Wings don't.

I don't follow football, so I don't know exactly what you're saying - but I understand your point and I've been making it for years.

Pay your difference makers.
Build around them with interchangeable parts and youngters.

You never pay a Dan Cleary $3M a year. You go find the next Dan Cleary for $800,000 or give the spot to a kid

You can keep a guy like Miller around because he's only at $1.3M. But you start to push it with Tootoo at $1.9, Cleary at $2.8 and Sammy at $3 and even Bertuzzi at $2m at his age.

The youngsters are going to develoip faster -- they're going to put up big stats playing on scoring lines and present newer and tougher and decisions.

Had Nyquist played .last year on Zetterberg's wing and scored 13 goals and 30 points...that would force a tough decision on Nyquist's pay this year, for sure.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
'Struggling to lure UFAs' ONLY because Holland won't pay for them. Holland could've signed Suter last year IMO if he trumped the Minny offer even by a fraction.

Holland liked to point to the New England Patriots system, but the Patriots let go of players as soon as they get expensive, the Wings don't.

I thought the report was that Suter didn't give teams an opportunity to match Minny's final offer?

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
Does he just want out of Pittsburgh? Even if someone gives him more money, they can't give him that 8th year.

Yeap, that was exactly my thinking. Then again, I dislike Crosby so much I have no problem imagining people refusing to work with him. #MagicalChristmasLand :)

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Is there a reason Alfredsson hasn't re=signed in Ottawa yet? Is he considering retirement or is there a disagreement about money?

With the Jagr talk in the other thread, Alfredsson is another older guy I wouldn't mind at all on a shorter deal.

edit: never mind, just saw the Bob McKenzie tweet saying he'll play another year. I'll just assume it's with the sens.

Last edited:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
So over 2 million people hit the streets for the Hawks celebration today. I hate that they won, but gotta hand it to them, the city really gets behind that team.

WC2uSfD.jpg

Z40

High Compete Level
Feb 10, 2012
Detroit
Does anyone think Nill would pursue Flip? Dallas is a little thin down the middle and has a lot of cap space.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Does anyone think Nill would pursue Flip? Dallas is a little thin down the middle and has a lot of cap space.

Possible but I'm not sure if that is the direction he wants to be going. Flip wants a lot of years, maybe Dallas can't/shouldn't have Flip taking 5+ of cap space in few years.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
There's so much players on the market now, that I think Filppula won't see his big payday. Maybe a real value (+4.0) with a long deal.

I think the biggest problem with Wings is term, not salary.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
Dreger:

Buckle up. @TSNBobMcKenzie has some interesting news.

Renaud Lavoie:

Bruins are really active right now. Tyler Seguin is one of the players that could be traded. Lightning is one of many teams in the mix.

Bob McKenzie:

Not 100 per cent yet but looks like Nathan Horton will NOT be back with BOS. B's talking trade and Tyler Seguin's name has been discussed.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
We'll have to see how all of this turns out. But I for one am glad Holland has our team in order, because lately these huge pointless roster turnovers for teams already winning have often wrecked teams.

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013
I live and work in Chicago, and it was a beautiful day and people found n excuse to take the day off of work. Many of those fans are bandwagon fans.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I live and work in Chicago, and it was a beautiful day and people found n excuse to take the day off of work. Many of those fans are bandwagon fans.

If you stay good long enough you're going to build your fan-base. The real issue the Hawks will have is can the Bulls or Bears (not even going to talk about their two baseball teams which might be the worst in each league) do anything to put a dent in it? Luckily for the Hawks, I don't see it. They are going to be the most talented team in town for a good decade. They should be able to cash in on that and it is good for the NHL as a whole.

They are starting to gain legitimate momentum. Their an-base is also starting to finally understand simple parts of the game and convert into better hockey fans. It's a process but the league is better for it, converting bandwagon fans into regular fans is important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->