Around the NHL #17, the 18/19 on-season

Status
Not open for further replies.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
An 8 AAV, 5 year sheet makes sense for a team with space if he would sign it. It's a bit Rich, but term isn't killer, compensation is not much for quality of player, 5 years puts him to UFA, still gives him his desired value at a good term. If Leafs match they end up giving what he wants lol

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
To add to my last post, these are the teams that are eligible to offersheet Nylander based on their draft [pick situation. I have not factored in the salary cap.

Arizona
Boston
Calgary (up to $6,088,980 averaged over 5 years)
Carolina
Chicago
Colorado
Columbus (up to $6,088,980 averaged over 5 years)
Dallas
Detroit
Edmonton
Los Angeles
Minnesota
Montreal
New York (R)
Philadelphia
Vancouver
Vegas
Washington

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Not the hardest thing in the world to get your 3rd back.
Avs are in the same boat, a team with a bunch of cap, and likely a good team.

Just think spending a 1st-2nd-3rd is a small price for someone like Nylander if you're a playoff team.
It's not as easy as you make it out to be. Vegas holds that pick Nashville needs back.Vegas likely considers themselves a good team after last season, as they showed with their acquisitions this past off-season, so their motivation to help Nashville would be pretty non-existent.

I would suggest that the Avs as you indicated, could be a team that makes sense. Vegas is another. The Bruins, Blue Jackets, Philly and Carolina could also makes sense as they all have the cap space. That said, I have not looked beyond this season.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
To add to my last post, these are the teams that are eligible to offersheet Nylander based on their draft [pick situation. I have not factored in the salary cap.

Arizona
Boston
Calgary (up to $6,088,980 averaged over 5 years)
Carolina
Chicago
Colorado
Columbus (up to $6,088,980 averaged over 5 years)
Dallas
Detroit
Edmonton
Los Angeles
Minnesota
Montreal
New York (R)
Philadelphia
Vancouver
Vegas
Washington

Highlighted are the only teams that can afford to pay him.
Other teams would have to make 3-8 million dollars in cap space to sign him.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Personally I don't think any GM is going to offer sheet Nylander because its the fastest way to become a pariah in the NHL GM club. There's a reason why offer sheets are rarely extended... and its not because they are too expensive.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
It's not as easy as you make it out to be. Vegas holds that pick Nashville needs back.Vegas likely considers themselves a good team after last season, as they showed with their acquisitions this past off-season, so their motivation to help Nashville would be pretty non-existent.

I would suggest that the Avs as you indicated, could be a team that makes sense. Vegas is another. The Bruins, Blue Jackets, Philly and Carolina could also makes sense as they all have the cap space. That said, I have not looked beyond this season.

If you offered Vegas your third for your second the year after, I don't think they'd decline you. You're taking a gamble, but to reacquire a mid round pick, if you really needed to isn't something overly difficult in the NHL. Look how these guys move down a round or two at the draft by just tossing a couple picks from a round above.

GM's are social creatures that like when others see them in a good light.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Highlighted are the only teams that can afford to pay him.
Other teams would have to make 3-8 million dollars in cap space to sign him.
I can see disagreeing on the Bruins, because it is debatable, depending what the contract dollars would be. But Vegas has 5.4 million in space and can put Clarkson on LTIR

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
If you offered Vegas your third for your second the year after, I don't think they'd decline you. You're taking a gamble, but to reacquire a mid round pick, if you really needed to isn't something overly difficult in the NHL. Look how these guys move down a round or two at the draft by just tossing a couple picks from a round above.

GM's are social creatures that like when others see them in a good light.
That is entirely possible, but if I were VGK, I wouldn't bite on that. Afterall they were 1 game from facing each other in the conference finals last year.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Personally I don't think any GM is going to offer sheet Nylander because its the fastest way to become a pariah in the NHL GM club. There's a reason why offer sheets are rarely extended... and its not because they are too expensive.
Actually it is because the compensation is complete garbage, so teams are forced too match even if it's a bad contract. And if you make an offer big enough for the other team to reject, you will be getting a bad contract yourself.

Before the current setup offer-sheets were done regularly. Shanahan, Stevens, Selanne, Sakic, Federov... etc all signed big offersheets in the past.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Actually it is because the compensation is complete garbage, so teams are forced too match even if it's a bad contract. And if you make an offer big enough for the other team to reject, you will be getting a bad contract yourself.

Before the current setup offer-sheets were done regularly. Shanahan, Stevens, Selanne, Sakic, Federov... etc all signed big offersheets in the past.
I agree. Assuming someone offers $8m AAV for Nylander (personally I think this is an overpay) all Toronto would get back in compensation would be a 1st, a 2nd, and a 3rd... and hell if the team that makes the offer was good enough, all those picks would likely be the bottom third of each draft round. Not much compensation for Toronto and if Toronto matches they are stuck with an overpay which will totally affect the rest of the team's salary structure.

Want to kill your career as a GM? Offer sheet someone else's player.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I agree. Assuming someone offers $8m AAV for Nylander (personally I think this is an overpay) all Toronto would get back in compensation would be a 1st, a 2nd, and a 3rd... and hell if the team that makes the offer was good enough, all those picks would likely be the bottom third of each draft round. Not much compensation for Toronto and if Toronto matches they are stuck with an overpay which will totally affect the rest of the team's salary structure.

Name a GM where an offsheet killed their career.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Offer sheets don't work, that's why they're not used. At least for the big and expensive names. You're forced to overpay but even then, the team will almost always match anyway. There's no point to it. This was on TSN a few days ago but basically, teams try to find that sweet spot of an offer that's not too much of an overpay yet won't be matched while the compensation is affordable. And mostly, they can't.

That being said, it's definitely peculiar why RFA's on cap strapped teams aren't being poached more often. Usually yeah, teams will ensure they have the space to match anything but not always. See the Oilers just this past summer; a team could have easily offersheeted Nurse at something over 4M which they would be hard pressed to match. And moreover, it's not like they're going to be a position of having a lot of cap space anytime soon either so retaliatory offers were unlikely.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016

This is one area the NHLPA wants used more. As a GM it would be very wise to offer Nylander 6.75 over 7. If Toronto takes on the contract the GM has forced the team to spend more than their budget allows. At some point it is quite likely you are going to disrupt the players they are able to keep signing. Does it cost TO Marner or Matthews..Doubful but Kapanen, Gardiner or Gauthier may have to be moved.

If you get Nylander for $6.75 you have a very workable deal. Worth the picks... Certainly if it makes you a playoff team. Is Calgary a good candidate??? No Calgary is too tight to the cap and this would cause repercussions in the line-up management would not want.

Winnipeg, Vegas, Nashville, would do okay but the real benefits would be reaped by teams like Boston, Buffalo, Montreal, Ottawa, and Florida. By forcing the Leafs hand you weaken the Leafs by either taking the player or forcing them into worse cap issues. Weakening the team by forcing them to shed players or future contracts. If I were Ottawa or Montreal I would consider offering Matthews $12.5M for 7 years. Toronto's successful rebuild could be tore apart in 2 short years.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Name a GM where an offsheet killed their career.
There's an unwritten agreement among all GMs that Offer Sheets will not be issued to RFA players on other teams. GMs have to work with all other GMs and if you OS another team's RFA the team will resent that and GM to GM relationships will disintegrate (see Brian Burke and Kevin Lowe).
Beside the currently inadequate compensation aspect, General managers hate OS's because they drive up salaries for players without the team actually acquiring the player. Those documented salaries make it easy for players of a similar caliber to demand similar pay. That’s when salary structures begin to fall apart.
OS's provide a fertile breeding ground among other GMs for resentment and dislike.. particularly if those teams that are being targeted are having a difficult time with the salary cap..
I'll say it again, if you want to kill your career as a GM buck the trend and the unwritten agreement and start issuing OS's to RFA's on other teams. Other GMs will stop taking your calls.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
This is one area the NHLPA wants used more. As a GM it would be very wise to offer Nylander 6.75 over 7. If Toronto takes on the contract the GM has forced the team to spend more than their budget allows. At some point it is quite likely you are going to disrupt the players they are able to keep signing. Does it cost TO Marner or Matthews..Doubful but Kapanen, Gardiner or Gauthier may have to be moved.

If you get Nylander for $6.75 you have a very workable deal. Worth the picks... Certainly if it makes you a playoff team. Is Calgary a good candidate??? No Calgary is too tight to the cap and this would cause repercussions in the line-up management would not want.

Winnipeg, Vegas, Nashville, would do okay but the real benefits would be reaped by teams like Boston, Buffalo, Montreal, Ottawa, and Florida. By forcing the Leafs hand you weaken the Leafs by either taking the player or forcing them into worse cap issues. Weakening the team by forcing them to shed players or future contracts. If I were Ottawa or Montreal I would consider offering $12.5M for 7 years. Toronto's successful rebuild could be tore apart in 2 short years.
Absolutely. The NHLPA is all for driving up players salaries.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
There's an unwritten agreement among all GMs that Offer Sheets will not be issued to RFA players on other teams. GMs have to work with all other GMs and if you OS another team's RFA the team will resent that and GM to GM relationships will disintegrate (see Brian Burke and Kevin Lowe).
Beside the currently inadequate compensation aspect, General managers hate OS's because they drive up salaries for players without the team actually acquiring the player. Those documented salaries make it easy for players of a similar caliber to demand similar pay. That’s when salary structures begin to fall apart.
OS's provide a fertile breeding ground among other GMs for resentment and dislike.. particularly if those teams that are being targeted are having a difficult time with the salary cap..
I'll say it again, if you want to kill your career as a GM buck the trend and the unwritten agreement and start issuing OS's to RFA's on other teams. Other GMs will stop taking your calls.
So you can't name one. Cool.

And your example using Burke and Lowe, the issue wasn't the offer sheet, Burke has used offer sheets too (for example, he outright told Boston he'd offersheet Kessel), the issue was that Lowe was not up front about it. Burke believes GMs should give other GMs warnings about the offersheet so a trade can be worked out instead.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
So you can't name one. Cool.

And your example using Burke and Lowe, the issue wasn't the offer sheet, Burke has used offer sheets too (for example, he outright told Boston he'd offersheet Kessel), the issue was that Lowe was not up front about it. Burke believes GMs should give other GMs warnings about the offersheet so a trade can be worked out instead.
No I can't name one. That's an impossible request. Its not like every time a GM gets fired I get a list from team managements listing the reasons why they were fired. But logic says that if you start poaching other teams RFAs those teams will resent that and they will be a lot less likely to deal with you in the future.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Another aspect is that a player actually has to sign an offer sheet. So on some level they have to be unhappy enough being with their current organization to sign something that will definitely hurt their reputation with that team. And as mentioned the team offering one has to have the cap space, the draft picks, the organizational need for that specific player, and the willingness to sour the relationship with the other team's GM. So really it has to be a perfect storm of circumstances for an offer sheet to even happen, and even when it does in most cases it can just be matched and it'll be all for naught anyways.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
It's too early to guess what money Puljujarvi will get on his next deal, so I was predicting somewhere between 3-4 million because if he does break out at all and puts up 35+ points, he will get in that range and rightfully so. As for Talbot, he will get 4-5 million in a short term deal.

They aren't going to wait out Lucic's deal, with 4 years left, that is too long to wait out. Russell's and Sekera's sure... but waiting 4 years is simply too much.

Also, I don't think they should trade Nuge for Drouin at all. Nuge is a better all around player, has shown chemistry with McDavid and only makes 500k more than Drouin. Downgrading to save 500k seems like a mistake.

They could fill out their roster with minimum salary guys, but quite frankly they aren't good enough to handle that and they will struggle greatly.

Whatever the end result, who's providing the popcorn?

giphy.gif

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
The whole reason we got Hamilton was because the Oilers were threatening to offersheet him unless they were willing to accept their trade offer. He got sent to a divisonal rival for less, as a "f*** you" to Chiarelli

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The whole reason we got Hamilton was because the Oilers were threatening to offersheet him unless they were willing to accept their trade offer. He got sent to a divisonal rival for less, as a "**** you" to Chiarelli
Any proof, source or anything that backs this up? Because it sounds more like a conspiracy theory

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It's pretty well known that Chiarelli offered more for Hamilton but it was Calgary that landed him.
I read it as Hanifin :laugh:

But as for Hamilton, I disagree about the Oilers offering more. I think the offers were extremely comparable.

We acquired Hamilton for picks 15, 45 & 52. Their offer was said for be 16, 33 & 57.

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
I read it as Hanifin :laugh:

But as for Hamilton, I disagree about the Oilers offering more. I think the offers were extremely comparable.

We acquired Hamilton for picks 15, 45 & 52. Their offer was said for be 16, 33 & 57.

My understanding is that Boston was asking for Nurse from Edmonton along with a 1st.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
My understanding is that Boston was asking for Nurse from Edmonton along with a 1st.
Yeah thats what I heard. And Edmonton wouldn't budge on that front so they threatened to offersheet. Treliving rang Sweeney up and three years later we have Lindholm and Hanifin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad