Around the NHL #17, the 18/19 on-season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
The Edmonton McDavids are over .500 for the first time in over a year

They still looked like trash for most of that game, not really the convincing performance you might be looking for in a home opener. McDavid was the only reason they won. Bruins really didn't look all that good either.

A little surprised at how shit LA has been, still haven't scored a powerplay goal

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
They still looked like trash for most of that game, not really the convincing performance you might be looking for in a home opener. McDavid was the only reason they won. Bruins really didn't look all that good either.

A little surprised at how **** LA has been, still haven't scored a powerplay goal

Looks like they did tonight... in a 7-2 drubbing against.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Looks like they did tonight... in a 7-2 drubbing against.

You're right, they got two. Which brings them up to 2/25 and they now have a -11 goal differential over 7 games
200w.webp

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I don't know why, but I keep thinking Phaneuf is retired. Totally forget he's at LA

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I don't watch Kings games but they look like ass. Outscored 21-5 in four straight losses

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Their coach is a lowkey Poor Man's Randy Carlyle with no structure and they overall lack depth at forward.
They jumped out to an 11-2-2 start with virtually the same roster and of course the same coach, last season

Is it one of those cases where the players were doing fine but the coach wanted the players to play his wa, a la Brent Sutter

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
They jumped out to an 11-2-2 start with virtually the same roster and of course the same coach, last season

Is it one of those cases where the players were doing fine but the coach wanted the players to play his wa, a la Brent Sutter

No, it's not.

It's moreso that last year they had a bit of a boost playing a run n gun style instead of Darryl Sutter possession hockey and caught teams offguard. Once teams adjusted the loose play got exploited and the lack of talent more obvious than ever. As was the case here, there were elite two-way guys who thrived in that style (Kopitar/Doughty there, Backlund/Giordano/Brodie here) but the other guys just don't have the ability to play that style.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I hope he gets 50. Ferly is such a good feel good story.

Hamilton slides to the third pairing and the lowest TOI of Carolina's defense core.
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/151113493/

That's misleading. He's not on the 3rd pairing. He's on the top pairing at even strength with Slavin (as he was for this game and the last). He doesn't PK though and he hasn't gotten as much PP time so his OA TOI is less than guys that do.

5v5 TOI season to date:
Slavin: 147 min
Hamilton: 141 min
Pesce: 141 min
de Haan: 140 min
Faulk: 135 min
TVR: 115 min
Fleury: 14 min.

Hamilton has pretty much been stapled to Slavin's side. He's played 128 of his 141 minutes with Slavin and they are the top pairing at ES. He's only played 4 min. with Pesce, 3 with de Haan, 3 with TVR and 2 with Faulk. He's got only 2 min on the PK all season and he's 3rd behind Faulk and Slavin on the PP. Canes have such good depth on D (Pesce is on our 3rd pairing and Fleury is in the AHL because there's no room for him), that they aren't having to play some guys 25 min / night and shelter some with only 15.

That said, I expected more scoring from him and had hoped that he'd help the PP, which he hasn't to date.

Reactions: Fig and SaintMorose

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

What's that thing on his fingers he was adjusting when he sat down in the box?

That's misleading. He's not on the 3rd pairing. He's on the top pairing at even strength with Slavin (as he was for this game and the last). He doesn't PK though and he hasn't gotten as much PP time so his OA TOI is less than guys that do.

5v5 TOI season to date:
Slavin: 147 min
Hamilton: 141 min
Pesce: 141 min
de Haan: 140 min
Faulk: 135 min
TVR: 115 min
Fleury: 14 min.

Hamilton has pretty much been stapled to Slavin's side. He's played 128 of his 141 minutes with Slavin and they are the top pairing at ES. He's only played 4 min. with Pesce, 3 with de Haan, 3 with TVR and 2 with Faulk. He's got only 2 min on the PK all season and he's 3rd behind Faulk and Slavin on the PP. Canes have such good depth on D (Pesce is on our 3rd pairing and Fleury is in the AHL because there's no room for him), that they aren't having to play some guys 25 min / night and shelter some with only 15.

That said, I expected more scoring from him and had hoped that he'd help the PP, which he hasn't to date.

Hamilton took around half a season to really start hitting his stride here IIRC. I'm sure he'll figure things out sooner rather than later in Carolina.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad