Around the NHL #17, the 18/19 on-season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
It's actually amazing to me how bad the Oilers have f***ed up. They f***ed up the Drai contract (by a couple million, I can forgive that) they really f***ed up on the Lucic contract, the Russell contract (again, not the worst one in the world, but not ideal given their situation), and of course the nail in the coffin the Hall for Larsson trade. I remember at the time thinking that if Larsson could top out as a top pairing D-man and if Hall would only be a 60-70 pt winger (lol) that it wouldn't be a bad trade....wow was I wrong.

I wonder how different things would be if it was Hall for Subban.

Reactions: King In The North

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
It's actually amazing to me how bad the Oilers have ****ed up. They ****ed up the Drai contract (by a couple million, I can forgive that) they really ****ed up on the Lucic contract, the Russell contract (again, not the worst one in the world, but not ideal given their situation), and of course the nail in the coffin the Hall for Larsson trade. I remember at the time thinking that if Larsson could top out as a top pairing D-man and if Hall would only be a 60-70 pt winger (lol) that it wouldn't be a bad trade....wow was I wrong.

I wonder how different things would be if it was Hall for Subban.
It was closer to being Hall for Ceci than Hall for Larsson if not for Melnyk

Reactions: King In The North

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
That would've been pretty..pretty cool. Why did Melnyk nix it though? Financial reasons or what?
I think it's because all trades had to go through him and while they were awaiting for Melnyk to approve it, Hall was moved to NJ

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Hall and company are at it again tonight. 3-0 over Dallas atm. New Jersey might be one of the most under-rated teams in the NHL. They are fast and disciplined.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Hmm, think they're sucking too much, if such a thing were possible for the Oilers. Games like this are only going to lead to Chiarelli/McLellan getting turfed which significantly increases the danger of someone competent coming in. Someone who might actually get the team some scoring depth (still have yet to score a goal that McDavid wasn't in on), some defencemen that can actually help with the transition, and maybe even a coach that doesn't bury players he doesn't like.

Still fun to see them get destroyed though.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I can't believe I thought the Oilers would be somewhat competent this season
Hmm, think they're sucking too much, if such a thing were possible for the Oilers. Games like this are only going to lead to Chiarelli/McLellan getting turfed which significantly increases the danger of someone competent coming in. Someone who might actually get the team some scoring depth (still have yet to score a goal that McDavid wasn't in on), some defencemen that can actually help with the transition, and maybe even a coach that doesn't bury players he doesn't like.

If TMac is fired, it's Gully time in which case the Oilers can say "hi" to #1RW Alex Chiasson. But for real, if I were Gulutzan I wouldn't touch a head coach gig there with a 10-foot pole. How far can someone actually take that roster? Would they even have a goal right now if they didn't have the #1 pick in 2015

Reactions: Cyrano

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017

If TMac is fired, it's Gully time in which case the Oilers can say "hi" to #1RW Alex Chiasson. But for real, if I were Gulutzan I wouldn't touch a head coach gig there with a 10-foot pole. How far can someone actually take that roster?

At this point they need to completely clean house. Get rid of MacT and all the old buys, dump chia, bring in new leadership and let them pick their guys

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

If TMac is fired, it's Gully time in which case the Oilers can say "hi" to #1RW Alex Chiasson. But for real, if I were Gulutzan I wouldn't touch a head coach gig there with a 10-foot pole. How far can someone actually take that roster? Would they even have a goal right now if they didn't have the #1 pick in 2015
I wonder though, Gulutzan did manage to get the Flames to the playoffs. Took a massive winning streak to do it granted and a career backup playing out of his mind for a month or so. Maybe he has another beer to beer chat the guys and gets lucky?

But then again, they simply lack the defencemen needed to be successful. The modern game is built around transitioning quickly and Oilers lost their best and really only player capable of doing that at a high level in Sekera. They're rushing and probably ruining Bouchard for that very reason.

At this point they need to completely clean house. Get rid of MacT and all the old buys, dump chia, bring in new leadership and let them pick their guys
I prefer the status quo

But yeah, they basically have rebuild the rebuild of the rebuild of the rebuild. Unless they significantly improve their drafting and development, they're not going anywhere especially with their cap situation.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I don't think that will ever happen. I think a lot of the Oiler's problems start at the top and then trickle down from there.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I love that people were still defending the Hall for Larsson trade as recently as the start of last season. It was brutal from day one.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016

You'd think that, but they drafted four 1st overalls, including maybe the best player since Crosby, and they still can't keep their shit together. At this point I'm not worried, the Oilers will always be God awful.

Reactions: Calculon

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I wonder though, Gulutzan did manage to get the Flames to the playoffs. Took a massive winning streak to do it granted and a career backup playing out of his mind for a month or so. Maybe he has another beer to beer chat the guys and gets lucky?

But then again, they simply lack the defencemen needed to be successful. The modern game is built around transitioning quickly and Oilers lost their best and really only player capable of doing that at a high level in Sekera. They're rushing and probably ruining Bouchard for that very reason.
I like their defensemen (sans the bottom pairing) more than a team like Vegas' but their forward group is built like a shitty version of the early 2010s Boston Bruins in a league that's all about speed and shiftiness now.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
You'd think that, but they drafted four 1st overalls, including maybe the best player since Crosby, and they still can't keep their **** together. At this point I'm not worried, the Oilers will always be God awful.
I wonder if they ever consider trading McDavid or if he asks for a trade if their futility continues

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
You'd think that, but they drafted four 1st overalls, including maybe the best player since Crosby, and they still can't keep their **** together. At this point I'm not worried, the Oilers will always be God awful.

Realistically speaking I don't think Chia makes it through the season if the Oilers fall out of contention. In 2016 the Oilers brought in Gretzky and in 2015 the Oilers brought in Bob Nicholson. It is my opinion Greztky and Nicholson will be tasked with coming up with a plan to move the team forward. Look for Mark Hunter to end up in Edmonton. Draisaitl will likely need to be moved along with several other veterans which is going to cost Edmonton draft picks and prospects.

I say the earliest the Oilers are competitive will be 2022-23. They better or Connor will walk like Tavares did.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Youtube is down, the Oilers are making a comeback, the Flames don't play.

Gonna take my toys home soon.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Why do you hate the Jets so much? Not prodding, just curious.

I don't hate the Jets. I only hate our rivals - the Oilers, Ducks, and if they're ever competitive again, the Canucks.

I do dislike the Jets though. Here're some reasons why:

- Smug fanbase that acts like filling a 16000 person arena makes them a great fanbase
- The stupid chants their fans do
- The sheer stupidity of "white out" towel waving as a playoff theme
- Everyone thinks this modicum of success means they are the new Capitals, when it's more likely they are the new Atlanta Thrashers (Who had some talent themselves between Kovy Hossa Savard)
- I don't think they're a stacked team. They have five top six forwards, and a decent bottom six, but the way people sploosh over them you'd think they were the second coming of the 89 Flames. Which brings me to:

jets-stanley-cup.jpg

Truth is, they had an overrated prospect pool for a while BEFORE they won that Laine lottery. The hype, is, and will remain gross.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad