Around the NHL #17, the 18/19 on-season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I read it as Hanifin :laugh:

But as for Hamilton, I disagree about the Oilers offering more. I think the offers were extremely comparable.

We acquired Hamilton for picks 15, 45 & 52. Their offer was said for be 16, 33 & 57.

Offers were comparable but I believe Boston felt Chia wasn't offering in good faith due to him having inside knowledge of the situation, so asked for more and settled on our offer when Chia refused.

No one knows what the Nurse request is for sure and I've heard said speculation it was Nurse and a 1st (seemed way too high as it's a former 7OA + 15th OA). But one theory that sounded semi reasonable and still more than the Oiler's original offer was Nurse + 33 + 57. Dougie was proven at the time, Nurse wasn't. Nurse also had great upside, so it would definitely have been hard to let go of him.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
No matter what, the Ducks find a way to win. Once they turn it on in the second half of the season like they always do, they'll be scary again

The scary part is they are doing all of this without Kesler, Getzlaf, Ritchie, and Silfverberg... Crazy.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
No matter what, the Ducks find a way to win. Once they turn it on in the second half of the season like they always do, they'll be scary again

That team has made some unholy deal with the devil. Or was it Disney? Either way they may never die. Getzlaf and Gibson might be all you need in the Pacific this year.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I’ll never count out the ducks. They’ve been too good for too long. But at some point Gibson will be a human.
Yes, but probably after guys come back from injury. Or, after they come back he'll go on another tear and they'll dominate for a while.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Offer sheet is not some magical item that GM's can use if they feel like it, it's a term used to describe an final result of certain negotiation. Essentially, any team can negotiate with and sign any RFA who is eligible for offer sheets. Basically just the same way they can negotiate with and sign UFA's. If player is signed, it is referred as offer sheet.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Offer sheet is not some magical item that GM's can use if they feel like it, it's a term used to describe an final result of certain negotiation. Essentially, any team can negotiate with and sign any RFA who is eligible for offer sheets. Basically just the same way they can negotiate with and sign UFA's. If player is signed, it is referred as offer sheet.
There are other restrictions around it, though, as other posters have alluded to. Most negotiations don't involve the availability of draft picks, etc.

I guess there are two big factors. To sign the offer sheet in the first place, you're probably going to overpay (otherwise the player would've signed with their initial team anyway), and you're also going to need to give up picks (and have those picks available in the first place). Also, it's possible that you could be helping out the team by getting the player signed to a contract that ownership/fans can't blame you for.

Like, everyone agrees that Chiarelli overpaid Draisaitl by a few million. But if another team had signed him to an $8M/year offer sheet, he'd have been blameless when he matched.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
There are other restrictions around it, though, as other posters have alluded to. Most negotiations don't involve the availability of draft picks, etc.

I guess there are two big factors. To sign the offer sheet in the first place, you're probably going to overpay (otherwise the player would've signed with their initial team anyway), and you're also going to need to give up picks (and have those picks available in the first place). Also, it's possible that you could be helping out the team by getting the player signed to a contract that ownership/fans can't blame you for.

Like, everyone agrees that Chiarelli overpaid Draisaitl by a few million. But if another team had signed him to an $8M/year offer sheet, he'd have been blameless when he matched.

Sure, picks and compensation play a role. My post was response to the general idea (that at least I think I see in every offer sheets discussion) that GM's are afraid to use it, or there's some agreement to not use it. There could be several GM's that have approached Nylander's agent, we just dont know it. Lack of rumours does not mean lack of interest. Of course, you could say there's always some rumours when it comes to UFA's, so who knows, I might be wrong here.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I'm interested to see how Boston does against Edmonton tonight; the McDavids lineup tonight is pretty interesting:

Who Cares - McDavid - Who Cares
Who Cares - Who Cares - Who Cares
Still in the League? - Who Cares - Still in the League?

Pretty good chance McDavid has a couple points at least. Good chance the others play hockey, or whatever, do something.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I'm interested to see how Boston does against Edmonton tonight; the McDavids lineup tonight is pretty interesting:

Who Cares - McDavid - Who Cares
Still in the League? - Who Cares - Still in the League?

Pretty good chance McDavid has a couple points at least. Good chance the others play hockey, or whatever, do something.

Honestly might be giving them too much credit here. But it is their home opener so maybe they play good. Doubt the Bruins are going to be in a good mood considering the ass kicking we just gave them.

Last edited:

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
Lots of empty seats at the opener. Little shocking tbh.
Do you blame them? McDavid is all world, the rest of the team is pretty meh. With all the draft picks they’ve had, it’s impressive that management has screwed their fans as much as they have.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
McDavid gets stoned by Halak and throws a crosscheck at Nordstrom on his way to the bench in frustration and then pretty much hides from the resulting brawl lmao

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Shame that it's going to OT, wanted Edmonton to come out without a point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad