GDT: Around the League

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Ugh. It’s okay for us to get a rental. We don’t need to be so conservative with our “assets” if it means getting the right player. Who cares if Dillon is a UFA, maybe he signs an extension if he’s a fit, maybe he sucks, let’s get into into the playoffs and try to go on a run. Not having a middle pair d under contract for the future is such a worthless concern if you can make the team better.
I assume he's looking for a RFA or something like the Vatrano deal. Getting Clifford and Hutton from LA would be great or Nemeth or Manson if he wants term, but then that's even more money on defense.
Unless he is bringing a dman and sending Matheson the other way, then it opens up a lot of things.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
I assume he's looking for a RFA or something like the Vatrano deal. Getting Clifford and Hutton from LA would be great or Nemeth or Manson if he wants term, but then that's even more money on defense.
Unless he is bringing a dman and sending Matheson the other way, then it opens up a lot of things.
Yeah, I get the thought process but it screams of Tallon over valuing his prospects and picks. We never make the playoffs. Let’s maybe pay a little bit of a premium to make the team better.

I can’t see him moving Matheson until expansion drat

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
I'd rather have Keith than Brodin for one simple reason, Keith has playoff experience and knows what it takes to win. We've got a young team with almost no experience, we're gonna have some tough stretches during the playoffs where we'll need someone to pull us out of our funk and I think someone who's won before and can act as a Mini-Q amongst the players could do a lot of positive things for this core. Brodin hasn't been through the same playoffs experience.

So you’d want a player that’s more of a liability on defense, past his prime, and is owed over $16 million the next three seasons, over a player who would actually improve our defensive play in our own zone, which is an actual need? We have Connolly, Boyle, Stralman, and a multiple cup winning coach that have playoffs experience. Plus, Barky, Huby, Tro, etc. have been to the dance once, and I’m sure they will be more prepared the second time around.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
So you’d want a player that’s more of a liability on defense, past his prime, and is owed over $16 million the next three seasons, over a player who would actually improve our defensive play in our own zone, which is an actual need? We have Connolly, Boyle, Stralman, and a multiple cup winning coach that have playoffs experience. Plus, Barky, Huby, Tro, etc. have been to the dance once, and I’m sure they will be more prepared the second time around.

Your post made me curious as to how many current Panthers have playoff experience and it’s more than I thought.

As you said, the homegrown boys - Barkov, Huberdeau, Ekblad and even Matheson - all have 5/6 PO games under their belt. Trocheck had only 2. Was he injured during that run?

For the rest:
Acciari - 35 games, SCF w/ BOS
Connolly - 38 games, SC Champion
Hoffman - 25 games, ECF w/ OTT
Sceviour - 17 games w/ DAL
Yandle - 51 games, ECF w/ PHX and NYR

And the two players with the most PO experience are... :::drumroll:::

Boyle - 114 games, ECF and SCF with both NYR and TBL
Strålman - 104 games, ECF and SCF with both NYR and TBL

So there’s actually a good number of players that not only have some playoff experience, but a bunch who have gone pretty deep.

If that’s the case, I can see bringing in a defensive defenseman with not so much playoff experience more so than adding another offensive defenseman just because he has loads of playoff experience, even if it is Keith. JMHO. :DD

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
keith vs brodin.PNG

2019-2020

keith vs brodin-2.PNG

2018-2020

For the Keith vs Brodin debate.
Keith starts in the OZ a ton where Brodin is in the DZ a lot more

Last edited:

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Your post made me curious as to how many current Panthers have playoff experience and it’s more than I thought.

As you said, the homegrown boys - Barkov, Huberdeau, Ekblad and even Matheson - all have 5/6 PO games under their belt. Trocheck had only 2. Was he injured during that run?

For the rest:
Acciari - 35 games, SCF w/ BOS
Connolly - 38 games, SC Champion
Hoffman - 25 games, ECF w/ OTT
Sceviour - 17 games w/ DAL
Yandle - 51 games, ECF w/ PHX and NYR

And the two players with the most PO experience are... :::drumroll:::

Boyle - 114 games, ECF and SCF with both NYR and TBL
Strålman - 104 games, ECF and SCF with both NYR and TBL

So there’s actually a good number of players that not only have some playoff experience, but a bunch who have gone pretty deep.

If that’s the case, I can see bringing in a defensive defenseman with not so much playoff experience more so than adding another offensive defenseman just because he has loads of playoff experience, even if it is Keith. JMHO. :DD

I believe Tro was injured most of that playoffs. Someone here will have to help me out, my memory fails me.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Is Brodin even available? All I've heard is Dumba.

I'd imagine the price for a prime aged defender that is considered #2-3 is pretty high. We're talking about giving up a top prospect like Tippett or Denisenko.

But realistically I don't see why they'd move him. Wherever Minny thinks they are, contending, re-tooling or rebuilding, Brodin fits all those scenarios.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Basically, that the Panthers will be looking for a defensive defenseman, and or a two-way, checking forward.

He thinks that the Panthers would rather make a hockey deal, someone who is going to stay past this season, rather than a rental.

He said Brenden Dillon from the Sharks would be the type of player Florida would look at, but being a UFA at season's end might turn them off. He says if they can add a defensive defenseman then they would be happy and feel better about their playoff chances.

Sounds like Alec Martinez. At 4M he's got a pretty decent price tag too. They'd have to clear out Matheson or Yandle long term though. I guess I get the thinking of making a non- rental move. Why spend futures this deadline and then potentially spend more next deadline for another defenseman? Because next season we will probably, hopefully, be better. I see next season as the year we start to "go for it". We might be giving picks to Seattle too so that's a lot of picks and prospects we'd be shipping out the door in the span of a year.

Martinez and Ek would make a pretty good top pair.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Nashville is just a complete mess right now. They were solid for so many years, too bad for them they never acquired the pieces to put them over the top.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad