GDT: Around the League

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
31 Thoughts: What really happened with Connor McDavid's knee rehab - Sportsnet.ca

Friedman speculating that Keith to the Panthers if Chicago falls out of the race.

source.gif

Reactions: Pumaconcolorcoryi

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Can’t see us doing that unless they take a D salary back, otherwise there is no way we re-sign Dads. With the way Hoff is playing, I’d like to move a Dman in the off-season to re-sign him as well, but even that doesn’t seem likely to happen IMO.

We can fit Keith this year without moving any salary. Next year at least Hoff and Pysyk will be off the books. Maybe move one of Math or Yandle? Plus the cap should be higher.

I think it's doable if they really want him. Which I think they do

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
We can fit Keith this year without moving any salary. Next year at least Hoff and Pysyk will be off the books. Maybe move one of Math or Yandle? Plus the cap should be higher.

I think it's doable if they really want him. Which I think they do

I don’t see where we have the space for it. We don’t have the space to add him, unless salary goes back, and Chicago retains.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
I don’t see where we have the space for it. We don’t have the space to add him, unless salary goes back, and Chicago retains.

Salary proration.

At the deadline, we have $2,373,333

That number includes Monty and Stillman being in the AHL though. But, Keith's cap hit would also be much lesser once the deadline comes (roughly 1,350,844 at 25% left of the season).

Reactions: Kellyr

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle

We have about 2.4 million space and Keith's cap this year or what's left of it is already under that. I don't doubt some salary like Pysyk going back but still it's doable.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Salary proration.

At the deadline, we have $2,373,333

That number includes Monty and Stillman being in the AHL though. But, Keith's cap hit would also be much lesser once the deadline comes (roughly 1,350,844 at 25% left of the season).

Well with both those players back, and Weegs back as well, we can’t get Duncan without sending some cap back. And we are also taking a big chance there, because not only for the amount Keith has left on his deal, but we are also going to need to move Yandle or Matty in the off-season, which won’t be an easy task. Plus I don’t think Keith is really the way to go here.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Well with both those players back, and Weegs back as well, we can’t get Duncan without sending some cap back. And we are also taking a big chance there, because not only for the amount Keith has left on his deal, but we are also going to need to move Yandle or Matty in the off-season, which won’t be an easy task. Plus I don’t think Keith is really the way to go here.

That is under the assumption they sign Dadonov AND Hoffman though. We have 16 Mil available next year with Boyle, Hoff, Pysyk, and Dads as the UFAs.

RFAs are Jayce, Malgs, and Toninato.

As far as Keith is concerned, I trust he can play till 39 which is when his contract ends. Soupy was still really really good at 37(?) for us. And Keith is a hella of a lot better than Soup. But I do understand the risk, that would be 3 "old" D-men on the roster.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
That is under the assumption they sign Dadonov AND Hoffman though. We have 16 Mil available next year with Boyle, Hoff, Pysyk, and Dads as the UFAs.

RFAs are Jayce, Malgs, and Toninato.

As far as Keith is concerned, I trust he can play till 39 which is when his contract ends. Soupy was still really really good at 37(?) for us. And Keith is a hella of a lot better than Soup. But I do understand the risk, that would be 3 "old" D-men on the roster.

Way too much $ invested on the D core IMO.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
Here's to hoping that the Islanders continue to crater. I don't want to watch that boring ass team in the playoffs.

Also, we're not catching Tampa.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
If we are looking to add a Dman, I’d like Brodin. He would really help in our own zone, which is a strength if his. We really done need more offensive-minded Dmen.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
If we are looking to add a Dman, I’d like Brodin. He would really help in our own zone, which is a strength if his. We really done need more offensive-minded Dmen.

Keith is two-way through and through. He's been a 40-50 point guy almost all his career and while the offense is drying up a bit, he can still shut guys down like the best of them. Remember, he's won Norris and Conn Smythe. He's still awesome.

Re: Brodin- would be nice but they probably want something crazy in return.

Reactions: klabob

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
id take keith in a heart beat. even with 3yrs left. but since he still does have 3yrs left then we'd have to move yandle, stralman, or matheson. matheson will ride a wave for a while then come crashing back down, so I dont trust him longterm, though he has been fine for the last 15-20 games now, and if they want him with ekblad then I doubt tallon moves him, and with his contract it may be difficult anyways. keith makes 5.5+, stralman makes 5.5, and yandle at 6.35. would make sense if they took yandle. both LD, both in their 30s, both with 3yrs left on their deals. both have nmc's though. if not to chicago, yandle would probably be the odd man out regardless.

Matheson-Ekblad
Keith-Weegar
Stillman-Stralman

Reactions: Kellyr

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011

Keith is two-way through and through. He's been a 40-50 point guy almost all his career and while the offense is drying up a bit, he can still shut guys down like the best of them. Remember, he's won Norris and Conn Smythe. He's still awesome.

Re: Brodin- would be nice but they probably want something crazy in return.
Re: Campbell, his decline defensively wasn't as steep, though Keith had a longer way to fall in comparison.

Have you guys actually seen Keith play the last couple years? He's a shell of his glory days and he isn't going to get any better. Hawks can buyout that contract if they want, but I wouldn't touch it even with 50% retained. Too many years left for an aging player.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Re: Campbell, his decline defensively wasn't as steep, though Keith had a longer way to fall in comparison.

Have you guys actually seen Keith play the last couple years? He's a shell of his glory days and he isn't going to get any better. Hawks can buyout that contract if they want, but I wouldn't touch it even with 50% retained. Too many years left for an aging player.

Disagree. If you're talking about the 70 point two-way guy (unlike Karlsson/Burns) who won Norris then yeah he isn't the same anymore but still a top pairing guy. In 2017 he was named one of nhl's top 100 players ever, those guys don't just fall off the cliff. Plus he won the Conn Smythe in 2015, I think he would still have another gear in the playoffs.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Disagree. If you're talking about the 70 point two-way guy (unlike Karlsson/Burns) who won Norris then yeah he isn't the same anymore but still a top pairing guy. In 2017 he was named one of nhl's top 100 players ever, those guys don't just fall off the cliff. Plus he won the Conn Smythe in 2015, I think he would still have another gear in the playoffs.
Why wouldn't great players be affected by age? Why not look at his actual play instead of assuming something like that? He's bleeding shots from the front of the net and I don't think we need more of that.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Why wouldn't great players be affected by age? Why not look at his actual play instead of assuming something like that? He's bleeding shots from the front of the net and I don't think we need more of that.

If you watch this guy you'll see he still can play, at least when he wants to. I'm sure playing on a bad team the last couple years isn't very motivating after three cups. Evaluating a guy based on stats is garbage.

I didn't say he's not affected by age. Actually I said the opposite. What I did say is great players generally don't just fall off a cliff, Keith may be declining but I wouldn't expect him to be inept suddenly. If Chara is playing hockey at 42, Keith should easily be able to at 39 when the contract ends. And the 5.5 million cap hit isn't bad at all.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ

Look at what you are saying...he won the Conn Smythe in 2015...that was how many years ago now? He is getting up there in age, is not as good as he was even a few seasons ago, and he is worth a lot of money over the next three seasons after this one. Id rather offer up more assets for a Dman that is more sound in his own end (Brodin), and try and have a chance to at least get some of our wingers re-signed. If Yans was a UFA after this season, then I could see us going after Keith, but we already have almost $25 million committed to the D core next season. Adding another $5+ million is a mistake, especially when its not helping out where it really needs to, which is in our own end.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Look at what you are saying...he won the Conn Smythe in 2015...that was how many years ago now? He is getting up there in age, is not as good as he was even a few seasons ago, and he is worth a lot of money over the next three seasons after this one. Id rather offer up more assets for a Dman that is more sound in his own end (Brodin), and try and have a chance to at least get some of our wingers re-signed. If Yans was a UFA after this season, then I could see us going after Keith, but we already have almost $25 million committed to the D core next season. Adding another $5+ million is a mistake, especially when its not helping out where it really needs to, which is in our own end.

Re: Keith
Keith may be declining but I wouldn't expect him to be inept suddenly. If Chara is playing hockey at 42, Keith should easily be able to at 39 when the contract ends. And the 5.5 million cap hit isn't bad at all.

Re: Brodin

Like I said I don't mind him. He'll cost a lot more though and also has a 4+ million cap hit, so the defense would be still loaded cap wise.

Would totally depend on the cost.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->