GDT: Around the League

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Hey everybody, I know you hate us, (the Lightning) and we hate you, but let's get together in the first round of the playoffs and hate each other more when it comes to the postseason. I hate the Maple Fleas a 1000 times over your team so let's make it happen?
Why would we hate you? Tampa's like the fun older more successful sibling/cousin - at worst, you get annoyed when parents and grandparents keep comparing you to them at birthday parties and find you lacking... ("See Cats, look at Tampa! If only you applied yourself a bit more, maybe you might make the playoffs every once in a while...")

It'd be cool to get a little friendly rivalry going but at the same time we're kinda hoping for our first playoff series win since 1996... :dunno:

Last edited:

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Makes sense on Campbell.
Friedman was saying Dubas knows Campbell, he traded for him back in 2011-12 in OHL.
Clifford is more of what they need but what about that defense still?

I don't think Clifford moves the needle compared to Moore. Campbell is decent I guess? First I thought it was just a third rounder for both of them but it's minimum 2x3rds and probably a 2nd and a 3rd. That's a big price considering you could've had a back-up for free earlier.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I don't think Clifford moves the needle compared to Moore. Campbell is decent I guess? First I thought it was just a third rounder for both of them but it's minimum 2x3rds and probably a 2nd and a 3rd. That's a big price considering you could've had a back-up for free earlier.

Ya Dubas is scrambling now to fix things that would have cost less at the start of the year. Obviously the situation is more dire now with the injury to Andersen but they did check off two boxes here but for me, he didnt address the main need of a defenseman. If Clifford was a defenseman then itd make more sense with his type of game.

Feel teams will key in on Muzzin, hit him and make things difficult because if they lose him again, that defense is soft as baby poo

Still like our team toughness/make up better than theirs and we haven't even made any trades yet.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Ya Dubas is scrambling now to fix things that would have cost less at the start of the year. Obviously the situation is more dire now with the injury to Andersen but they did check off two boxes here but for me, he didnt address the main need of a defenseman. If Clifford was a defenseman then itd make more sense with his type of game.

Feel teams will key in on Muzzin, hit him and make things difficult because if they lose him again, that defense is soft as baby poo

Still like our team toughness/make up better than theirs and we haven't even made any trades yet.

Yeah and Towonto is running out of draft capital. If they acquire a D of any value it's minimum 2nd pick +, they could go to the draft with no picks in the first three rounds. Plus they'll have to pay premium because in any trade the other team will have to retain.

And honestly I don't think Campbell will be big enough of an upgrade to matter, that Toronto D is worse than ours right now.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Yeah and Towonto is running out of draft capital. If they acquire a D of any value it's minimum 2nd pick +, they could go to the draft with no picks in the first three rounds. Plus they'll have to pay premium because in any trade the other team will have to retain.

And honestly I don't think Campbell will be big enough of an upgrade to matter, that Toronto D is worse than ours right now.
Hard to think we beat Toronto the other night with Campbell in net. He's nothing special but Hutch is awful

Reactions: klabob

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

Ya they're burning the candle at both ends and it's fun to watch.
Worst case scenario for them is to miss the playoffs with no picks as you said so it's kind of an all in move for this year. So much added pressure on a team that already has enough. Real boom or bust move.

I give Tallon credit for being patient and wouldn't harp on him if he goes with this group as is to further draft and develop the C and D depth charts but also think he'd be more willing to move a 1st+ if the expansion draft wasn't next year. The thought of losing one this year and next if we use the 2021 1st to protect a player keeps us from finding two solid pieces long term.

Very curious what Dale has planned but feel we're in a pretty good spot.
If we continue our 6 in 5 pace through this tough February, you look at our March and most of the teams we play will be stripped down after trade deadline where as TOR's end to February and start of March is full of playoff caliber teams. :D

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
He won't steal any but he might make sure they don't lose games they should win like the one against us. Every point counts.

Maybe. But Toronto's D is awful, not sure any back-up makes a difference unless he's a 1B type. We're actually trending the opposite direction, I feel like our D is getting a bit better and theirs is worse due to Rielly's injury. Just checked they're third worst in GA.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Maybe. But Toronto's D is awful, not sure any back-up makes a difference unless he's a 1B type. We're actually trending the opposite direction, I feel like our D is getting a bit better and theirs is worse due to Rielly's injury. Just checked they're third worst in GA.
I do think we're trending in the right direction too, especially Bob. I guess my point is that Hutch is so bad that any goaltender who doesn't straight up suck, is going to make a difference for them because Hutch is just awful.

MPGA

Make the Panthers Great Again
Nov 25, 2013
Hey everybody, I know you hate us, (the Lightning) and we hate you, but let's get together in the first round of the playoffs and hate each other more when it comes to the postseason. I hate the Maple Fleas a 1000 times over your team so let's make it happen?

Yall hate us? Why? We are harmless :laugh:

Reactions: I am not exposed

AK Bolt Fan

Jan 17, 2015
Chugiak, Alaska
Yall hate us? Why? We are harmless :laugh:
Hey, all in good clean fun. I just know when a team from Florida could hurt any Canadian teams, I am all for it. You get the same crap from the fans from up north saying we don't have this and we don't have that. When the Bolts won the cup in 2004, you should have heard the crap we heard from the Habs fans. We had no tradition and the like, and 4 games later the Bolts swept them away. I hate the fans of Canadian teams.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Another 3rd period collapse in the making for TOR?
ANA ties it at 3 with 7 mins to go
They lost Gudbranson early and Manson fell awkwardly and may have hit his head, left the game in 3rd so Ducks are down to 4 D

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
So muzzin headshots kase clear as day and leafs score a little later. Never change nhl. Let your little darlings make it. Such an unlikeable douchebag team they have in Toronto.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad