GDT: Around the League

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Re: Keith

Re: Brodin

Like I said I don't mind him. He'll cost a lot more though and also has a 4+ million cap hit, so the defense would be still loaded cap wise.

Would totally depend on the cost.

Yeah, but we dont need Keith. We need Dmen who are good in their own zone, not more 2-way Dmen. And just because Chara has made it past his 40s in the league, it doesnt meant everyone can. Im not saying Keith can or cannot, I just dont see him as a need.

As for Brodin, Id give up a lot to get him. He is only 26 years old, and his play in the D zone would be an upgrade for us right now, and for the future of the blueline.

Reactions: I am not exposed

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
If you watch this guy you'll see he still can play, at least when he wants to. I'm sure playing on a bad team the last couple years isn't very motivating after three cups. Evaluating a guy based on stats is garbage.

I didn't say he's not affected by age. Actually I said the opposite. What I did say is great players generally don't just fall off a cliff, Keith may be declining but I wouldn't expect him to be inept suddenly. If Chara is playing hockey at 42, Keith should easily be able to at 39 when the contract ends. And the 5.5 million cap hit isn't bad at all.
You are excusing his poor play because he's not playing for a contender and you want to bring him to play for the Florida Panthers? That's bold. I've watched him play, he has significantly declined, he looks like Yandle out there in the corner and in front of the net. Also, if being in the playoff hunt can't motivate him, I don't want his lazy ass on the team showing the young guys how to only cash checks while not caring.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Yeah, but we dont need Keith. We need Dmen who are good in their own zone, not more 2-way Dmen. And just because Chara has made it past his 40s in the league, it doesnt meant everyone can. Im not saying Keith can or cannot, I just dont see him as a need.

As for Brodin, Id give up a lot to get him. He is only 26 years old, and his play in the D zone would be an upgrade for us right now, and for the future of the blueline.

I don't know how you define two-way but to me it means you can play defense. And Keith can and I'm sure in the playoffs he would take it up a notch.

You are excusing his poor play because he's not playing for a contender and you want to bring him to play for the Florida Panthers? That's bold. I've watched him play, he has significantly declined, he looks like Yandle out there in the corner and in front of the net. Also, if being in the playoff hunt can't motivate him, I don't want his lazy ass on the team showing the young guys how to only cash checks while not caring.

He was selected as one of the best to ever play the game in 2017 along with guys like Lindstrom, Pronger and Niedermayer. There are like 6-7 guys to play in the last three decades that are in that group. If your point is that he's significantly declined from that then yes, I agree. But he looks nothing like Yandle lol, come on. Yandle can't carry Keith's jockstrap.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
He was selected as one of the best to ever play the game in 2017 along with guys like Lindstrom, Pronger and Niedermayer. There are like 6-7 guys to play in the last three decades that are in that group. If your point is that he's significantly declined from that then yes, I agree. But he looks nothing like Yandle lol, come on. Yandle can't carry Keith's jockstrap.
You can keep pretending Keith is still great and be blinded by his past accomplishments, but he's not that player anymore or close to it.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
You can keep pretending Keith is still great and be blinded by his past accomplishments, but he's not that player anymore or close to it.

I don't know, seems like you're debating against yourself here. We don't have a great defender on the team. And while Keith isn't one anymore and I never claimed that, he's still good and would be a top pairing guy for us. If he can capture even a bit of his former greatness during the playoffs he would be a massive asset for this team.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
I don't know, seems like you're debating against yourself here. We don't have a great defender on the team. And while Keith isn't one anymore and I never claimed that, he's still good and would be a top pairing guy for us. If he can capture even a bit of his former greatness during the playoffs he would be a massive asset for this team.
I'm not debating against myself, Keith was great, but he isn't anymore. We just played against Chicago and there was plenty of opportunities around the net because he couldn't clear it. Then he was caught sleeping and was deked by Ekblad on the 3rd goal, pathetic. The only reason he'd be on the first pairing here is nostalgia, not because of his level of play.

HockeyRulez

Panthers hockey since 1993
Nov 11, 2010
The Sunshine State
If the ask for Keith is reasonable, I do it. If they ask too much then stay away. He isn’t the same player but he definitely would help our D and is the type of player you need for a playoff run.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
I don't really have a solid idea of how cap space works at the deadline, but I don't see how we'd be able to add Keith without sending salary back, plus Chicago would probably have to retain a good chunk as well, so I don't really see that happening.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
I'd pay a 3rd for Keith with salary retained but that's it.

A nice low cost-Jagr type trade

And yes, I do watch the Hawks cause I am a Keith fan.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Easy pass on Keith. We need a physical shut down d who will punish people. That’s about it. Bigger ga improvement comes from team play and bob

Reactions: Chaos2k7

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
If you read what Friedman actually wrote in the article, he said something along the lines of " if the Hawks fall out of a playoff spot, would Joel Quenneville ask to pitch Keith on coming to south Florida?"

Doesn't even seem like a legitimate rumor he heard, more just Elliote spitballing and thinking "that'd be fun".

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
While I agree with the majority opinion here on Keith, I gotta tip my hat to Kellyr, he put up a mighty fight on this topic against basically everyone. Well done, solid points, no shame.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
While I agree with the majority opinion here on Keith, I gotta tip my hat to Kellyr, he put up a mighty fight on this topic against basically everyone. Well done, solid points, no shame.

Well being in the majority doesn't mean much, if anything I have a better chance of being right :laugh:

Besides there's a difference between wanting him and saying he sucks. People who think he sucks are just plain wrong and haven't watched him. He's still got it and is a pitbull in the playoffs, you don't win Connman Smythe for nothing. He'd be a perfect mentor for someone like Math too.

Fern111

Dec 20, 2015
I'd rather have Keith than Brodin for one simple reason, Keith has playoff experience and knows what it takes to win. We've got a young team with almost no experience, we're gonna have some tough stretches during the playoffs where we'll need someone to pull us out of our funk and I think someone who's won before and can act as a Mini-Q amongst the players could do a lot of positive things for this core. Brodin hasn't been through the same playoffs experience.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Anyone know what Lebrun wrote about us in his 31-team trade deadline article?

Basically, that the Panthers will be looking for a defensive defenseman, and or a two-way, checking forward.

He thinks that the Panthers would rather make a hockey deal, someone who is going to stay past this season, rather than a rental.

He said Brenden Dillon from the Sharks would be the type of player Florida would look at, but being a UFA at season's end might turn them off. He says if they can add a defensive defenseman then they would be happy and feel better about their playoff chances.

Last edited:
Reactions: batting1k

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Basically, that the Panthers will be looking for a defensive defenseman, and or a two-way, checking forward.

He thinks that the Panthers would rather make a hockey deal, then someone who is going to stay past this season, rather than a rental.

He said Brenden Dillon from the Sharks would be the type of player Florida would look at, but being a UFA at season's end might turn them off. He says if they can add a defensive defenseman then they would be happy and feel better about their playoff chances.
Ugh. It’s okay for us to get a rental. We don’t need to be so conservative with our “assets” if it means getting the right player. Who cares if Dillon is a UFA, maybe he signs an extension if he’s a fit, maybe he sucks, let’s get into into the playoffs and try to go on a run. Not having a middle pair d under contract for the future is such a worthless concern if you can make the team better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad