Around the League Thread | Post Free Agent Frenzy Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015

Well, that explains it, then.

Kale, broccoli and spinach have so few calories and are, in raw form, tough enough to chew that MacKinnon would have to be spending all his energy exercising his jaw and stuffing his stomach while not getting enough calories to maintain his weight. No matter he doesn't have the energy to win a Cup.

[Tongue firmly in cheek-I eat a lot of kale and broccoli.]

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
Yikes Tkachuk is the grown version of that annoying ass ADHD kid we all had as a teammate as kids.. tons of talent but not one person can stand him.

If you have ADHD don't take offense to this lol.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
So you still work for the same company that you first got a job for as a kid? Cool.
Tkachuk wants to leave Calgary for no good reason. Their locker room is a disaster and he's supposed to be a young leader. Instead he's a cancer.

It's like a company appreciates your skills, but you destroy relationships with colleagues and they have to terminate you.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Yikes Tkachuk is the grown version of that annoying ass ADHD kid we all had as a teammate as kids.. tons of talent but not one person can stand him.

If you have ADHD don't take offense to this lol.
Man I was just about to rip you a new one.
lol jkjk
I know how annoying I can be sometimes

Reactions: BWJM

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Calgary doesn’t have an old team. Not sure why people can’t recognize that. They also just lost their oldest player.

I get saying they don’t have a championship mix but they’re not old.

Exactly, most of their team is fairly prime-aged. They're in their contention window right now, if anything.

They could stand to beef up their bottom 6 though; Backlund is great to have in the 3C spot, but he needs more help other than having Dube to play with.

Losing Giordano stings, but if they acquire another top 4 D-man somehow (via trade or in-house with someone such as Valimaki developing further) they look alright. I'm not really sold on Zadorov being that guy for them however. To me their biggest question mark is still on defence.

Reactions: Rumsfeld

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Tkachuk wants to leave Calgary for no good reason. Their locker room is a disaster and he's supposed to be a young leader. Instead he's a cancer.

It's like a company appreciates your skills, but you destroy relationships with colleagues and they have to terminate you.

I am sure one day your boss will notice and you will get promoted!

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015

The Calgary locker room has been a mess since like the Iginla/Phaneuf days. So like at least a decade, if not longer.

The current iteration of the Flames are a disjointed mess. They need to make changes. Bringing in Sutter for the Nth time and trading for Eichel won't do it, though.

Rumsfeld

Oct 3, 2020
Exactly, most of their team is fairly prime-aged. They're in their contention window right now, if anything.

They could stand to beef up their bottom 6 though; Backlund is great to have in the 3C spot, but he needs more help other than having Dube to play with.

Losing Giordano stings, but if they acquire another top 4 D-man somehow (via trade or in-house with someone such as Valimaki developing further) they look alright. I'm not really sold on Zadorov being that guy for them however. To me their biggest question mark is still on defence.

I'm also expecting a big bounce-back season from Markstrom. That alone should make them a team to be reckoned with in a bad division.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC

Tkachuk wants to leave Calgary because well..it's Calgary.
What's he gonna do beside go to Chinook Mall and eat Verns Pizza?

Reactions: Get North

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
There’s something rotten in Calgary that goes beyond Tkachuk, but he’s definitely a part of the issue. He’d be a fine hockey player if he could shut his damn mouth and play hockey. But he’s too immature and focussed on being a sideshow. Doesn’t surprise me that he wants out (figures he will be better appreciated elsewhere), or that the Flames want to move on (ideally acquire a similar impact player minus the headaches)

Eichel to Calgary would be interesting. But the Sabres won’t want to acquire a player who could just walk in a year.

Reactions: Get North

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
There’s something rotten in Calgary that goes beyond Tkachuk, but he’s definitely a part of the issue. He’d be a fine hockey player if he could shut his damn mouth and play hockey. But he’s too immature and focussed on being a sideshow. Doesn’t surprise me that he wants out (figures he will be better appreciated elsewhere), or that the Flames want to move on (ideally acquire a similar impact player minus the headaches)

Eichel to Calgary would be interesting. But the Sabres won’t want to acquire a player who could just walk in a year.

Could be management, how many of the players were all giddy when the Flames got Darryl Sutter again? Somehow nepotism caught up within the organization…

The Flames are trying to recreate 2004 all over again, except this time who’s the Iginla and Kiprusoff? No offense to Markstrom but Kipper had a long stretch of success..same with Iginla who was super consistent.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Love Tkachuk and the way he plays, would love to have him on my team. He seemed to care more than the rest of his teammates, I don't blame him for being upset and "pouty".

IMO - the way he plays right now is just a more talented Matt Cooke. At some point, teammates become frustrated fighting your battles for you, as we’ve seen.

He has the talent to be an incredible player without the stupid antics. He just doesn’t want to do it.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
Pelech signs for 5.75m…. what a steal

Jealous. Pacific Division has some of the more overpaid dmen in the league. Bonkers bad.

Karlsson, Vlasic, Myers, OEL, Doughty. Soon to be Nurse, if the rumors are true

Then you have old guys like Burns, Giordano, Keith who are on their last legs getting paid top dollars.

Reactions: CanuckCity and DFAC

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Fairly certain Ken Holland and Jim Benning are the same people

Reactions: Nucker101

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Could be management, how many of the players were all giddy when the Flames got Darryl Sutter again? Somehow nepotism caught up within the organization…

The Flames are trying to recreate 2004 all over again, except this time who’s the Iginla and Kiprusoff? No offense to Markstrom but Kipper had a long stretch of success..same with Iginla who was super consistent.
I've always thought that Darryl Sutter was a good coach..a crafty, crusty vet, who plays his cards pretty well..(his deadpan press conferences are hilarious)...I don't think that he's universally 'liked ' by his players though...

I thought that the Flames would kick it up a notch when Sutter was hired..but the team imploded...Marky was out for a bit, but on the whole, they were healthy.

Reactions: F A N

Deeds26

Nov 11, 2006

Isles with a hell of a great signing
Oilers on the verge of a umm not so great signing. I like Nurse, but not at that price.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015

I feel like someone in the Oilers front office should be cracking this:

41ALxbiYMBL._SX345_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

And then I recall that Benning isn't finished yet and I nervously await what is to come.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Lesson to be learned from the recent D extensions: if you bridge your star players it's going to cost you big. I believe Nurse wanted to go long on his last deal but Edmonton didn't have the cap space to pull it off.

Worth mentioning that Nurse was bridged twice (2 years each time). Bridge deals aren't the worst thing in the world, look at the Pelech contract today, or the way Tampa Bay does business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad