Around the League Thread | Post Free Agent Frenzy Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Those 2 are on their ufa deals. Can compare the likes of Jones to them and werenski.
DD was at $7 mill on a lower cap when he got contract 2. EK under $7 mill on his prior deal.
Does the $2 mill or so more that Makar got work out to a similar percentage of the cap when DD got his second contract?
Ever heard of Thomas Chabot?

What about Pernell Karl Subban?

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
it may be a bias from watching him for years beforehand, but after watching nurse a lot this year i don't see him as a top tier dman worth that kind of money.

i seem to be losing touch with the market.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
it may be a bias from watching him for years beforehand, but after watching nurse a lot this year i don't see him as a top tier dman worth that kind of money.

i seem to be losing touch with the market.
Might have something to do with the fact he was heading into UFA years..but does he deserve more than Heskanen, or Makar.?.I don't think he's at their level.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Oilers we're unwilling to give Nurse low 7's long term 2 seasons ago and one performance in a 6 team league with an absurd shooting percentage got him paid.

extending that logic, perhaps teams are trying to extend players longterm right now on the assumption things are only going to get worse when the flat cap situation fades.

will nurse seem like a bargain in three years?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Oilers we're unwilling to give Nurse low 7's long term 2 seasons ago and one performance in a 6 team league with an absurd shooting percentage got him paid.

It's possible that there was a plan. The Oilers did previously sign Nurse to a deal that would have walked him right up to free agency. Usually teams don't do that on a short term deal with a star level player. Objectively speaking, are you not more comfortable with what Nurse is going forward today than in Feb. 2020?

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Nurse was just 7th in Norris voting.

There is no planet where you could sign him to a smaller deal than what Werenski just got.

Who cares about Norris voting? Werenski was offered more simply to stay in CJB imo and yes, unfortunately that affects the market as a whole. I'm not sure that means Nurse needs to get paid a similar amount however, especially I has completely disagree with your assessment that Nurse is way better than Werenski. Werenski is a better player imo. Will be very interesting to see how Nurse does moving forward - I expect a regression for both him personally and the Oilers as a team.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Who cares about Norris voting? Werenski was offered more simply to stay in CJB imo and yes, unfortunately that affects the market as a whole. I'm not sure that means Nurse needs to get paid a similar amount however, especially I has completely disagree with your assessment that Nurse is way better than Werenski. Werenski is a better player imo. Will be very interesting to see how Nurse does moving forward - I expect a regression for both him personally and the Oilers as a team.

I'm pretty sure Nurse's agent cares about Norris voting. Nurse was clearly a top-10 defender in the league last year.

I am not a fan of Werenski at all and feel that Nurse is better at everything except PP utility. Others may obviously disagree.

Regardless, in terms of age/success Werenski is about the closest comparable you could possibly find. There was no way in hell Nurse was coming in at less than that once Werenski's deal was signed. Especially when he's agreeing to stay in a very undesirable market in Edmonton. And also I believe Nurse's deal buys an extra UFA year.

Edmonton will likely regress as a team this year mostly because their goaltending is horrific and Smith is unlikely to have another fluke outlier season at age 40.

Reactions: ataraxia

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
The Oilers have to bite the bullet and move koskinen, and find a cheaper backup to 60/40 with smith.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
OEL's career will have to do a complete 180 to be a $5 million player.
We'll have to see but I'm hoping for the best and a slight bump for him. I don't like the contract myself but he's here now. Hopefully with less pressure and a better supporting cast he gains something from the last couple years. Pressure meaning from being the saviour in Arizona to just another player here. Fan pressure is another thing and I hope he's ready for that.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
You know it but OEL actually will play not as a 7 million player but at least as a 5 million one. Eriksson looked like a league minimum bum.

Obviously we have the benefit of hindsight now but I think Eriksson had a better chance of living up to his contract than OEL.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
We'll have to see but I'm hoping for the best and a slight bump for him. I don't like the contract myself but he's here now. Hopefully with less pressure and a better supporting cast he gains something from the last couple years. Pressure meaning from being the saviour in Arizona to just another player here. Fan pressure is another thing and I hope he's ready for that.

The thing is, he wasn't 'asked to be the saviour' in Arizona last year. Or the year before.

Jakob Chychrun is the star #1 guy there and he's been carrying the mail in terms of the biggest ES/SH TOI for the last couple years. Goligoski was the #2.

Arizona was asking OEL to anchor a competent 2nd pairing as their #3 guy, and he got absolutely eviscerated. Right now this is a lazy, soft defensive liability who needs to have a huge turnaround to even be a $3.5 million solid 2nd pairing defender.

He actually has a *worse* supporting cast on the blueline here and will be asked to to *more* than he was doing in Arizona.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
That contract will be up when he's 35, he'll be getting paid $9.5m a year for 4 post-prime years. Yikes.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
We really dont have to wait and see. All relevant information is readily available.

Hoping for a bounce-back is little more than juvenile rose colored glasses.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
The thing is, he wasn't 'asked to be the saviour' in Arizona last year. Or the year before.

Jakob Chychrun is the star #1 guy there and he's been carrying the mail in terms of the biggest ES/SH TOI for the last couple years. Goligoski was the #2.

Arizona was asking OEL to anchor a competent 2nd pairing as their #3 guy, and he got absolutely eviscerated. Right now this is a lazy, soft defensive liability who needs to have a huge turnaround to even be a $3.5 million solid 2nd pairing defender.

He actually has a *worse* supporting cast on the blueline here and will be asked to to *more* than he was doing in Arizona.

Didn't Benning say that he was brought in as a first pairing guy to take the pressure off of Hughes? That should debunk the "he won't have to be a #1 here" talk.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015

Big difference is he actually wants to be here not like Arizona..... I dont think he will be as bad as all your doom and gloomers think he will be. He was still on pace for a 40 point season on a very defensively minded Arizona team. But most importantly he shelters Hughes and Rathbone from getting eaten alive by every other teams top line. If last year taught us anything its that Hughes cant handle the big minutes and defensive responsibilities.

Reactions: Killer Orcas

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Big difference is he actually wants to be here not like Arizona..... I dont think he will be as bad as all your doom and gloomers think he will be. He was still on pace for a 40 point season on a very defensively minded Arizona team. But most importantly he shelters Hughes and Rathbone from getting eaten alive by every other teams top line. If last year taught us anything its that Hughes cant handle the big minutes and defensive responsibilities.
Oel cant handle big mins or defensive responsibilities either and will most likely get eaten alive too.

We're not playing in the North div anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad