Around the League Thread | Post Free Agent Frenzy Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
Interesting read on MacKinnon. On the one hand his drive, determination, hard work and intensity is a positive and as a teammate I would imagine it would rub off on me and push me to another level.
On the other hand, the yelling, embarassing teammates and being a sore loser in practice will probably not sit well with some.
I guess it's similar to the Keenan/Tortorella effect. Some thrived under their abuse while other wilts. It depends on the type of person you are. I would hate to be coached by these 2, but you can't argue with their success.

Was thinking the same thing. It would be like Torts but as a teammate. If the losing starts then it could get ugly.

Last edited:

December5th

Feb 5, 2021
victoria
there should at least be a way for gms to sign loyal declining players without taking huge hits to the cap. like extra cap that's only allocated to older players on your team that dont get many points and has been on your team for 8+ years. pre cap era you could reward your old veterans, but now you are usually hurting the team. there should be some separation to the cap of players and what they make in these cases.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
MacKinnon was mean to me and glared at me when I missed a pass, now I’m sad and want to be traded :(

There are country club leaderships out there to go play for if you want. Vancouver is always welcoming to those kinda players!

Time has changed. Coaches who play mind games are considered abusive. Look what happened to Babcock. He didn't physically assault any of his players. But the verbal abuse and mind games were deemed inappropriate. Heck, Klimovich was seen yelling at his teammates on the bench. It's considered a red flag.

Zadorov liked him and said he does it to make his team better. Seems like a great leader to me He is a top playoff and regular season performer. He is as good as anyone in the nhl and wants others to improve. They are elite athletes would should have high expectations if you cannot be near perfect in practice than how will you be in a game?

But there are better ways of doing that. Which respected NHL leader was known for berating their teammates rather than simply pulling the teammate aside and telling him what he needs to do to be better? If MacKinnon made a bad pass in practice does he immediately apologize? Can a teammate scream at him? I think not?

Whether it is Gretzky, Lemieux, or Crosby these best players in the NHL never pulled the shit MacKinnon is apparently pulling.

Reactions: tradervik

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
there should at least be a way for gms to sign loyal declining players without taking huge hits to the cap. like extra cap that's only allocated to older players on your team that dont get many points and has been on your team for 8+ years. pre cap era you could reward your old veterans, but now you are usually hurting the team. there should be some separation to the cap of players and what they make in these cases.
There is, its called players taking progressively less in relation to the degree of decline you referenced.
See for example J. Spezza etc

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
The players get 50%, so all little exceptions like that would do is cause other players to pay more into escrow, while allowing big money rosters to exceed the cap.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Zadorov liked him and said he does it to make his team better. Seems like a great leader to me He is a top playoff and regular season performer. He is as good as anyone in the nhl and wants others to improve. They are elite athletes would should have high expectations if you cannot be near perfect in practice than how will you be in a game?

It's called practice for a reason.

No, I don't think Zadorov dislikes Mackinnon's style. But there's no way a collection of 23+ guys all "respond well" to this style of "leadership".

Again, wanting others to improve is great. Screaming at people for a simple mistake probably isn't going to make them more skilled. Cutting out diet pop and switching from whole grain to chickpea pasta probably isn't going to make you better at hockey. I get that they are professionals, so they should already have reasonably clean diets. If a guy is eating pizza and McDonald's every day, alright let 'em have it. But otherwise...uh? Michael Phelps ate like 5000 calories of pancakes every day for breakfast. It's fine.

Reactions: F A N

bertuzzi2bure

Apr 14, 2021

No, I don't think Zadorov dislikes Mackinnon's style. But there's no way a collection of 23+ guys all "respond well" to this style of "leadership".

Again, wanting others to improve is great. Screaming at people for a simple mistake probably isn't going to make them more skilled. Cutting out diet pop and switching from whole grain to chickpea pasta probably isn't going to make you better at hockey. I get that they are professionals, so they should already have reasonably clean diets. If a guy is eating pizza and McDonald's every day, alright let 'em have it. But otherwise...uh? Michael Phelps ate like 5000 calories of pancakes every day for breakfast. It's fine.

Exactly. Also some pasta before a game is awesome. Plenty of NHLers and athletes eat pasta or similar carbs pre game for fuel.

Reactions: bossram

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

I guess if Willie Mitchell and Mackinnon was on the same team with Gillis as the GM, Mackinnon would be wearing all the sleep tracking wristbands. :sarcasm:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Interesting.

Would think they could be a prime landing spot for a President of Hockey Ops role for Jeff Gorton, who I'm a) shocked/disappointed hasn't been hired by someone yet b) is looking even better with Drury's first few weeks on the job.

Would Gorton prefer a GM role instead? Although the President of Hockey Ops is higher in the pecking order, it seems that those who are solely in the President position have come to defer to his GM.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Eichel to calgary, tkachuk out according to some ITK on calgarypuck

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Eichel to calgary, tkachuk out according to some ITK on calgarypuck

20210805_150001.jpg
20210805_150205.jpg
20210805_150209.jpg

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Tarasenko and Eichel could really backfire in a hurry if their injuries prove to be life lasting.

Not sure if Calgary wants to decimate their team to add Eichel, but a #1C is what they've lacked the past 25+ years. They should really be rebuilding though.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Americans are ruining sports. Why can't they shut up and play on the team that drafted them longer than 5 seasons. Eichel is being a chicken even though there's a ton of young talent on that roster. Tkachuk wants to go home even though he has a great head coach on his team. These players should have targets on their back by every player across the league.

Tkachuk won't re-sign, Eichel won't re-sign. They want to be close to mommy and play hockey at home? I thought these were professional athletes.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Americans are ruining sports. Why can't they shut up and play on the team that drafted them longer than 5 seasons. Eichel is being a chicken even though there's a ton of young talent on that roster. Tkachuk wants to go home even though he has a great head coach on his team. These players should have targets on their back by every player across the league.

Tkachuk won't re-sign, Eichel won't re-sign. They want to be close to mommy and play hockey at home? I thought these were professional athletes.

So you still work for the same company that you first got a job for as a kid? Cool.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Tarasenko and Eichel could really backfire in a hurry if their injuries prove to be life lasting.

Not sure if Calgary wants to decimate their team to add Eichel, but a #1C is what they've lacked the past 25+ years. They should really be rebuilding though.
Calgary doesn’t have an old team. Not sure why people can’t recognize that. They also just lost their oldest player.

I get saying they don’t have a championship mix but they’re not old.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
So you still work for the same company that you first got a job for as a kid? Cool.

its more about American culture always ahving to scream from the mountian tops when they are unhappy or think they are the best in anything. Its annoying AF which is why Americans are always in the news for doing dumbshit and are not well liked anywhere else in the world. They have the highest amount vocal, shitty, just flat out dumb people in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->