Around the League Thread | Post Free Agent Frenzy Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
First part of the MAck story was good.... then it got bad lol. Sounds like a guy i wouldnt really be down to play with. Yell because of a pass slightly off during practice? Im assuming he doesnt yell at guys like Landy or Rantanen or Makar... probably 4th liners he feels he has control over.

If I was a player of note on the avalanche and he treated me like that i would gladly tell him to f off.

I did find that interesting, especially since he's not the captain. I honestly don't think there's any excuse for it in this day and age. It's abusive.

Reactions: canucksfan

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I watched a lot of Avs games this year and he pretty much glared and beaked off to everyone bar Landskog/Rantanen. He would give it to Makar and Kadri on the PP if he didn't get the passes he wanted.

Yeah, that ain't leadership. That's not the kind of guy you go through a wall for.

And what is Mackinnon's right to beak anyone? He hasn't won a thing in the NHL. Yet we've never heard this kind of psychotic behaviour from Sid or Hedman.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Not really a good look for MacK. Sure you can be a competitor but that doesn't mean you have to be a prick about it.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
First part was great, second part makes him seem like a prick. It's fine because these are athletes getting paid big bucks to succeed, and they can stand up for themselves, but he still comes across as an asshole who is pushing the limit of acceptable behavior.
It’s certainly a grueling leadership style. Let’s see if it leads them anywhere. It’s easy to say “if you don’t like it there’s the door” until hard to replace players stop buying in.

Reactions: ugghhh

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
I can personally attest to acting very similarly to MacKinnon in most sports I play.

Very demanding of both myself and everyone around me.

Hate to lose and basically become a prick during games because of it. Though I do compliment someone when they have done well.

Afterwards, once you settle down, you realize what you've done and there is a level of embarrassment/apologetic nature.

But there are always guys who with thrive and give it back and those that get completely turned off by it.

It's trying to find the balance of knowing exactly who you can really push and who you can push but to a limit.

bertuzzi2bure

Apr 14, 2021
Would prefer to play under a leader like Sedin than Mack.

Other notable leaders who led the right way:
Sakic
Iginla
Chara
Crosby
Yzerman

Many others.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Also, what does Nate do if 6’5” 235lb Kurtis MacDermid gives him a bad pass?

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
:laugh: what is MacDermid going to do?
More of a joke since I doubt that situation even happens lol

but dudes like him probably aren’t used to getting pucks slapped at them and bitched at by teammates lol. But if he did do anything, I’d imagine he’s on traded or on waivers the next day.

I guess a better hypothetical is his how does Nate react if a teammate does the same to him after a bad Nate pass(as rare as that may be).

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Call me soft, but I was turned off that shit in hockey. We often had that one guy who tried to "inspire" and "motivate" us, which became borderline harassment during some games. A few of us basically gave zero f***s when a teammate that did this got knocked out after a fight. You get sort of the same thing in football (soccer), but it's way more constructive than being called a "lazy ****ing ****" and having a heavy projectile shot at you in practice.

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
I have literally never experienced that level of instensity when i played. For me hockey was always pretty chill. Only played rep for a few years though and mostly just played house so that could absolutely be why.

On Nate Mac himself though had a friend who cheers for OKC who says Westbrook was kinda like that. Must be a thing highly competitive and skilled guys get like in the big leagues.

Last edited:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I have literally experienced that. For me hockey was always pretty chill. Only played rep for a few years though and mostly just played house so that could absolutely be why.

On Nate Mac himself though had a friend who cheers for OKC who says Westbrook was kinda like that. Must be a thing highly competitive and skilled guys get like in the big leagues.

I would say it is different for basketball though. MJ and Lebron can win championships simply having each player on the team know and play their supplementary role. It's a lot harder to do that in hockey. I mean a bottom 6 player whose role is to play an aggressive forechecking game is not going to be that concerned about whether he passed the puck to MacK's stick in practice.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
In basketball, one great player makes a huge difference and two makes a team a championship contender. The Bulls won six championships mostly because of Jordan being arguably the GOAT and Pippen also being a great all-around player, not because Jordan had a tendency for nastiness. The leadership element would come from teammates seeing the best player giving it everything in training, practice and games and therefore being more inclined to follow that example, not from him acting like a real SOB.

I'd also urge people to read up about Bill Cartwright confronting Jordan, if they think that other guys should/will simply lie down and take it when great players cross the line.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
The best of the best tier performers in every competition-based field are like that. That is part of the personality that makes someone the greatest. They would slit your throat without blinking for a few more wins.

It makes sense too. That's the kind of mentality it takes in order to devote every waking hour to your craft with energy and focus. And as for the inappropriate aggressive outbursts... devote every waking hour of your day to your craft for 15 years, literally all your time and all your money, blood, sweat and tears, and after a string of losses you might find yourself shooting a puck in practice at someone who isn't taking it seriously enough too.

Not that it doesn't cross the line, and it's not always helpful, but it's part of the package.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
The best of the best tier performers in every competition-based field are like that. That is part of the personality that makes someone the greatest. They would slit your throat without blinking for a few more wins.

It makes sense too. That's the kind of mentality it takes in order to devote every waking hour to your craft with energy and focus. And as for the inappropriate aggressive outbursts... devote every waking hour of your day to your craft for 15 years, literally all your time and all your money, blood, sweat and tears, and after a string of losses you might find yourself shooting a puck in practice at someone who isn't taking it seriously enough too.

Not that it doesn't cross the line, and it's not always helpful, but it's part of the package.

Im pretty sure that’s exactly what Z was trying to say.

Reactions: CanuckCity

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
In basketball, one great player makes a huge difference and two makes a team a championship contender. The Bulls won six championships mostly because of Jordan being arguably the GOAT and Pippen also being a great all-around player, not because Jordan had a tendency for nastiness. The leadership element would come from teammates seeing the best player giving it everything in training, practice and games and therefore being more inclined to follow that example, not from him acting like a real SOB.

I'd also urge people to read up about Bill Cartwright confronting Jordan, if they think that other guys should/will simply lie down and take it when great players cross the line.

MacK did get into fights so there are certainly people standing up to him. The problem is when you say have a young prospect who may be lacking in some confidence. Some players do need to be coddled and encouraged a bit in order to develop into the player they can be. Who knows if Kwame Brown would have developed if Jordan didn't bully him.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Interesting read on MacKinnon. On the one hand his drive, determination, hard work and intensity is a positive and as a teammate I would imagine it would rub off on me and push me to another level.
On the other hand, the yelling, embarassing teammates and being a sore loser in practice will probably not sit well with some.
I guess it's similar to the Keenan/Tortorella effect. Some thrived under their abuse while other wilts. It depends on the type of person you are. I would hate to be coached by these 2, but you can't argue with their success.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
MacKinnon was mean to me and glared at me when I missed a pass, now I’m sad and want to be traded :(

There are country club leaderships out there to go play for if you want. Vancouver is always welcoming to those kinda players!

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Yeah, that ain't leadership. That's not the kind of guy you go through a wall for.

And what is Mackinnon's right to beak anyone? He hasn't won a thing in the NHL. Yet we've never heard this kind of psychotic behaviour from Sid or Hedman.
Zadorov liked him and said he does it to make his team better. Seems like a great leader to me He is a top playoff and regular season performer. He is as good as anyone in the nhl and wants others to improve. They are elite athletes would should have high expectations if you cannot be near perfect in practice than how will you be in a game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->