Around the League - Playoff Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Will be thrilled just to see the Panthers lose, myself.

Kings did things backwards this year; usually they suck for most of the season and have to fight for their 7th or 8th seed. This year they built a 50 point lead and then sandbagged their way into the playoffs.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
I never was much of a Sharks fan, but they've definately been the most exciting team to watch this year.

Really have no idea who I want to win now, other than I want to see Chicago out. I'm sure the Blues have found their way to choke though.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
And of course the Islanders won, ffs.

I just know a team I hate is winning the Cup this year, I can feel it.

what do you got against the Isles? they've stunk since the early 90s :laugh:

I'm torn, on one hand I'm happy the Kings are out cause I hate Quick but on the other hand, I can't stand Couture....every team "disrespects" them in his mind

gee, I wonder why

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I'm tired of the usual suspects being in or winning the cup. Time for some new blood this season...I'm echoing the sentiment of wanting Chicago out now that LA is gone, and after that I really do not care who makes it to the finals.

For some reason, I think Pittsburgh could be there from the East and IF Chicago gets dumped, I could see San Jose coming out of the West.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
what do you got against the Isles? they've stunk since the early 90s :laugh:

I'm torn, on one hand I'm happy the Kings are out cause I hate Quick but on the other hand, I can't stand Couture....every team "disrespects" them in his mind

gee, I wonder why

Islander fans man, Islander fans.

They've been beyond insufferable towards us. The amount of trolling, and bashing has been sickening.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I'm tired of the usual suspects being in or winning the cup. Time for some new blood this season...I'm echoing the sentiment of wanting Chicago out now that LA is gone, and after that I really do not care who makes it to the finals.

For some reason, I think Pittsburgh could be there from the East and IF Chicago gets dumped, I could see San Jose coming out of the West.

I look at it much differently. The WC cannibalizes itself all season and in the playoff playing hardnosed hockey and with a degree of 200 ft compete that is insane. Both the Hawks/Blues and Sharks?Kings series have been more fiercely contested than anything that ever takes place in the EC. So now we likely have two top rung WC teams, arguably 2 of the best, out in first round. Meaning the talent pool of teams left is eroded. Meaning the likelihood of the West winning the SC is eroded.

To me WC play is preferable in every way to EC play which I mostly consider a less defended version. Another EC team winning will kind of confirm that brand of hockey instead of the brand I love as a WC fan.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
I look at it much differently. The WC cannibalizes itself all season and in the playoff playing hardnosed hockey and with a degree of 200 ft compete that is insane. Both the Hawks/Blues and Sharks?Kings series have been more fiercely contested than anything that ever takes place in the EC. So now we likely have two top rung WC teams, arguably 2 of the best, out in first round. Meaning the talent pool of teams left is eroded. Meaning the likelihood of the West winning the SC is eroded.

To me WC play is preferable in every way to EC play which I mostly consider a less defended version. Another EC team winning will kind of confirm that brand of hockey instead of the brand I love as a WC fan.

Personally, I like seeing the ebb and flow of different styles. The WC style is entertaining when played at a high level, but there's only maybe three or four teams that can do so on a consistent basis. And without the necessary injection of skill, you end up with plodding, dull grinding Minnesota Wild hockey.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Personally, I like seeing the ebb and flow of different styles. The WC style is entertaining when played at a high level, but there's only maybe three or four teams that can do so on a consistent basis. And without the necessary injection of skill, you end up with plodding, dull grinding Minnesota Wild hockey.

I think there are 6-8 teams in WC that can employ it well. In the EC there are maybe 3 teams, Caps, Pens, Lightning, that can employ a more wide open system well.

Also, re: Minny isn't fair to assess their play while missing Zach Parise. That's a huge and critical loss to that team. Basically its heart and soul player ripped out.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

If the Caps win it I believe they deserve it. Strong regular season, strong team that even if in the west would have been solid.

But ultimately agree. I dont think the east can even really complete with the west most times.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
I think there are 6-8 teams in WC that can employ it well. In the EC there are maybe 3 teams, Caps, Pens, Lightning, that can employ a more wide open system well.

Also, re: Minny isn't fair to assess their play while missing Zach Parise. That's a huge and critical loss to that team. Basically its heart and soul player ripped out.

"Well" as in effectively or "well" as in "effective but not crushingly dull?"

St. Louis, Nashville, Anaheim and LA (to some extent) are teams that can grind it out with size and systems play, but you can't pay me to watch them. Chicago and Dallas are teams that play a bit more of an EC style IMO.

I just like hockey that's more open, more free flowing and less constrained by systems, which is why I don't mind the western giants eating themselves in a copycat league.

Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
Dear Rangers,

You guys are terrible.

Signed Oilers fans.

What a hall of shame - E Staal, Yandle, Mats "I cant hold my stick its too big" Zuccarello, Rick "brutal in the playoffs" Nash, Chris "better than Eberle" Kreider, Marc "the other Staal" Staal

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
The Penguins are providing an example how to build around a trio of 2 dominant centers (Crosby, Malkin) and an elite winger (Kessel) - give them each their own line to drive. The Oilers could do the same with McDavid, Draisaitl, and Hall. Just need to add the proper complimentary players to each line and you can run a successful top-9.

Eskie Jetski

Jun 25, 2004
Maybe we can convince the Rangers to trade us Lundqvist.

Hell no! He can go to Calgary so they'll be stuck with that $8.5 million hit (granted NY will retain a bit) until 2021! The guy is a playoff choker and the Flames will surely have to pay something significant!

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
Honestly the Rangers piss me off, always whining about how Hank 'deserves' a cup ('deserves' is the ****ing worst) and they cant play anything but a weak ass East game against the Pens.

Sad state of affairs for a team that is supposedly untouchable.

Hank vs. Zatkoff or Murray? gtfo.

Blah blah blah blah the 'King' has never won a damn thing, sorry Sweden

Last edited:

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Love it. Love seeing Hank implode. Pens look like the best team in the league right now and doing it with a back up.

Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
Love it. Love seeing Hank implode. Pens look like the best team in the league right now and doing it with a back up.

Pens are mashing it right now. If that D can hold together they'll make a serious push. (in the eastern conference lol)

Straight up the east is ****ing garbage. I'm sad at the playoff format today, and all days. Imagine the Islanders/Florida/Philly/Rangers against pretty much anyone but Minnesota. They would get run over and embarrassed.

I'm on big gulps of the h8orade today.

Last edited:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I'm pretty surprised the Rangers were so ineffective this series. I thought they'd put up way more of a fight.

Much like the Kings they're in an unusual spot this summer. They've gotten close before, but do they now need to make some significant changes?

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Hell no! He can go to Calgary so they'll be stuck with that $8.5 million hit (granted NY will retain a bit) until 2021! The guy is a playoff choker and the Flames will surely have to pay something significant!

I think I read on twitter .770 in elimination games....yikes, and someone wants to get that at 8.5 mil?

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
E.Staal - 0pts and -7 in 5 games. brutal trade.
and NY doesn't even have a 1st in this years draft. not looking bright in the big apple.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

Playoff choker? Are we talking about the same Lundqvist? The guy with .928, .927, .934 and .931 as SVS% in the playoffs the last four years? I guess by those standards every goalie in the league is a playoff choker, except maybe for Crawford who should get multiple Conn Smythes :sarcasm:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

I think I read on twitter .770 in elimination games....yikes, and someone wants to get that at 8.5 mil?

Lundqvist has elite numbers in regular season and playoffs, and he has a history of being elite in elimination games.
http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/ra...vists-success-in-elimination-games-is-uncanny

It’s a hard theory to pick apart. Lundqvist is 15-3 with a 1.47 goals against average in elimination games dating back to 2012. And the Rangers are 7-0 in Game 7s at home.

Now this is from a year ago, so the numbers will have changed somewhat with today and game 7 against Tampa last year that they lost (2-0).

But the point remains that Lunqvist has been an excellent playoff performer the bulk of his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad