Around the League - Playoff Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Have to take the opportunity to repeat that I picked the Sharks to win the cup when this season started. :)

I don't post much in the spring/summer because the Oilers are always in golf-mode by now and I lose interest in hockey in general... but I just had to post that so I can gloat about my prediction when the Sharks raise the cup. :)

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Hawks on that game deciding PP were picture perfect executioners. The whole PP you could see it. The only intent was to play keepaway for 100secs, tired the defenders out endlessly chasing while the Hawks were barely moving and letting the puck do all the work. Then, basically at will Kane finds an easy play for the insurance goal.

The whole sequence had the Hawks just toying with the dead and dismantled Blues.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
****ing Chicago
Can someone else ****ing win for once?

See, I can never understand this. You're watching brilliance over perennial losers and you want the perennial losers to advance just because..:laugh:

Its a whole lot more interesting seeing the Championship Hawks advance and see a really good team take them on. Blues advancing would just cheapen this playoffs further.

go Hawks.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Will there be thread after thread on the mains about the Blues choke job year after year, like there is about the Oilers not making the playoffs. Which is worse? They are losing when it actually counts, even if they are capable of winning. The Oilers just aren't capable of winning in the first place....:laugh:

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
See, I can never understand this. You're watching brilliance over perennial losers and you want the perennial losers to advance just because..:laugh:

Its a whole lot more interesting seeing the Championship Hawks advance and see a really good team take them on. Blues advancing would just cheapen this playoffs further.

go Hawks.

People want to see parity and a closing of the gap of these teams. Not the same team year in year out. In pro sports and especially the introduction of cap in NFL and NHL dynasties hurt the sport if there one sided that's why when you see new teams winning across the board you see strong support for all teams.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
People want to see parity and a closing of the gap of these teams. Not the same team year in year out. In pro sports and especially the introduction of cap in NFL and NHL dynasties hurt the sport if there one sided that's why when you see new teams winning across the board you see strong support for all teams.

I prefer to see excellence and the very best playing and continuing to play. More entertaining and riveting than watching perennial pretenders like the Blues.

If Chicago manages to lose this series its because they self destructed. Very little to do with the Blues.

By no means has this been anything close to the best Hawks hockey but I'll still take it over brand X.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
I prefer to see excellence and the very best playing and continuing to play. More entertaining and riveting than watching perennial pretenders like the Blues.

If Chicago manages to lose this series its because they self destructed. Very little to do with the Blues.

By no means has this been anything close to the best Hawks hockey but I'll still take it over brand X.

Yea but even before the playoffs no team seemed to rival them, maybe L.A. I firmly believe you need 4-6 teams that can win it any given year. Then those teams on 5 years or less need to change up. It's arguable any teams really compete with Chicago besides L.A. it's like toy with other teams then play hard when they need to buckle down and do so.

Edit: think of it like this. In individual sports tennis djokovic, and Murray have brought excitement by taking the reign from Federer.

Same as golf Spieth, Mclroy, Bubba have revitalized golf and excited a new generation of fans. Most fans besides Chicago don't see the appeal of Toews or Kane there isn't any enigmatic or engaging players.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Yup. **** parity. And that goes double for pretenders like the Blues.
That is one of the most pitiful displays I've ever seen. Wear it well Hitch.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009

go Hawks.

No, it's really not that interesting watching either the Hawks or the Kings be the Western Conference Champions every year. I want more of a level playing field where we can see different teams achieve success rather than just a a couple. The NHL has really become boring for me. I struggle to watch even half of a hockey game nowadays. I even struggled to watch Oilers games this year. I must have watched maybe half of the Oilers games this season (the majority of which I would just watch bits and pieces) whereas I used to watch every single game in past years. Now the main reason for that is simply because I can't stomach watching years of ****** hockey but also because of the style of the game nowadays. The game used to be wide open end to end hockey without the constant powerplays, boring defensive play, and using sheer size to beat an opponent. It seems like a couple of teams (LA for size; Chicago for powerplays) have capitalized on this over the past few years. It's really a terrible product for fans to watch and if I had to rank the NHL compared to other leagues I would put it behind NFL, NBA, MLB, and Premier League Soccer. If they keep this up I won't be watching in a couple of years. Heck, the main reason I've been watching is solely because McDavid is so entertaining to watch.

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
I think generally there is more appeal for a sport when there is a dominant team or player. Some people want to see how great they can be and some people want to see them lose but it will bring in more viewers.

Personally the only teams left in the playoffs I want to see win the Cup are Chicago and Philadelphia and the only reason I would want Philadelphia to win is Gagner.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Yea but even before the playoffs no team seemed to rival them, maybe L.A. I firmly believe you need 4-6 teams that can win it any given year. Then those teams on 5 years or less need to change up. It's arguable any teams really compete with Chicago besides L.A. it's like toy with other teams then play hard when they need to buckle down and do so.

Edit: think of it like this. In individual sports tennis djokovic, and Murray have brought excitement by taking the reign from Federer.

Same as golf Spieth, Mclroy, Bubba have revitalized golf and excited a new generation of fans. Most fans besides Chicago don't see the appeal of Toews or Kane there isn't any enigmatic or engaging players.

For crying out loud. We're Oilers fans. Who are we to decry a dynasty?

I'm the last person, and we all should be, that hopes the Flames beat the Oilers because of some **** "we need new blood" notion.

sometimes I'm absolutely amazed what gets espoused on these boards.

Its the dynastic Chicago Black Hawks. Sit back and enjoy the ride, don't be punters about it. :nod:

AJGass4

Aug 19, 2011
I like Chicago. They are fun to watch and they don't have anybody on that team that I wouldn't want on mine.

I feel they play an honest game and don't play boring hockey. I'd like to see SJ and Chicago in a series. It'd be a good one.

Oh that power play at the end of the game was executed to perfection. I also think McDavid reminds me of Towes too. Some day …………………….

Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
Blues lose in 7, and we get Pietrangelo cause they wanna shake it up. A guy can dream, right?

I need game 7s. I feed on game 7s and endless overtime.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
For crying out loud. We're Oilers fans. Who are we to decry a dynasty?

We're Oilers fans, not Hawks fans?

I'm the last person, and we all should be, that hopes the Flames beat the Oilers because of some **** "we need new blood" notion.

Yeah, not the same as when its "your" team. As a neutral I want some variety and drama. There's none now when the outcome isn't in doubt.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
47 straight posts about how San Jose was done and LA was going to win as well when they tied the game up at 3. The fact is none of us know what's going to happen. I love Game 7's.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
We're Oilers fans, not Hawks fans?

Yeah, not the same as when its "your" team. As a neutral I want some variety and drama. There's none now when the outcome isn't in doubt.

Well heres the deal. If the Hawks win there is more drama and better standard of play in the playoffs. What could be more drama than seeing if a club can knock off the best. If Blues advance the only drama is seeing how quick a hungry team like the Ducks or Sharks knocks them out. I think even Nashville and Dallas would be able to beat the Blues.

Anyway, the Hawks to me are a welcome breath of fresh air in a sea of standardized Cap era teams that are mostly pretty equally matched. I don't find that exciting, or variety, I find it a little mundane, and arbitrary. To see at least one club rise above the mire offers hope that excellent clubs still exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille