Around the League - Playoff Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Lundqvist has elite numbers in regular season and playoffs, and he has a history of being elite in elimination games.
http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/ra...vists-success-in-elimination-games-is-uncanny

Now this is from a year ago, so the numbers will have changed somewhat with today and game 7 against Tampa last year that they lost (2-0).

But the point remains that Lunqvist has been an excellent playoff performer the bulk of his career.

Ya. you're right I missread the quote... Henrik was .770 in THIS elimination game.my mistake.
over all he's been a great playoff performer...

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
The Penguins are providing an example how to build around a trio of 2 dominant centers (Crosby, Malkin) and an elite winger (Kessel) - give them each their own line to drive. The Oilers could do the same with McDavid, Draisaitl, and Hall. Just need to add the proper complimentary players to each line and you can run a successful top-9.

?

Pittsburgh, for all the talent they've been able to amass over the past 10 years, their lack of post season success especially more recently is pretty bad. There's been some other great teams in the league at the same time... but they haven't even had a sniff of the SCFs in years, in a really bad Eastern conference.

Kessel has had a terrible season, I don't want to factor him into any success they've had quite yet. Rangers are garbage.

I guess my point is don't look to Pittsburgh for inspiration or as a model to emulate. When you have 87 and Malkin in their primes for a decade with 1 SC in that span... that's disappointing.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
?

Pittsburgh, for all the talent they've been able to amass over the past 10 years, their lack of post season success especially more recently is pretty bad. There's been some other great teams in the league at the same time... but they haven't even had a sniff of the SCFs in years, in a really bad Eastern conference.

Kessel has had a terrible season, I don't want to factor him into any success they've had quite yet. Rangers are garbage.

I guess my point is don't look to Pittsburgh for inspiration or as a model to emulate. When you have 87 and Malkin in their primes for a decade with 1 SC in that span... that's disappointing.

I'm talking about the Penguins under Mike Sullivan. The significant increase in play of not only the team, but the star players since the coaching change is noticeable. Sullivan abandoned the forcing of line chemistry between star players and built a (so far) deadly top-9 around Crosby, Malkin, and Kessel. Each line has one of them driving the play with line mates that compliment their styles. Sullivan has also utilized a bunch of fast, gritty, and young players who know their job is to skate/forecheck hard, get the puck to the star players, and then get open. The less anyone not named Crosby or Malkin touch the puck, the better.

It can be a way to get results from players like Hall and McDavid, who do not seem to mesh on the same line, and yet can drive a line by themselves.

Last edited:

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
Those St. Louis zone exits:

anigif_enhanced-22035-1439427630-2.gif

Shows how important good puck moving D are.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Nashville will never do anything in the playoffs when they only have 2 real legit top 6 forwards in Johanson and Forsberg.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Nashville will never do anything in the playoffs when they only have 2 real legit top 6 forwards in Johanson and Forsberg.

James Neal is a top line player. Ribiero is still a solid 2nd line center. Craig Smith is a decent 2nd liner too.

Honestly the Preds problem this year seems to be Rinne has been pretty terrible for basically the entire season.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
James Neal is a top line player. Ribiero is still a solid 2nd line center. Craig Smith is a decent 2nd liner too.

Honestly the Preds problem this year seems to be Rinne has been pretty terrible for basically the entire season.

That's a popgun offense and typical Preds cheaping out on depth production forwards. They always figure a few offensive guys is enough. So easy to shutdown.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Stl epic collapse. What a pathetic period by them

Like anybody is surprised. I don't want these pretenders to advance. Epic collapse masters always.

One playoff series win in the last decade. :laugh:

memo to STL getting outshot 20-5 in a potential deciding game is probably a bad idea and is not exactly putting your foot down on anybodies throat.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011

It's amazing these teams built to be solid defensively are successful because of the high end forwards Fabbri, Tarasenko are StL ...Brouwer, Backes, all invisible

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Like anybody is surprised. I don't want these pretenders to advance. Epic collapse masters always.

One playoff series win in the last decade. :laugh:

memo to STL getting outshot 20-5 in a potential deciding game is probably a bad idea and is not exactly putting your foot down on anybodies throat.

The Blues record of futility in their franchises history is pretty outstanding. They had some great teams in the early 2000's too that just flopped every year in the playoffs.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
The Blues record of futility in their franchises history is pretty outstanding. They had some great teams in the early 2000's too that just flopped every year in the playoffs.

I think if St. Louis loses that identity of the team changes. I could see Hitchcock fired, Backes and that previous core gone.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
?

Really though that's mainly because of a couple of Crosby concussions and MAF being an overrated sieve in net. Two Cup Finals and one win isn't that bad either, plenty of teams have never won a Cup in their history.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It's amazing these teams built to be solid defensively are successful because of the high end forwards Fabbri, Tarasenko are StL ...Brouwer, Backes, all invisible

Someone else mentioned this on this board but I think it's true ... in the playoffs, the "game breakers" tend to be wingers.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
Someone else mentioned this on this board but I think it's true ... in the playoffs, the "game breakers" tend to be wingers.

Yes and it seems in watching Anaheim, SJ, Chicago you see less role players. Like Wiese, Ladd are playing no different than the high end forwards. Stl is built like a 90's team honestly the guys I mentioned should be playing like Chicago's depth guys are, they can't but it means they steal ice time from your Tarasenkos and while not bleeding goals, they don't score goals either.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
If the Hawks win and the Stars lose you might as well just give the Cup to Chicago.

EDIT: Yup the Blues are done. Hawks will win the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad