Around the League - Playoff Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
For crying out loud. We're Oilers fans. Who are we to decry a dynasty?

I'm the last person, and we all should be, that hopes the Flames beat the Oilers because of some **** "we need new blood" notion.

sometimes I'm absolutely amazed what gets espoused on these boards.

Its the dynastic Chicago Black Hawks. Sit back and enjoy the ride, don't be punters about it. :nod:

I didn't get a chance to respond yesterday to you as my personal life takes priority over the online life, especially on weekends.

As YL just stated, it's totally different when it's your team that is the dynasty. The Oilers could win 20 cups in a row and each win would be just like the first and I hope they would win 20 more straight. When it's pretty much the same two teams which are not the Edmonton Oilers, who are alternating champs every year since 2010, it gets a little stale for me.

On the other hand, good on those teams for building a dynasty calibre squad, I'm sure their fan bases aren't sick of winning either...but unless it's the Oilers, forgive me for wanting to seeing two different teams emerge in the SCF and a new champion crowned.

As for the Philly - Caps game, Neuvirth is in the Caps' heads. The Flyers are on the verge of killing off a long 5 on 3, Neuvirth made some big stops. They were discussing in the intermission how Calgary might go hard after him. I hope Philly keeps him and deals them Mason instead.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I didn't get a chance to respond yesterday to you as my personal life takes priority over the online life, especially on weekends.

As YL just stated, it's totally different when it's your team that is the dynasty. The Oilers could win 20 cups in a row and each win would be just like the first and I hope they would win 20 more straight. When it's pretty much the same two teams which are not the Edmonton Oilers, who are alternating champs every year since 2010, it gets a little stale for me.

On the other hand, good on those teams for building a dynasty calibre squad, I'm sure their fan bases aren't sick of winning either...but unless it's the Oilers, forgive me for wanting to seeing two different teams emerge in the SCF and a new champion crowned.

As for the Philly - Caps game, Neuvirth is in the Caps' heads. The Flyers are on the verge of killing off a long 5 on 3, Neuvirth made some big stops. They were discussing in the intermission how Calgary might go hard after him. I hope Philly keeps him and deals them Mason instead.

I try to be objective about it though. It isn't stale to me when theres a dynasty involving another franchise. I never found the Habs boring, or the Islanders boring in their dynasties. Who would ever look at Michael Jordans Bulls and say, yawn, boring, can't somebody else win? Its the great teams that define eras in sports and without which you have periods of time where there is very little distinction between sides. To me theres a boredom in absolute parity where there ends up being no point even watching because you know the only thing that separates clubs is a bounce or bad call here and there. I don't find that interesting, I find it frustrating.

To me much more enjoyable when an excellent club is good enough to rise against some bad breaks, bad calls, or even some hardship in the form of battling back after looking tired earlier in the series.

Nothing could be more boring to me than watching two perennial pretender clubs like STL and Nash claw and gnaw at each other in the 2nd round trying to figure out how to win a playoff series. :sarcasm:;)

I much more like the predatory nature that accomplished excellent clubs exhibit. Give the Hawks half a chance and they take it. Theres no fear of winning, no nervousness being in tight quarters.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I try to be objective about it though. It isn't stale to me when theres a dynasty involving another franchise. I never found the Habs boring, or the Islanders boring in their dynasties. Who would ever look at Michael Jordans Bulls and say, yawn, boring, can't somebody else win? Its the great teams that define eras in sports and without which you have periods of time where there is very little distinction between sides. To me theres a boredom in absolute parity where there ends up being no point even watching because you know the only thing that separates clubs is a bounce or bad call here and there. I don't find that interesting, I find it frustrating.

To me much more enjoyable when an excellent club is good enough to rise against some bad breaks, bad calls, or even some hardship in the form of battling back after looking tired earlier in the series.

Nothing could be more boring to me than watching two perennial pretender clubs like STL and Nash claw and gnaw at each other in the 2nd round trying to figure out how to win a playoff series. :sarcasm:;)

I much more like the predatory nature that accomplished excellent clubs exhibit. Give the Hawks half a chance and they take it. Theres no fear of winning, no nervousness being in tight quarters.

That's a very fair point and reasoning behind your position on the matter. It's like the Hawks have the Blues figured right out. It's like they say "Let's sit back, give them a series lead and put all the pressure on them to figure out how to beat us, because we know how to beat them." They're doing it again to them and I can't see the Blues winning game 7, even if it is at home. It's like the Yankees-Red Sox all over again. Once St. Louis can beat Chicago in the playoffs, they might go far.

Gotta get my kids to a birthday party...enjoy the games today.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Washington never makes it easy on themselves...wow

typical Caps

The Flyers deserve some credit for stretching it to 6 imo. They gave it everything they had.

Compare that to the Rangers, a superior team, that went out without mustering up even a whimper.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Well they switched goalies and Neuvirth went Wayne Gretzky's 3D hockey brick wall mode for 2 games. They didn't play very well as a team today. Yeah, probably still better than the Rags though. If I were them I'd seriously consider blowing things up.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Well they switched goalies and Neuvirth went Wayne Gretzky's 3D hockey brick wall mode for 2 games. They didn't play very well as a team today. Yeah, probably still better than the Rags though. If I were them I'd seriously consider blowing things up.

The Rangers or the Flyer?

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
The Flyers deserve some credit for stretching it to 6 imo. They gave it everything they had.

Compare that to the Rangers, a superior team, that went out without mustering up even a whimper.

you mean the Flyers goalie...they were heavily outshot in game 5 and 6

and Washington scored 1 goal in those games

and this isn't the first time either...they score 2 in game 7 last year against the Isles, one goal in game 7 against the Rangers...zero goals in game 7 in 2013 etc...

they gag in elimination games

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Lmao, same thing as MCdavid vs LA

No goal

What an epic collapse by the Stars allowing 4goals in the 3rd and what should have been 5. Only the horrendous play of Dubnyk allows the Stars this W.

That puck was in. Damn frustratin that on the replays they do not show the movement of the puck further. On another angle you can see the puck goes into the pad and then ends up up on its side. On the close view if they just roll that a few more frames it would show goal. The puck would have crossed the line because it was then on its side. I kept shouting "role the film dammit"

Anyway, Dallas demonstrating in spades why they can't be taken seriously as a contender in these playoffs. They are virtually incapable of defensive play and fall apart under any pressure. This is Minnesota without Parise for crying out loud.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
For crying out loud. We're Oilers fans. Who are we to decry a dynasty?

I'm the last person, and we all should be, that hopes the Flames beat the Oilers because of some **** "we need new blood" notion.

sometimes I'm absolutely amazed what gets espoused on these boards.

Its the dynastic Chicago Black Hawks. Sit back and enjoy the ride, don't be punters about it. :nod:

I think you always want to see is

1) a team ices there best lineup

2) that the two respective teams are playing at the highest level

3) they are close in quality of team.

Parity absolutely makes sports better. Maybe some see mediocrity, but I don't it's teams on any given Sunday so to speak can beat one another.

If teams are cakewalks to get to the finals then that doesn't make me think Chicago is that good unless they go through a team that breaks them down. The recent cup finals that only go 5 games don't show competition.

Dynasties need there yin yang. Jordan & the Bulls had there competition with the Lakers, Celtics.

Even in individual sports if Djokovic is handly beating everyone because there aging or not at his level it doesn't validate it's talent to me.

The only way you really can look at it is if it's Orr, or Gretzky where they totally revolutionized the game. The Oilers dynasty was made big because they went throught the Isles.

Just like Frazier to Foreman to Ali, there must always be someone to challenge the throne.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad