Tidbits: Around the League: NHL News

Status
Not open for further replies.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
NBA had a shorter off-season than the NHL and have already announced their start date.

This bugs me.
I don't mind it too much because they can let the NBA sort out all the messes before the NHL starts. My guess is the NHL will start mid January. And even though they shouldn't you can bet your butt that sport teams will find a way to get the vaccine before the majority of people do.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
NBA had a shorter off-season than the NHL and have already announced their start date.

This bugs me.

It's the reality that the NBA can pay player's salary off their TV contracts alone. Such is life.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver

Anton Lundell 2+4 in an 11-1 win. Helsinki only had 10 forwards and 5 d-men.

He's now got 11+8=19 in 14gp. 2nd in Liiga for goals, 3rd in points.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey

Anton Lundell 2+4 in an 11-1 win. Helsinki only had 10 forwards and 5 d-men.

He's now got 11+8=19 in 14gp. 2nd in Liiga for goals, 3rd in points.

Lundell has really turned it on this year. Shame we couldn't convince Florida to give up their pick to us. Having him and Rossi would look pretty pretty good.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Lundell has really turned it on this year. Shame we couldn't convince Florida to give up their pick to us. Having him and Rossi would look pretty pretty good.

Lundell is putting the bed the notion that he doesn't have the same offensive potential as the other top center prospects.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Lundell is putting the bed the notion that he doesn't have the same offensive potential as the other top center prospects.

No he's not. Being 1.3PPG in your D+1 year in Liiga isn't that impressive anymore. If you think it means he has the same offensive potential as Byfield, Stutzle, Rossi, you're out to lunch.

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
We're the 4th best team in the West. Would be somewhere in the 3rd to 5th range in the Central. Not much of a difference.
I think there is a possibility that the Sharks are better than people expect. They should be healthy now and there largest concern is goal tendering. If there is one thing you can take away from books like Hockey Abstract is just because a team have terrible goaltending one year it doesn't mean they will the following. Still I'm not too worried about that tandem.

I'm more worried about effect that long travel will have on the team. Normally I think travel is overrated on the effects it has on a team, but if they need to have long trips on top of being quarantined to hotel rooms and not getting to hit the town. :dunno:

Hopefully a Vaccine comes around so people can start going to games and players can be out more. Even though it isn't right, you can bet sport teams are going to find a way to get the vaccine before the everyday American. Money rules

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
Pittsburgh would be playing a in a much weaker division than in normal conditions. Not good for our anti-Pittsburgh bandwagon.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Is it still realistic to think that the season could start up by mid-January? Or are we heading towards a February start at the earliest?

NBA teams start training camp tomorrow, while the NHL and players are still just talking....and no announcement seems imminent.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Is it still realistic to think that the season could start up by mid-January? Or are we heading towards a February start at the earliest?

NBA teams start training camp tomorrow, while the NHL and players are still just talking....and no announcement seems imminent.

Ya, it's still realistic for mid January. 1st week of January is realistic if they come to an agreement shortly.

I'm sure every player is on alert to that they may need to make flight arrangements ASAP if an agreement is reached. Traditional training camps are only three weeks, so it's not like it would be a huge deal to shave that off a bit.

I'm sure with a testing regiment they can shorten requested quarantine times like they were able to in July.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
31 Thoughts: The Podcast | Podcasts - Sportsnet.ca

The recent 31 podcast had some good tidbits about the start of the season and negotiations. I think mid-January is likely, and I think we will have a short training camp and no preseason games. I like their idea of having a taxi squad of salary cap exempt AHL players to stand in for Covid players.

If it comes to push and shove I think the players would accept changing the deferments, but I still side with the players.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The problem is in the facilities like the washrooms and the concessions. Also the entrances and exits. The numbers are going way up as we speak, and consequences( hospitalizations) tend to lag 3-4 weeks behind, so early/mid January is going to find us right in the worst of the pandemic that we've seen here in MN.

Not a time to be gathering in large groups, IMO.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Pierre LeBrun is reporting that it's looking like a mid-January regular season start with training camps opening on Jan 2nd. 52-56 game schedule.

Sounds like Marleau better stay healthy! Also, thanks for sharing that. Good to hear that there is at least some semblance of a plan taking shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad