White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com
Denis Savard used to smoke between shifts DURING a period! :laugh:

kerr-21.jpeg

Reactions: stlwahoo

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
I find the tactic TB used shady as hell and less than pleased the league allowed them to get away with it.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I find the tactic TB used shady as hell and less than pleased the league allowed them to get away with it.

The reckoning is still coming. They're like 2.3M over the cap after signing Cirelli, with Kucherov's hit already factored out. Which means they need to shed at least 3M in 3 weeks. That still means getting rid of a Johnson, Killorn, Palat.

Next summer, the only guys coming off the books are worth 1.8M or less (6 players in total, I believe), and Kucherov's cap hit comes back. Which means they're just delaying the inevitable.

In 2022, Palat will need a raise from his 6.75M, and even though Palat's contract expires that summer, they'll still need to move another expensive piece to make room for him.

They can't keep paying Kucherov and Vasilevski 9.5, Stamkos 8.5, Hedman 7.9, McDonCirelli, Sergachev in the high 4's. Push will come to shove and they'll move a big name.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
The reckoning is still coming. They're like 2.3M over the cap after signing Cirelli, with Kucherov's hit already factored out. Which means they need to shed at least 3M in 3 weeks. That still means getting rid of a Johnson, Killorn, Palat.

Next summer, the only guys coming off the books are worth 1.8M or less (6 players in total, I believe), and Kucherov's cap hit comes back. Which means they're just delaying the inevitable.

In 2022, Palat will need a raise from his 6.75M, and even though Palat's contract expires that summer, they'll still need to move another expensive piece to make room for him.

They can't keep paying Kucherov and Vasilevski 9.5, Stamkos 8.5, Hedman 7.9, McDonCirelli, Sergachev in the high 4's. Push will come to shove and they'll move a big name.
(Side note: I’m sorry, but no goalie is worth that much imo. Kinda like RBs in football. Good luck.)

Reactions: AKL

P10p

May 15, 2012
Anyone who thinks the Lightning buried Kuch on IR for cap relief is borderline mental..

Reactions: 57special

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Anyone who thinks the Lightning buried Kuch on IR for cap relief is borderline mental..

There's no doubt that he has a valid reason to be on IR to start the season, but anyone that thinks the Lightning have already declared their best player out for the entire season without waiting to see if he'll be good to go later on is even more mental.

My money says he'll be playing round one of the playoffs, which is exactly what Chicago did when Kane got injured several years back. He could have returned during the regular season, but Chicago had already overspent due to his cap hit not counting. They shut him down for the rest of the regular season "to be safe", and he was magically good to go game 1 of the playoffs.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
There's no doubt that he has a valid reason to be on IR to start the season, but anyone that thinks the Lightning have already declared their best player out for the entire season without waiting to see if he'll be good to go later on is even more mental.

My money says he'll be playing round one of the playoffs, which is exactly what Chicago did when Kane got injured several years back. He could have returned during the regular season, but Chicago had already overspent due to his cap hit not counting. They shut him down for the rest of the regular season "to be safe", and he was magically good to go game 1 of the playoffs.
Out for the regular season is out for the regular season. Cap has no impact on post season.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
You don't concoct an injury for your best player(arguably)that will make him miss the entire regular season so you can a middle six C or a second pairing Dman.

Looking forward to the day that we can LTIR Parise, though, and the more that we see the LTIR being used, the less likely it will be that it is challenged when we finally get around to using it on ZP without penalty.

Reactions: TaLoN

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
They're not declaring their best player out for the year to bypass cap problems.

It happens, it's legit, I see no "loophole" that needs closing.

I'll eat crow on this one if I'm wrong, but he will play in round one of the playoffs. And that is by design by the Lightning because of what you said.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I'll eat crow on this one if I'm wrong, but he will play in round one of the playoffs. And that is by design by the Lightning because of what you said.
He very well may play in the first round... if they even make it there... but imo that's not confirmation of anything. They're simply a MUCH better team with him, and they would gladly have him on the ice come regular season if they could.

Having a legit injury and being out that length of time, everyone would want to be cautious on his return.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
The "loophole" is the fact they made kuch wait until it was absolutely necessary to fix their cap problems.

If it was that serious why didn't he get surgery as soon as he could? Simple, they asked him to wait. They knew they could use the ltir loophole on a shorten season.

P10p

May 15, 2012
Anyone with this take on the situation doesn't really understand the situation.

Educate us please. I'm calling out people who think the lightning or any team would use Kucherov, arguably the best player in the league, as a ltir scapegoat.

The "loophole" is the fact they made kuch wait until it was absolutely necessary to fix their cap problems.

If it was that serious why didn't he get surgery as soon as he could? Simple, they asked him to wait. They knew they could use the ltir loophole on a shorten season.

You're making so many assumptions to draw your conclusion holy hell I hope you are drinking..

Last edited by a moderator:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

Teams can't force players to have surgery or wait on it. We saw that with Zach and his back problems before he finally chose to go under the knife.

Surgery is 100% in player control, not at all under team control.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Educate us please. I'm calling out people who think the lightning or any team would use Kucherov, arguably the best player in the league, as a ltir scapegoat.

You're making so many assumptions to draw your conclusion holy hell I hope you are drinking..
Is it really that hard to understand? Kucherov has an injury that requires a surgery and likely 3+ month recovery. Kucherov and the lightning are left with two options-
1. Have the surgery as soon as possible after the Cup finals, go through the rehab and get back into the lineup as soon as possible. Probably looking at best case play 25-ish regular season games? this option also requires that the Lightning dump at least 2 of McDonaugh, Killorn, Palat, Cirelli to be cap compliant for this season.

2. Hold off on having the surgery until you at least know what the season will look like, go through with the rehab with the goal to be ready by the 1st game of the playoffs. You really think that Kucherov is going to object to missing 20 regular season games if it means his chances of winning another cup can be improved that much? You think the Lightning wouldn't prefer this route?

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
They're not declaring their best player out for the year to bypass cap problems.

It happens, it's legit, I see no "loophole" that needs closing.
The loophole that needs closing is really painfully obvious. Make it a rule that a player can't finish the season on LTIR and be eligible for the playoffs. Any chance of trying to manipulate the salary cap instantly disappears.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Is it really that hard to understand? Kucherov has an injury that requires a surgery and likely 3+ month recovery. Kucherov and the lightning are left with two options-
1. Have the surgery as soon as possible after the Cup finals, go through the rehab and get back into the lineup as soon as possible. Probably looking at best case play 25-ish regular season games? this option also requires that the Lightning dump at least 2 of McDonaugh, Killorn, Palat, Cirelli to be cap compliant for this season.

2. Hold off on having the surgery until you at least know what the season will look like, go through with the rehab with the goal to be ready by the 1st game of the playoffs. You really think that Kucherov is going to object to missing 20 regular season games if it means his chances of winning another cup can be improved that much? You think the Lightning wouldn't prefer this route?
I'm sure Kucherov and the lightning would prefer he's in top form come playoffs, something he's not likely to be in just coming out of rehab with zero games.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I'm sure Kucherov and the lightning would prefer he's in top form come playoffs, something he's not likely to be in just coming out of rehab with zero games.
Not at the expense of two or more of his teammates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad