Tidbits: Around the League: NHL News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
50 point pace on an abysmal Ottawa club and 25 years old? Surely someone can slot him in somewhere.

Duclair's 50 points on top line playing one-way hockey with likes of Tkachuk and Pageau isn't worth much.

I've always said any NHL player can score 20 goals on a hot year in a top line like that. It's a whole different thing doing that production from bottom, solid defense line with no PP minutes. 2,5M contract might be good, but more than that isn't worth it.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
Duclair's 50 points on top line playing one-way hockey with likes of Tkachuk and Pageau isn't worth much.

I've always said any NHL player can score 20 goals on a hot year in a top line like that. It's a whole different thing doing that production from bottom, solid defense line with no PP minutes. 2,5M contract might be good, but more than that isn't worth it.

Aside from the fact that he played a big chunk of the year with Tierney and Namestnikov, I still didn’t say give him a bag.

$2.5M is fine or any other number, but it was suggested by the poster I quoted that he may he may not get a contract when he clearly has some value. Evolving and other models all have his contract projection at north of $3M aav. He Plays on the PP and on the PK, on a terrible team mind you. I don’t want him in Minnesota, I was just pointing out that is career his not over

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Pardon me? That’s top 10 forward money in the league. Where on earth did you hear this?
Back before the Wild traded Granlund, there was talk (Russo) that his next contract his agent was looking at 9+ mil contract. Of course I don't think he was ever going to get 9+ and Russo was exaggerating. However, there was a concern of having to give him a big contract and if he was really worth that money. He was a 60+ point wing so I think they would've fought for a 7-8 mil cap hit.

Also jumping into the Duclair talk. Ottawa offered him a substantial raise, but he is acting as his own agent and turned it down. I think the rumor contract was in the higher 3 mil range for 2 years and he turned it down. I fear for his sake that him turning that down will now see him take a 1 year deal for less money.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Pardon me? That’s top 10 forward money in the league. Where on earth did you hear this?
Russo said last year at some point. It was a starting point obviously, and they would’ve come down as happens in negotiations. I believe the context was Granlund’s agent was planning on asking for 9-10 when he had 35 points in 32 games to start the season that we traded him.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
I thought in Russo's latest podcast he had a pretty big scoop about the NHL.

He said it sounds like next season there will be 4 regional bubbles and teams will switch between them and play different teams.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
My point is that this year is unlike any year ever in hockey, or at least any post WW year. Some players who might otherwise get contracts will not get ones this year, or the contracts they get will be at greatly reduced prices. The recent news about the Stars furloughing staff is an example...these were Cup finalists, and in any other year they would be doing just fine because of it.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Russo said last year at some point. It was a starting point obviously, and they would’ve come down as happens in negotiations. I believe the context was Granlund’s agent was planning on asking for 9-10 when he had 35 points in 32 games to start the season that we traded him.

Looks like a disaster for Granlund, he probably has to accept low dollars or play in Sweden.
But there's a reason why Nashville don't want to keep him, I guess he wasn't that good last season.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
I thought in Russo's latest podcast he had a pretty big scoop about the NHL.

He said it sounds like next season there will be 4 regional bubbles and teams will switch between them and play different teams.

Makes sense. NHL handled the playoff bubble so well, at least with this we'll get plenty of hockey next season. Plus, you know, no COVID-19 going around.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Apparently on the rush where Stamkos scored in the SCF (in his <3 minutes of playoff time), he tore his groin right before scoring. Crazy.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

Doc's voice was so synonymous with national hockey broadcasts for so long... his not being there is going to be so strange.

Happy retirement to a legend.

Last edited:

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Report: The NHL Is Bringing Back Retro Jerseys For Every Team In The League

Russo has hinted at this before, but not reversed retros. He has said that there was a chance the Wild were leaning on North Star throwbacks.

Also recently Colorado hinted at new uniforms and Mackinnon has baby blue gloves which people guessed were Nordiques gloves.

nathan-mackinnon-powder-blue-gloves.jpg

Would people want North Stars or the old 2000s jerseys, but reversed colors like red sleeves with green lines?

s-l1000.jpg

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

Russo has hinted at this before, but not reversed retros. He has said that there was a chance the Wild were leaning on North Star throwbacks.

Also recently Colorado hinted at new uniforms and Mackinnon has baby blue gloves which people guessed were Nordiques gloves.

Would people want North Stars or the old 2000s jerseys, but reversed colors like red sleeves with green lines?

s-l1000.jpg
That late 90's early 2000 style was terrible and best forgotten. The green was ok, but the overall look was just bad. I still wear that old green on occasion though. Never the white.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Hawks issue letter for rebuild to fans. What does this mean? With the media outburst with Toews, Kane, and Keith do we see them moved? Is it even possible? Can Chicago afford 3 years of retention to move them?

Speculate.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Hawks issue letter for rebuild to fans. What does this mean? With the media outburst with Toews, Kane, and Keith do we see them moved? Is it even possible? Can Chicago afford 3 years of retention to move them?

Speculate.
They're not going anywhere because they've said they don't want to go anywhere. They have all the power.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
They're not going anywhere because they've said they don't want to go anywhere. They have all the power.

Just speculating, but I could envision a scenario where, someday, Kane would be open to playing for his hometown Buffalo Sabres. Playing on the wing with Eichel feeding him the puck wouldn't be such a bad thing.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Just speculating, but I could envision a scenario where, someday, Kane would be open to playing for his hometown Buffalo Sabres. Playing on the wing with Eichel feeding him the puck wouldn't be such a bad thing.
Maybe, but he's said this offseason, he's not leaving Chicago. He has a NMC. He's not leaving unless he chooses to leave.

Mookie Blaylock

The in between is mine
Apr 16, 2014
Porch

s-l1000.jpg
I like the og jerseys, but would rather see the North Star colors. If Dallas uses the North Stars retro...well

Reactions: MuckOG

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
I like the og jerseys, but would rather see the North Star colors. If Dallas uses the North Stars retro...well
I really doubt Dallas would want to use the North Star stuff. It always seems like their franchise try’s to focus on just their Texas history. I know they kept the retired jerseys. But correct me if I’m wrong I don’t think they hang any of the North Star banners like The division title and conference banners. At least I have never seen them on tv or pictures.

Yeolo

Apr 11, 2014
I wish we could go back and change history so Dallas couldn't have taken the name Star's.

Apparently Texas history is super lacking so they had to play off a Cowboys spin off.

The Minnesota North Stars

Perfect name, perfect color scheme, won a cup right after they left.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I really doubt Dallas would want to use the North Star stuff. It always seems like their franchise try’s to focus on just their Texas history. I know they kept the retired jerseys. But correct me if I’m wrong I don’t think they hang any of the North Star banners like The division title and conference banners. At least I have never seen them on tv or pictures.
The NHL owns the North Stars logo and history, not the Dallas Stars.

Any time the logo is used, it has to be cleared through the league. Dallas Stars are a franchise detached from said history aside from the retired numbers.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Apparently Texas history is super lacking so they had to play off a Cowboys spin off.

I knew the teaching of history is bad in this country, but I didn't know it was this bad.

Texas is nicknamed the Lone Star State, which is a tribute to their flag, which has you know - one star on it. There is a lot of pride in being called the Lone Star State.

It's not a play off of the Cowboys. It's a play off of the state nickname and something that a lot of Texas have a TON of pride in.

Why Texas Is Called the Lone Star State

That's like saying apparently Minnesota's history is super boring, so they had to play off a Timberwolves spin off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad