Tidbits: Around the League: NHL News

Status
Not open for further replies.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
I wish we could go back and change history so Dallas couldn't have taken the name Star's.

Apparently Texas history is super lacking so they had to play off a Cowboys spin off.

The Minnesota North Stars

Perfect name, perfect color scheme, won a cup right after they left.
I might be mixing up my texas franchise, but when the stars moved I know they talked about becoming the steers however if you know anything about Ag that name can be a bit problematic. However, that might of been the houston texans. before they settled on the name Texans.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I might be mixing up my texas franchise, but when the stars moved I know they talked about becoming the steers however if you know anything about Ag that name can be a bit problematic. However, that might of been the houston texans. before they settled on the name Texans.

I don't think they were thinking of anything but the Stars.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
6DN3QYUIWJGDHNAJVOO7ACFRAI.jpg

Dallas new sweaters... I'm not a huge fan of neon. I have a feeling they will look more black and yellow on the ice.
Terrible...
31.gif

Reactions: MuckOG

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com
I really doubt Dallas would want to use the North Star stuff. It always seems like their franchise try’s to focus on just their Texas history. I know they kept the retired jerseys. But correct me if I’m wrong I don’t think they hang any of the North Star banners like The division title and conference banners. At least I have never seen them on tv or pictures.

True. But, when the camera pans the crowd at the AAC I often see fans wearing North Stars jerseys with Modano on the back. Also, they have honored Masterton and Goldsworthy by keeping their numbers retired and hanging their numbers in rafters.

mike-modano-nhl-columbus-blue-jackets-dallas-stars.jpg

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
True. But, when the camera pans the crowd at the AAC I often see fans wearing North Stars jerseys with Modano on the back. Also, they have honored Masterton and Goldsworthy by keeping their numbers retired and hanging their numbers in rafters.

View attachment 374656
I do know their fans aren't the biggest fan of Broten anymore because I remember at some event after the Wild came into the league he took off his shirt and revealed a Wild jersey and pretty much claimed he was a Minnesota wild fan now.

I've been trying to find what event this was though since it would be fun to see.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I do know their fans aren't the biggest fan of Broten anymore because I remember at some event after the Wild came into the league he took off his shirt and revealed a Wild jersey and pretty much claimed he was a Minnesota wild fan now.

I've been trying to find what event this was though since it would be fun to see.
Their fans were never fans of Broten... he was traded away part way through heir first year there.

The event you speak of though was Dec 17th, 2000... Wild's first home game vs the Stars. He came out on one of the arena upper corner stages wearing a Stars jersey... took it off revealing a Wild jersey, threw down the Stars jersey and jumped on it.

Broten was a North Star and played every level of hockey in his life in Minnesota. Of course he's a Minnesota hockey guy first and foremost. That goes without saying.

I always said, it shouldn't have been #1 retired when the Wild came into the league, they should've retired #7 to honor what Broten did for Minnesota hockey in general.

Last edited:
Reactions: ctmagic and HotDish

Yeolo

Apr 11, 2014
I've always wondered how the franchise would have been viewed by other NHL fans if the North Stars remained in MN. We'd definitely have at least one cup.

If Kaprizov turns out to be the engine of what ends up being a truly relevant core for years to come and let's us all forget about the North Stars I'm making a petition to hang Vladimir Putin's jersey up in the X.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
I've always wondered how the franchise would have been viewed by other NHL fans if the North Stars remained in MN. We'd definitely have at least one cup.

If Kaprizov turns out to be the engine of what ends up being a truly relevant core for years to come and let's us all forget about the North Stars I'm making a petition to hang Vladimir Putin's jersey up in the X.

While it does sound a catchy nickname, I'm think you are a bit ahead of the schedule.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
The Avs, Sabres, Coyotes, Wild and Capitals are my top 5, in no order.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Wild won this

nhl-reverse-retro-jerseys-png.376512

The Wings should be embarrassed by their lack of effort.
I'm inclined to agree, but I'm also a big fan of the Senators sweater and the Avalanche/Nordiques, although, that one does make me feel sad that the Nordiques that I used to love are the Avalanche I now hate. I still think it's a very beautiful fusion of the old and new. It's definitely going to sting for some old Nordiques fans, though.

Oh, just noticed the Ducks Wildwing sweater is back, too! Yes!

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com
Kings and Whalers

I like the Whalers, but the Kings miss the opportunity on getting back the 70's era jeweled crown. That logo was awesome

… as for the Wild wouldn't it be awesome if they could somehow blend the old St. Paul Saints logo into their design? After all the nonsense that took place in Minneapolis, the Wild should be proud that they are located in St. Paul.

Reactions: GuerinUp

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
I like the Whalers, but the Kings miss the opportunity on getting back the 70's era jeweled crown. That logo was awesome

… as for the Wild wouldn't it be awesome if they could somehow blend the old St. Paul Saints logo into their design? After all the nonsense that took place in Minneapolis, the Wild should be proud that they are located in St. Paul.
I always thought for the WC the Wild could do a throwback to the St. Paul Athletic club who where one of the powerhouses of early American hockey. The only issue is sweaters back then were very bland and just candy cane styled.

St._paul_AC_c1930_large.jpg

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
I always thought for the WC the Wild could do a throwback to the St. Paul Athletic club who where one of the powerhouses of early American hockey. The only issue is sweaters back then were very bland and just candy cane styled.

problem is theyd probably use the stupid christmas color scheme on it :eek:

Yeolo

Apr 11, 2014

I dunno why they wouldn't. The cost of designing the jersey has to be way less than what they would get by just selling a few.

They could make a NHL jersey with a chicken nugget that has teeth on it and make money.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
NBA had a shorter off-season than the NHL and have already announced their start date.

This bugs me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->