Tidbits: Around the League: NHL News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
I think it more comes down to that teams don't have a lot of money to spend on UFAs right now.

Or most teams have spent the money they had available, and there was nothing in the pot for Granlund.

That's weird, you guys told me he's a good playmaker. Perhaps he's asking too much...

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Or most teams have spent the money they had available, and there was nothing in the pot for Granlund.

That's weird, you guys told me he's a good playmaker. Perhaps he's asking too much...
He is a good player, but teams are losing money and the cap is flat.

Different financial landscape now than a year ago.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
If you're expecting no fans in stands you gotta be smart about spending i assume its why buy outs were off the table.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
Tough to know what Granlund is anymore. Is he still a top 6? Is he willing to come in w/o a top 6 guarantee? My guess is that interest, role and money haven't lined up and now he is having to re-evaluate his position.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Is Granlund such a bad player? He still doesn't have a job...

Last season was a disaster, especially since he was probably planning to cash in...

That being said, if some team would pick him up for 3M per year it would be a risk worth taking since good hockey IQ doesn't go anywhere.

If he only had even an average shot, he would be really worth taking the risk.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Last season was a disaster, especially since he was probably planning to cash in...

That being said, if some team would pick him up for 3M per year it would be a risk worth taking since good hockey IQ doesn't go anywhere.

If he only had even an average shot, he would be really worth taking the risk.

I figured he was going to end up on Pittsburgh, but they pulled the trigger with Kapanen early.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Shit, cancel the expansion draft and just have Seattle start playing a year early.
Yeah, a lot of talk about Seattle having a harder time than Vegas because teams are wiser than they were the first go-round, but the flat cap might be an even bigger boon. It seems likely that there'll be a whole lotta Tyler Johnson types exposed - decent players on sub-optimal, but not bad, contracts.

I also wonder how often the following hypothetical will come up. Say a team has two players at "the top" of their exposed list:

Player A (25-30 yrs old) - a 45-55 point forward making $5m
Player B (25-30 yrs old) - a 30-40 point forward making $2m

How many teams would actually pay Seattle to take Player A?

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
What a crazy list!

Dadonov and Haula/Duclair should get contracts quite fast. Dadonov will go for close full market price and Haula/Duclair are probably willing to settle for prove it contract.

Granlund and Hoffman might be available for some time... Granlund doesn't shoot well and Hoffman doesn't play well enough for what they are probably asking.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't see Duclair getting much, if any of a contract.

Haula is a useful player, but his injuries scare away teams.

Teams don't know what Granlund is any more.

Hoffman seems to be a known commodity. Surprised that he hasn't found a spot, especially after having a year where he proved to be a good citizen.

Yeolo

Apr 11, 2014
If the Wild were short on forwards I'd take Granlund.

Whattever team Bruce ends up coaching should take Granlund.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Sounds like Pastrnak, Marchand and MacAvoy all had surgery after the return to play and are all in question to start the season. Pasta looks to be out until February with hip surgery.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Just looking at the cap situations around the league and the players left available, it looks like there’s going to be quite a few players who are left without
anywhere near the money they may have gotten a year ago. I see no way that Granlund doesn’t take a big pay-cut, for example. Quite a night-and day situation since he was asking for 10 or something like that.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
I don't see Duclair getting much, if any of a contract.

Haula is a useful player, but his injuries scare away teams.

Teams don't know what Granlund is any more.

Hoffman seems to be a known commodity. Surprised that he hasn't found a spot, especially after having a year where he proved to be a good citizen.

50 point pace on an abysmal Ottawa club and 25 years old? Surely someone can slot him in somewhere.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
Just looking at the cap situations around the league and the players left available, it looks like there’s going to be quite a few players who are left without
anywhere near the money they may have gotten a year ago. I see no way that Granlund doesn’t take a big pay-cut, for example. Quite a night-and day situation since he was asking for 10 or something like that.

Pardon me? That’s top 10 forward money in the league. Where on earth did you hear this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad