Tidbits: Around the League: NHL News - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
plus dumba getting the alternate makes me feel hes less likely to be going anywhere. Hell, he might even sign a team friendly deal when his contract expires
Agreed, but I am worried about what a "team friendly deal" looks like these days.

Reactions: GuerinUp

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
8x$10M. $70M of that in signing bonuses. Wow.
Holy crap, that's a lot in signing bonuses! I really like it, for Barkov. He gets that sweet income annually as a lump sum instead of paid out over the course of the season, then can invest most of it. If it's invested smartly, he'll be able to live off the dividends forever, with a really high standard of living.

*edit* I just did the math because I was curious. If he invests $60m of his $70m in signing bonuses ($7.5m/yr), and lives off the extra $1.25m in signing bonus+$1m/year salary, he will invest $7.5m annually. At an 8% annual growth rate that ends up at a little over $100 million after annual compounding ($40m more than the $60m he invested). If he's in dividend stocks with a 3% dividend return, he can live on it to the tune of a little over $3m per year (conservatively, as I'm assuming 0% dividend growth, which is highly unlikely), without ever touching the (still growing) $100m in stocks.

Yeah, if he's smart, he's set.

Last edited:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Seems like a fair deal for both sides. Barkov is a terrific player.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Josi, Hischier, Meier the first 3 Swiss to make the Olympic team. Thought Fiala had a chance to be one of those 3

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Josi, Hischier, Meier the first 3 Swiss to make the Olympic team. Thought Fiala had a chance to be one of those 3

Do you the purpose of this "first 3" thing the countries are doing? Is it just ceremonious? Does it indicate the guys who are gonna get letters?

djgriff

Jul 3, 2011
Holy crap, that's a lot in signing bonuses! I really like it, for Barkov. He gets that sweet income annually as a lump sum instead of paid out over the course of the season, then can invest most of it. If it's invested smartly, he'll be able to live off the dividends forever, with a really high standard of living.

*edit* I just did the math because I was curious. If he invests $60m of his $70m in signing bonuses ($7.5m/yr), and lives off the extra $1.25m in signing bonus+$1m/year salary, he will invest $7.5m annually. At an 8% annual growth rate that ends up at a little over $100 million after annual compounding ($40m more than the $60m he invested). If he's in dividend stocks with a 3% dividend return, he can live on it to the tune of a little over $3m per year (conservatively, as I'm assuming 0% dividend growth, which is highly unlikely), without ever touching the (still growing) $100m in stocks.

Yeah, if he's smart, he's set.

Taxes, agent fees, and today's very high escrow will take a big bite out of that initial investment. But even then, he's certainly set for life.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Taxes, agent fees, and today's very high escrow will take a big bite out of that initial investment. But even then, he's certainly set for life.
This is a good point. Probably divide all of that in half or more. I know Florida won't tax him, but the Federal Government of our country sure will, and probably his too.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Zibs is now off the market; Hertl or bust?

I guess Trocheck or Strome?

Here's hoping that Knuts comes over and Rossi has a good year in the AHL, because Eriksson-Ek and company?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad