Tidbits: Around the League: NHL News - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
Soucy paying tribute to his mentor with his number selection?

vPieQPU.jpg

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Sounds like Alex Stalock’s heart condition came back. Tough to hear. I hope everything works out for him. Also not encouraging with regards to Rossi

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Stripped of his "C"....guess it shouldn't be a surprise.

Friedman said it yesterday, expect him to be stripped of his c and fail his physical to be put on ir. Both happened so this isn’t as breaking as the headline wants it to be on bleacherreport.

I am curious to see who they name the captain though. Cozens for stating he wants to stay in Buffalo?

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
Pretty damning article today in The Athletic written by John Vogl. The Eichel situation is an unmitigated disaster with no end in sight. We think we have it bad here sometimes but imagine being a Sabres fan right now

Yeah, for sure. I’ve felt all along that the NHL would step in and try to mediate some sort of compromise. This situation has fallen perfectly into one of those contractual language voids that even the Ivy Leaguer’s didn’t account for. Bad optics all around in this one.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Pretty damning article today in The Athletic written by John Vogl. The Eichel situation is an unmitigated disaster with no end in sight. We think we have it bad here sometimes but imagine being a Sabres fan right now
Man, Adams talking about his "plan" and "sticking to it" just made me sad; for Eichel, for their fans, and even for Adams himself, though in more of a pitying way. This is a man whose plan hasn't achieved a single thing in months, and he's refusing to acknowledge that it may need tweaking. And this is ignoring that teams shouldn't even be allowed to choose treatment for a player. The NHL has overreached in their influence here, with that part of the CBA. I can't believe the players allowed that to go through! I'm betting that gets changed in the next CBA, thanks to Eichel.

Last edited:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Sabres are playing the classic "cut off your nose to spite your face" angle to the hilt. Nothing that they are doing with Eichel makes any sense.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
I wonder what would happen if Eichel just paid for the surgery himself? What would the ramifications would be? Would the Sabres sue for breach of CBA? Do they want the PR for being the team that didn't want a player to get a surgery? At a certain point the NHL needs to resolve this. I can't help but view the team is wrong here. At this point Eichel is never playing for you again. Just let him get his surgery so you can trade him. He will be someone else's problem if the surgery doesn't help.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I wonder what would happen if Eichel just paid for the surgery himself? What would the ramifications would be? Would the Sabres sue for breach of CBA? Do they want the PR for being the team that didn't want a player to get a surgery? At a certain point the NHL needs to resolve this. I can't help but view the team is wrong here. At this point Eichel is never playing for you again. Just let him get his surgery so you can trade him. He will be someone else's problem if the surgery doesn't help.

Options would be to do nothing, suspend him without pay until healthy, or void his contract.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Sounds like Alex Stalock’s heart condition came back. Tough to hear. I hope everything works out for him. Also not encouraging with regards to Rossi

Potentially. Data is limited, but there is a possibility the vaccines compound the heart issues. Additive spiked proteins not good for circulatory system.

Reactions: zellmatic

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
My guess, and it's just a guess, is that his lawyers have warned him against doing that by saying that the Sabres won't just void his deal but will also come after him for dollars paid, signing bonuses, etc. Otherwise, I agree, just do it himself.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Eichel would rejoice if they followed through on the last option. The Sabres would never do it though.
Depends what he'd get as a free agent coming off neck surgery... 50 mil guaranteed is a lot to risk.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Depends what he'd get as a free agent coming off neck surgery... 50 mil guaranteed is a lot to risk.
At this point? He's made a ton of money, someone will give him a phat contract anyway... he's so pissed at the organization, he'd be thrilled.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I remember a lot of fans wanted Kieffer Bellows over Luke Kunin...well - Bellows might end up on waivers. What a massive bust.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Caught a bit of the MTL/Leafs game. Menell looked decent. Very comfortable with the puck on his stick.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
I remember a lot of fans wanted Kieffer Bellows over Luke Kunin...well - Bellows might end up on waivers. What a massive bust.

He's a one-dimensional player (still only 23 and might stick in a system that needs a shooter) but I don't think it makes sense to celebrate Kunin as a pick. All they could say about him at the time was how he was "future captain material" though his actual upside was a poor man's Ryan Callahan. Meanwhile a pure scoring talent like Alex Debrincat had to wait until Round 2 because of ... his lack of future captain/eyeglow I guess.

Interesting draft tidbit: since Kunin in 2016, no subsequent Wild draft pick has played an NHL game. (That should obviously change this season but good grief that's bad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad