Tidbits: Around the League: NHL News - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
Interesting draft tidbit: since Kunin in 2016, no subsequent Wild draft pick has played an NHL game. (That should obviously change this season but good grief that's bad.)

That's what happens when the team's only top 60 pick in 2017-18 is used on Filip Johansson

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
He's a one-dimensional player (still only 23 and might stick in a system that needs a shooter) but I don't think it makes sense to celebrate Kunin as a pick. All they could say about him at the time was how he was "future captain material" though his actual upside was a poor man's Ryan Callahan. Meanwhile a pure scoring talent like Alex Debrincat had to wait until Round 2 because of ... his lack of future captain/eyeglow I guess.

Interesting draft tidbit: since Kunin in 2016, no subsequent Wild draft pick has played an NHL game. (That should obviously change this season but good grief that's bad.)

well we didnt have a 2017 1st or 2nd which doesnt help

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Definitely not ideal, but all these players could end up with at least 1 NHL GP by the end of this season:

2016: Brandon Duhaime
2017: Mason Shaw
2018: Alex Khovanov, Connor Dewar, Damien Giroux
2019: Matt Boldy, Hunter Jones, Adam Beckman, Filip Lindberg
2020: Marco Rossi

So that's 10 guys without including anyone like Lodnia, Johansson, Firstov, Guskov, Nesterenko, Khusnutdinov, O'Rourke, Hunt, Novak who may just be taking a bit longer to get here (or were drafted much more recently).

But no one ever accused the Wild of being a good drafting team before Brackett got here.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Well, Team USA saw fit to make Kunin the Captain of their Gold medal winning U18 team( I believe he led them in scoring), as did Wisconsin. We were not the only ones who saw a lot of potential in him. It's easy to look back and protest that we didn't pick the one or two outliers that every draft has, rather than face the reality that for every one of those, there are 50 that will end up being lesser players than a guy like Kunin.

Want to impress with your hockey acumen? Predict who is going to be the next DeBrincat, before it happens. Anyone can look back and point to the Bergeron's, Pastrnaks, and Barzals, and pretend that it's easy to pick them.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Well, Team USA saw fit to make Kunin the Captain of their Gold medal winning U18 team( I believe he led them in scoring), as did Wisconsin. We were not the only ones who saw a lot of potential in him. It's easy to look back and protest that we didn't pick the one or two outliers that every draft has, rather than face the reality that for every one of those, there are 50 that will end up being lesser players than a guy like Kunin.

Want to impress with your hockey acumen? Predict who is going to be the next DeBrincat, before it happens. Anyone can look back and point to the Bergeron's, Pastrnaks, and Barzals, and pretend that it's easy to pick them.

Leadership potential is great if you're recruiting for the Army or an Executive Leadership Training Course. What exactly does that have to do with hockey? Calling them outliers makes zero sense. Kunin was a fair first round pick that year. Pastrnak and Barzal were also rated first-rounders. It doesn't take much acumen to point to those guys and say they should be first-rounders. I guarantee you every sentient hockey mind in Edmonton and Boston was going bazeek in 2015 when those picks were made and the Reinhart trade was announced. The average fan can do this: look at guys who scored a lot as amateurs and prefer them to guys with modest skill and offense output. The average fan is more up to date to what the league LOOKS like than some of these GMs whose skills include a Harvard education and Dad's rolodex and a grinder's mentality and would make better choices in the early rounds off video clips and boxscores.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I guarantee you every sentient hockey mind in Edmonton and Boston was going bazeek in 2015 when those picks were made and the Reinhart trade was announced.
artworks-000032605198-ukw543-t500x500.jpg

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Let's also ignore that Kunin had a bad knee injury and is playing under a pretty inept coach right now.

So inept a coach that he became an NHL Head Coach at age 40? Before him, Kunin was coached by the one of the winningest coaches in NHL history, was he not?

Kunin's just not going to be an impactful NHL player, due to his average (for the league) athletic ability. I said it was a fair pick. It's just typical that Flahr/Fletcher would have valued "leadership" more than "skill." A weird ex-player to be defending. I'm personally more excited about, say, Marco Rossi, a hockey player who "scores points" on the ice, not one notable for, like making dinner reservations or whatever it is "leaders" do.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
So inept a coach that he became an NHL Head Coach at age 40? Before him, Kunin was coached by the one of the winningest coaches in NHL history, was he not?
And Kunin played well. The GEEK Line with him, Greenway and Eriksson-Ek was one of the better shut down line in the NHL.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
as much as i want us to nab him still, i dont know how theyd make the cap work now.
A contract like Rask's would come into play for this year, as would Fiala's, who would most likely have to go in any deal for Eichel. That's 9+M right there, and if Fiala has any sort of year this year then he would be wanting 6-7M next year at a minimum. We would be losing that, and while dealing Dumba over the summer is an option, it might just come down to not re-signing Greenway in addition to losing Fiala, and relying on a whole lot of youth/low paid help in the bottom 9, bottom 3 D, and goalie position till 2025-26. Cap increases might help in a year or two, also.

Not saying it is the right way to go, but it's doable, I think.

Reactions: GuerinUp

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
A contract like Rask's would come into play for this year, as would Fiala's, who would most likely have to go in any deal for Eichel. That's 9+M right there, and if Fiala has any sort of year this year then he would be wanting 6-7M next year at a minimum. We would be losing that, and while dealing Dumba over the summer is an option, it might just come down to not re-signing Greenway in addition to losing Fiala, and relying on a whole lot of youth/low paid help in the bottom 9, bottom 3 D, and goalie position till 2025-26. Cap increases might help in a year or two, also.

I think zucc would be traded before dumba if it came to that, but ya never know

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

He already deserved that this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad