Around the League - Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Not much of a downside to that trade for NYI aside from giving up a 1st for the possibility of only renting Palmieri and Zajac.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Blake Wheeler out indefinitely for Winnipeg with a hit by Brady Tkachuk. The Tkachuk Brothers have been destroying Winnipeg two years in a row, first with Matthew on Mark Schiefele last year.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I like the idea of the Islanders trading big futures for their triumphant march to the second round. What’s the pick and prospect count for Pageau, Palmieri and Zajac over the past two seasons?
they say they were mid level prospects, every team has a handful of them

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
Blake Wheeler out indefinitely for Winnipeg with a hit by Brady Tkachuk. The Tkachuk Brothers have been destroying Winnipeg two years in a row, first with Matthew on Mark Schiefele last year.

Jets brought Wheeler back way too soon. He needed rest.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
It’s funny how the narrative changes when it comes to Mathews and McDavid.

when Mathews is tearing it up: it’s a weak division.

when McDavid is testing it up (against Ottawa): best player in the world

35 points in 15 games against the Sens and Flames this year .. 43 points in 20 games if you include the Canucks.

He tears those bottom teams a new one.

Now, in fairness he's still well above PPG against the rest of the division: 25 points in 20 games.

Montreal's held him to 2 assists in 5 games though this year, they seem to have his number.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Good deal for the Isles. The players they are sending out are AHLers and the 1st is going to be a 20 something. Zajac is having a better season than Bozak did the Blues Cup year and he is the second piece.

The NYI's are holding their own in the toughest Div in hockey against OV and the Caps, Sid and Malkin of the Pens and the perfection line in Boston, having to play them 9-10 times each.

If you hang with those teams then you are a legitimate cup contender and these additions will certainly increase their odds of success in this unique season of altered NHL.

Getting NJ to cover 50% of their former player costs allowed NYI to add 2 and not just 1 player for the playoff push.

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Just out of curiosity, which of those trades would you not consider a steal, or at least close to it?

ESPN grades the trade

NHL trade grades: New York Islanders swing big again in adding Kyle Palmieri, Travis Zajac from the New Jersey Devils

The New York Islanders have made a splashy play ahead of the NHL's Monday trade deadline, dealing for veteran New Jersey Devils forwards Kyle Palmieri and Travis Zajac. The Isles dealt depth players A.J. Greer and Mason Jobst to the Devils, along with their first-round pick in the 2021 draft and a conditional fourth-round pick in the 2022 draft. The Devils will be retaining 50% of Palmieri and Zajac's cap hits as part of the terms.

How did both general managers do in this swap? Here are our grades for the trade:

New York Islanders: A-

GM Lou Lamoriello said it best when explaining the Islanders' trade for Palmieri and Zajac: There are no surprises with these two. "I know what they bring on the ice. I also know what kind of people they are and what they bring to the locker room. Chemistry is very important for me," he said.

They've played against these Islanders with frequency. They've played with New York defenseman Andy Greene, who was a career Devils defenseman before Lamoriello reached over to Jersey and added him for the Islanders at last season's trade deadline. For better or for worse, there are no surprises here about the players the Islanders acquired.
This isn't the kind of trade that secures a Stanley Cup for the Islanders. But it is the kind of trade that, if they're so blessed to hoist the chalice at the end of the season, they'll look back on as having added vital pieces to complete the puzzle. And it didn't cost them much at all, given that the return didn't include an upper-tier prospect and did include a first-round pick in a very mysterious draft.

New Jersey Devils: B

If the market for Palmieri was as robust as it appeared to be -- the Toronto Maple Leafs and Boston Bruins were among the reportedly interested teams -- then one wonders if the Devils couldn't have acquired a prospect, rather than a low first-round pick in a draft that many general managers admit is a complete crapshoot thanks to the lack of in-person scouting and other COVID-19-related impacts.

Essentially, that's what the trade was: Palmieri for a first-rounder. Greer and Jobst are depth talents on expiring contracts, although Greer has the potential to contribute. Zajac's trade value was extremely limited due to his age, effectiveness and full no-trade clause. It was likely going to be a team in the New York metropolitan area or back home in Winnipeg, or it was nothing. So the conditional fourth-rounder for Zajac is what it is.

Still, the value coming back to New Jersey for having retained 50% of both players' salaries should have been a bit more than a low first-rounder, two depth players and a fourth-round pick that becomes a third if the Islanders make the Stanley Cup Final.

Full story: Trade grades: Islanders smartly improve Cup chances with Palmieri deal

Reactions: Thrasymachus

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
The NYI's are holding their own in the toughest Div in hockey against OV and the Caps, Sid and Malkin of the Pens and the perfection line in Boston.
If you hang with those teams then you are a legitimate cup contender
...and the horrible New Jersey devils, and can't-stop-a-beachball Philly, and arguably the biggest joke of a team in the league, Buffalo, but I guess that doesn't fit the narrative.

There's no evidence that that is the "toughest division in hockey", despite your repeated baseless claims, and it's funny how you start naming players in the other division to prop it up, yet when discussing the North division, you conveniently forget about some of the best players in the league, including last year's MVP, and the consensus best player in the world.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Lol. God anything the Islanders do that even remotely resembles success causes massive insecurity among many on this board. Never really seen anything quite like it.
for what its worth I kinda get it

many of our fans were pretty cruel to ol' JT, and I think with hindsight and emotion set aside, we sort of over did it

that said I find the animosity between our fanbases rather tiresome and I am perfectly willing to have a respectful conversation with you all.

As a lurking isles fan stopping by, I love this trade for us.

Out of curiosity I have been reading the leafs want to target a forward? Who do you think you guys are after with Palm off the table? From an outsiders perspective it seems like Hall is just superfluous, you guys already have a stacked offense.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
I like the idea of the Islanders trading big futures for their triumphant march to the second round. What’s the pick and prospect count for Pageau, Palmieri and Zajac over the past two seasons?
also for what its worth, Jobst and Greer aren't exactly "prospects"

fringe NHLers at best

3blizzard4

Mar 29, 2021
Toronto
There is no doubt the road to the Stanley Cup goes through the Islanders. And we don't match up well against them past two years and they just upgraded in a major way.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
also for what its worth, Jobst and Greer aren't exactly "prospects"

fringe NHLers at best

Forwards A.J. Greer and Mason Jobst.

Greer, 24, was a second round selection in the 2015 NHL Draft. He has one goal and five assists in 37 career NHL games.

Jobst, 27, has five goals and 10 assists in 50 career AHL games.

Greer and Jobst are depth talents on expiring contracts, although Greer has the potential to contribute.

** This would be the equivalent of Leafs tossing Nic Petan and Adam Brooks or worse into a deal to land playoff veteran help.

Last edited:

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
not very good, thats a brutal situation over there, hoping they will all recover, hoping for a quick recovery... shitty all around

If you've had the flu , you know that even though you are "better" your lungs don't work was well as they did before, it takes time for you to build up lung capacity, it's like you are breathing through a straw. How can they expect those men to play elite hockey so soon after Covid?

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Forwards A.J. Greer and Mason Jobst.

Greer, 24, was a second round selection in the 2015 NHL Draft. He has one goal and five assists in 37 career NHL games.

Jobst, 27, has five goals and 10 assists in 50 career AHL games.

Greer and Jobst are depth talents on expiring contracts, although Greer has the potential to contribute.

** This would be the equivalent of Leafs tossing Nic Petan and Adam Brooks or worse into a deal to land playoff veteran help.
I agree, he has a bit of a bite to his game. I was hopeful he might grow into a depth player for us but yeah, not losing too much sleep over those two

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
for what its worth I kinda get it

many of our fans were pretty cruel to ol' JT, and I think with hindsight and emotion set aside, we sort of over did it

that said I find the animosity between our fanbases rather tiresome and I am perfectly willing to have a respectful conversation with you all.

As a lurking isles fan stopping by, I love this trade for us.

Out of curiosity I have been reading the leafs want to target a forward? Who do you think you guys are after with Palm off the table? From an outsiders perspective it seems like Hall is just superfluous, you guys already have a stacked offense.

JT coming our way and Lou heading your way is the reason I believe both sides wish the other side would fail.

I imagine Isles fans wish nothing good for JT and the Leafs and enjoy seeing us getting bounced early EVERY YEAR.
And we'd like to think that Lou is a disaster who's going to wreck the cap situation for not so great players.

As for forwards, there are a lot of names bouncing around here. Hall (who's probably not available), Foligno, Lafallo, and others. I personally would like a top 6 winger who is good enough to play with Mitch and Matthews without hindering them.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
JT coming our way and Lou heading your way is the reason I believe both sides wish the other side would fail.

I imagine Isles fans wish nothing good for JT and the Leafs and enjoy seeing us getting bounced early EVERY YEAR.
And we'd like to think that Lou is a disaster who's going to wreck the cap situation for not so great players.

As for forwards, there are a lot of names bouncing around here. Hall (who's probably not available), Foligno, Lafallo, and others. I personally would like a top 6 winger who is good enough to play with Mitch and Matthews without hindering them.
well just know that at least from this Isles fan POV, I don't wish JT anything bad at all. He was our captain and led our team through some dark years. he scored the goal that broke our terribly long playoff series win drought.

the month he left we had just fired weight and snow, who JT was very close with (but we HAD to fire them... we HAD too), JT is from Ontario, his family lives there, his at the time fiance and now wife lives there, he always was a leaf fan as a kid... it makes sense, I get it. I wish it had maybe happened differently and we had like flipped him to San Jose and then you guys signed him in the offseason, but it is what it is. He wanted to move on - only chance we had at keeping him IMHO was shackling ourselves to an inept GM and Coach because they are JTs friends. And even THEN, I still think his heart lied in Toronto.

As for you guys winning the cup, that would definitely be a tad annoying, but that is mostly because 1) the 1967 memes are too good and 2) I live in Canada and know many a leaf fan who would literally talk about it until I die of old age xD

Reactions: willmma

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
also in regards to Lou - is he perfect? No, far from it. You guys know full well about his penchant to overpay vets for instance

But the isles were a mickey mouse team for years. Sure Snow made a shrewd move every once in a while, but the man commanded no respect. Lou came in and immediately gave us a level of respectability we were desperately lacking. And while I think he made a few errors early on (e.g. overpaying komarov - though I like the signing, signing Hickey) because he wasn't super familair with our team... I kinda love the acquisitions he has made as of late. Bringing back Martin has worked well for us, Varly is a great mentor for Sorokin, and Pageau is a real gem. We will have to wait and see but I have always loved the way Zajac plays, and Palms seems like a good fit for our "boring" system :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad