Around the League - Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Oilers are my preferred matchup in Round 1, they just don't have the depth, or D to compete. McDrai would be toast by game 3 or 4 playing 28 minutes a night.

No faith in Smith/Koskanen either.

Montreal. When was the last time we had a playoff series against the Habs? Even in Covid, this will be epic

Hoping by then, they'll allow some fans in arenas or at least patios

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
It's always a good night when les Habitants lose.

Wouldn't it be something if CGY beat MTL in all the final 5 and somehow managed to pass them? Extremely unlikely, but would be a hoot.

I know playing them in the playoffs would be cool, but so would them epically missing!

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
So, Edmonton beat Ottawa all 9 games. They've beat Calgary 5 of 7.

That means they are only 11-13-2 against teams that aren't bottom-2 in the division.
Won 3 of 5 vs Vancouver as well

So 8-11-2 vs playoff teams in the North.

Also, McDavid & Draisaitl have both had 21 points in 9 games vs Ottawa.
In McDavid's case that's 2.33ppg vs Ottawa, 1.5ppg vs the rest of the division.

Now, lots of players pad stats against bad teams, so I'm not criticizing or cutting anyone down, just thought it was interesting to note.

3blizzard4

Mar 29, 2021
Toronto
So, Edmonton beat Ottawa all 9 games. They've beat Calgary 5 of 7.

That means they are only 11-13-2 against teams that aren't bottom-2 in the division.
Won 3 of 5 vs Vancouver as well

So 8-11-2 vs playoff teams in the North.

Also, McDavid & Draisaitl have both had 21 points in 9 games vs Ottawa.
In McDavid's case that's 2.33ppg vs Ottawa, 1.5ppg vs the rest of the division.

Now, lots of players pad stats against bad teams, so I'm not criticizing or cutting anyone down, just thought it was interesting to note.

Trying brining those stats up with LOiler fans.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
That Pearson deal remind me of several years ago when the Leafs re-signed Grabovski (I think) after they had acquired Bolland, and had Kadri breaking onto the roster .. And the Leafs then had to dump Grabo because of it.

Or maybe I have my history wrong, it's early :laugh:

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Montreal. When was the last time we had a playoff series against the Habs? Even in Covid, this will be epic

Hoping by then, they'll allow some fans in arenas or at least patios

I would LOVE to beat Montreal in a series.
I THINK Edmonton, styilistically, matches up better for us in the 1st round.
Let Montreal and Winnipeg grind and defend eachoter to death for a round before we need to deal with them.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I would LOVE to beat Montreal in a series.
I THINK Edmonton, styilistically, matches up better for us in the 1st round.
Let Montreal and Winnipeg grind and defend eachoter to death for a round before we need to deal with them.

It's going to be interesting. I think it's probable that we get Montreal in the first round. But, they have four games left against Edmonton, and are 3 wins, 1 loss and 1 OT win against them... so they might make up some ground. However, they don't match up well with the Flames, going 1 win, three losses so far, and have five more games against them.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
A Habs-Leafs playoff series wouldn't just be good, it would be great for the sport of hockey as a historical rivalry I think things have definitely wained a bit in recent years due to the lack of post season matchups

Reactions: The Cobra and bax

rdogg

I cry your pardon
Aug 4, 2010
PEI
That Pearson deal remind me of several years ago when the Leafs re-signed Grabovski (I think) after they had acquired Bolland, and had Kadri breaking onto the roster .. And the Leafs then had to dump Grabo because of it.

I never understood why the Leafs bought out Grabovski. If they wanted him off the team so bad I thought they could have traded him for a 7th round pick at least.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I never understood why the Leafs bought out Grabovski. If they wanted him off the team so bad I thought they could have traded him for a 7th round pick at least.

Grabo was done by then. His contract was atrocious at the time. His concussion history and lost a step because of it.
He was being paid 5.5 and was really poor in the playoffs

He was overpaid to begin with at the time. Also, this is when Bell/Rogers took over. I think they wanted to get away from certain players and era
Burke was also fired right after the lock out

After the lock out, the entire line fell of the cliff. Kulemin went from 30 goal to like a 8 goal scorer next 2 years
McArthur had reoccuring injuries

Reactions: rdogg

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

Grabo was signed before Bolland. I think he re-signed before Carlyle was hired. After Carlyle was hired and he made obvious his dislike of Grabovski and MacArthur, both players were moved out in favour of more Carlyle-like players in Bolland and Clarkson.

I’m still not impressed with those series of events that off-season.

Just checked, Carlyle was hired March 2nd 2012, Grabo signed his new contract March 6th 2012. What a dumb way to go about it. Why sign a guy long term before you know your newly hired head coach will like him?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Maybe bc of the 3 games in Edmonton, but I think Oilers is the best match up. Habs will be good too bc I think Price is hurt really bad and their defence is slow. Jets is the least favourable matchup bc of Helle and their forwards. Flames will be interesting too.

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
That Habs against Jets game was dog shit garbage. Both teams have terrible defense. Only difference was the Jets have decent goaltending and scoring.

Habs should have rebuilt or tanked. They never did and never got 1OA picks. The one top 3 pick they have had plays on our team lol

Reactions: willmma

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Habs should have rebuilt or tanked. They never did and never got 1OA picks. The one top 3 pick they have had plays on our team lol

You're forgetting about Kotkaniemi .. But he hasn't exactly lit it up so far his career.

Their other top 10 pick was Sergachev and we know how that turned out

Reactions: TopChedder

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
You're forgetting about Kotkaniemi .. But he hasn't exactly lit it up so far his career.

Their other top 10 pick was Sergachev and we know how that turned out

Very true!

I meant more of top 5....or was KK top 5? Lol I cannot remember.

But the only way to get young elite talent is to draft it most times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad