Around the League - Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Verhaeghe was a UFA. Could have picked any team he wanted. I think that was a bigger miss for Tampa than anyone else. Literally non-tendered him. Also a testament to some of the guys who are making Verhaeghe look as good as he is right now (Barkov, Huberdeau, etc.).

No regrets on Dermott + Johnsson over Weegar though. It's nice that Weegar has found some success, especially on the LD with Ekblad, but I would rather take the bet on Dermott + Anderson and have Brodie sign for zero assets. We should be pushing Dermott to a top 4 role if we want to develop our own Weegar.

Also one thing with Verhaeghe, he knew when he signed in Florida that he had a really good shot at an extended stay in their top 6, even if he sucked out of the gate. If you look at Florida's forward depth right now, you can see why he chose them over many others. 3/5 of his first games in Florida he played 19+ minutes with guys like Barkov and on the PP.

Stonehands1990

Apr 2, 2021
Also one thing with Verhaeghe, he knew when he signed in Florida that he had a really good shot at an extended stay in their top 6, even if he sucked out of the gate. If you look at Florida's forward depth right now, you can see why he chose them over many others. 3/5 of his first games in Florida he played 19+ minutes with guys like Barkov and on the PP.

I remember when Lou traded Verhaeghe and 3 other contract slots for Grabner. Who would have ever seen this breakout coming though

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I remember when Lou traded Verhaeghe and 3 other contract slots for Grabner. Who would have ever seen this breakout coming though

Guys come out of nowhere. He looked like an offensive 4th line AAAA guy on Tampa last year, and figured it out in Florida. Same thing happened with Marchessault. For all we know Petan and Malgin could do the exact same thing here, or elsewhere. Both are continuously improving and dominate every league except for the NHL.

Reactions: uncleben

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
Didn't Eugene Melnyk promise that the sens were supposed to be spending to the cap from 2021-2026 on a five year run that will see unparalleled success? How's that going for them so far...? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

Lou also let him go on the Islanders, and that's when he signed in Tampa.

Was always a project pick and would take time to develop. No idea why the Leafs gave up on him so early in basically a throwaway deal, especially considering the organization's lack of centre depth at the time of the deal. Now he isn't a centre anymore, but then he was.

Reactions: Menzinger

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Was always a project pick and would take time to develop. No idea why the Leafs gave up on him so early in basically a throwaway deal, especially considering the organization's lack of centre depth at the time of the deal. Now he isn't a centre anymore, but then he was.
Yeah, a few drafted C’s like that the last handful of years who weren’t world beaters, but seemed like serviceable two-way types who might develop.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Lou also let him go on the Islanders, and that's when he signed in Tampa.

Definitely regrettable in retrospect. I suppose that original deal was more about freeing contract slots but I can't remember what the teams situation was in that area at the time.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Yeah, a few drafted C’s like that the last handful of years who weren’t world beaters, but seemed like serviceable two-way types who might develop.

Verhaeghe is not a center nor a two-way player. He's a pure offensive winger.

Probably one of the reasons why he was dumped.

I would say I hold out hope that a guy like Adam Brooks can turn out the same way, but I doubt it.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Verhaeghe is not a center nor a two-way player. He's a pure offensive winger.

Probably one of the reasons why he was dumped.

I would say I hold out hope that a guy like Adam Brooks can turn out the same way, but I doubt it.
Sure, but there was Stotts and a couple other guys (McSomebody) at centre who seemed projectable as defensively responsible guys.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Sure, but there was Stotts and a couple other guys (McSomebody) at centre who seemed projectable as defensively responsible guys.
If you have to refer to him as McSomebody then he probably wasn't worth a contract in the end.

It was Ryan McGregor.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
Selfishly I am hoping the Canucks postpone there schedule one more week to give us some breathing room in our schedule on the 17th.

Our schedule is brutal this month. 17 games in 31 days. 4 games include back-to-back games three straight weeks.

upload_2021-4-6_9-57-29.png

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
If you have to refer to him as McSomebody then he probably wasn't worth a contract in the end.

It was Ryan McGregor.
Yup, that was him, and they know more than me. No doubt there.
Just that there wasn’t a shortage of contract spots. And not a great volume of C prospects. Between him, Stotts, and Joshua I figured one might get an ELC as worth trying to develop.

3blizzard4

Mar 29, 2021
Toronto
What's up with LOiler fans crapping all over Calgary? Jeez. Calgary has thrown in the towel. Their forum is hardly active. Calgary Fans don't give a $hit. Why are LOiler fans flogging a dead horse so much? Calgary is in tank mode. The few Calgary fans that post are more than happy with this.

Where would LOilers be without McDavid? Heck where would they be without a 39 year old goaltender who is standing on his head every night bailing that sorry a$s team every single night? They are not that much better than Calgary. Yet the bravado tone is out of this world!

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Selfishly I am hoping the Canucks postpone there schedule one more week to give us some breathing room in our schedule on the 17th.

Our schedule is brutal this month. 17 games in 31 days. 4 games include back-to-back games three straight weeks.

View attachment 418025

On the flip side, we could end up being Vancouver's first game or two back, after they haven't played, or practised in weeks... probably missing players, and not fully recovered...

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
What's up with LOiler fans crapping all over Calgary? Jeez. Calgary has thrown in the towel. Their forum is hardly active. Calgary Fans don't give a $hit. Why are LOiler fans flogging a dead horse so much? Calgary is in tank mode. The few Calgary fans that post are more than happy with this.

Where would LOilers be without McDavid? Heck where would they be without a 39 year old goaltender who is standing on his head every night bailing that sorry a$s team every single night? They are not that much better than Calgary. Yet the bravado tone is out of this world!

Flames fans are way more active on CalgaryPuck than HFboards.

Those two fanbases truly hate each other lol

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I've seen some nice Oiler fans. Every fanbase has bad fans... I am pretty sure the Leafs fanbase have more bad fans than some teams have fans in general. We also have a lot of great fans too.

Last edited by a moderator:

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Riley Nash out for 4-6 weeks. That should kill his TDL stock, although he was not really a guy for the Leafs anyways.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.

View attachment 418025

The situation in Vancouver is nowhere close to being resolved. Even if they are allowed to resume play on April 17th, it will likely be their AHL team.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
With all of TB FLA WSH losing tonight the leafs leapfrog into 3rd in the league at .705 behind only COL .737 and CAR .724.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad