Around the League 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Yeah public votes of confidence are often seen as a kiss of death, although there's also lots of examples where that isn't the case. My guess is with the pandemic and the short season Benning and Green get the whole season but who's to say.

I definitely don't want to see it here but I'm curious to see how Benning would do on another team. I have a sneaking suspicion he's not quite the problem there.

Benning's biggest problem is his actions with the FA market, where he's been hands down one of the worst GMs in the recent years. Just look at the list of his signings: Loui Eriksson, Tyler Myers, Antoine Roussel, Jay Beagle, Jordie Benn, Tim Schaller, on and on it goes. It's like, if you're old and/or over the hill, Jimbo has a special place for you in his heart.

And the worst part is not only the fact that he chose to overpay some bums, but also the fact that he's made that team so cap-strapped they struggle to make signings that they should make. Jacob Markström and Tyler Toffoli both say hello, just as recent examples.

It's quite sad, really, considering other things that Benning has done. He was first given an unenviable task of dismantling a former contender, now VAN is considered a team on the rise in the NHL. His bigger trades in recent times, such as JT Miller and the aforementioned Toffoli, turned out to be excellent moves. Contract extensions to guys like Miller, Horvat, Boeser couldn't have been much more team-friendly. He's also drafted pretty well towards the latter years of his tenure, although high-profile whiffs on guys like Virtanen and Juolevi drag his overall drafting down a little.

Benning may end up getting another chance in the NHL, but he better learn his lesson and just stop spending money in free agency.

Reactions: AngelDuck
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Benning's biggest problem is his actions with the FA market, where he's been hands down one of the worst GMs in the recent years. Just look at the list of his signings: Loui Eriksson, Tyler Myers, Antoine Roussel, Jay Beagle, Jordie Benn, Tim Schaller, on and on it goes. It's like, if you're old and/or over the hill, Jimbo has a special place for you in his heart.

And the worst part is not only the fact that he chose to overpay some bums, but also the fact that he's made that team so cap-strapped they struggle to make signings that they should make. Jacob Markström and Tyler Toffoli both say hello, just as recent examples.

It's quite sad, really, considering other things that Benning has done. He was first given an unenviable task of dismantling a former contender, now VAN is considered a team on the rise in the NHL. His bigger trades in recent times, such as JT Miller and the aforementioned Toffoli, turned out to be excellent moves. Contract extensions to guys like Miller, Horvat, Boeser couldn't have been much more team-friendly. He's also drafted pretty well towards the latter years of his tenure, although high-profile whiffs on guys like Virtanen and Juolevi drag his overall drafting down a little.

Benning may end up getting another chance in the NHL, but he better learn his lesson and just stop spending money in free agency.

That's why I wonder if ownership is the real problem. He started his tenure with one of the best players wanting out and him needing to get a return featuring NHL players because rebuilding wasn't an option. Theres always been this constant pressure to be a playoff team and the easiest way to improve, but also the worst, is through free agency. You could say he should be smarter in FA but honestly I don't know if it's possible to be overly active and smart when it comes to that.

I dunno, maybe that is just all him, but I'd love to see him in a spot where he's at least allowed to take his time, just to see what he does.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Galchenyuk is terrible. His trend is just straight downhill. I think this is perhaps his last chance before he’s looking at a contract in Europe

Reactions: TheGoodShepard1

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary

He wasn’t even with the Canes long enough to have pic with their jersey, lol.

glad Murray stayed clear. Galchenyuk is basically a Matthew Lombardi type at this point, but worse defensive play. Maybe he can do something in Toronto where they have plenty of forwards who can do the thinking part for him.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
What a terrific feel-good comeback for Ottawa on top of the absolutely glorious meltdown in LeafLand (Freddy excluded).

The team is young and green like he is, but I walked away very impressed with Stutzle. Kid will be a star.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
If we ever see NHL players in the Olympics again, will Team Germany be Stutzle and Draisaitl playing 25+ minutes a game and the rest of the roster being told 'just give the puck to Drais or Stutz' ? Like when the NBA players went to the Olympics, team germany was just 'pass the ball to Dirk Nowitzki'.
Maybe Peterka and Reichel pan out and they have more than just those 2 players with talent.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
If we ever see NHL players in the Olympics again, will Team Germany be Stutzle and Draisaitl playing 25+ minutes a game and the rest of the roster being told 'just give the puck to Drais or Stutz' ? Like when the NBA players went to the Olympics, team germany was just 'pass the ball to Dirk Nowitzki'.
Maybe Peterka and Reichel pan out and they have more than just those 2 players with talent.
You are missing that Seider will be an absolute stud.
They still have Grubauer, Kuhnackl, Rieder, and others. They would not bead Canada, but that is a roster to challenge some traditional hockey countries.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
They still have Grubauer, Kuhnackl, Rieder, and others. They would not bead Canada, but that is a roster to challenge some traditional hockey countries.

Don't forget Kahun. Germany is becoming better and with Draisaitl and Stutzle, they could definitely build two very scary lines around them in a couple of years after Stutzle develops and grows. Peterka looked very promising in WJC and I would be surprised if he didn't become a regular NHL player. Great chemistry with Stutzle. Germany just needs to develop a couple of NHL defencemen to really compete with the best nations. Will be exciting to see if this happens.

Reactions: Kalv and Paul4587

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I could see Seider playing 30 minutes a game for the german national team. Grubauer def their #1 goalie. Greiss as the backup.

I guess on the national level Stutztle could play Center for them, have Drais on line 1 with 1 of Peterka or Reichel. Then line 2 with Stutzle center the other winger.
Filling the other top 6 winger spots with Rieder and Kuhnackl. In the olympics, perhaps Holzer on their 3rd pairing ? but he might be too old by then.

top6 forwards
Peterka/Draisaitl/Rieder
Reichel/Stutzle/Kuhnackl

Dmen:
Seider/Holzer (?)
Maybe Erhoff out of retirement ?

Goalies:
Grubauer
Greiss.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Watching the Rangers makes me feel better about the Ducks struggles. Not sure if thats good or bad. Oh well.

TheGoodShepard1

Nov 26, 2017
Watching the Rangers makes me feel better about the Ducks struggles. Not sure if thats good or bad. Oh well.

As much as I think the middle is the worst place you can be in sports, be thankful the Rangers and Ducks haven’t completely torn it down and still have some semblance of a culture, unlike Buffalo who completely tanked, look noncompetitive, and have completely alienated their superstar who they’ll have to rebuild around AGAIN and may have to move if he tries to force himself out (which I think may become more likely in the next couple years at the rate they’re going)

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
As much as I think the middle is the worst place you can be in sports, be thankful the Rangers and Ducks haven’t completely torn it down and still have some semblance of a culture, unlike Buffalo who completely tanked, look noncompetitive, and have completely alienated their superstar who they’ll have to rebuild around AGAIN and may have to move if he tries to force himself out (which I think may become more likely in the next couple years at the rate they’re going)

I thought the Rangers were a step ahead of Anaheim in their rebuilds, and maybe can blame it on this weird season for their bad play. I feel the Ducks work hard and try but don’t have that elite skill outside of Gibson to score more goals. Maybe their record has a few more wins with some of that talent.

With the Rangers, there is so much skill and talent just being wasted and I find a lot of the players are just coasting and not caring. Sure, Ducks have had those moments but not like NY. Outside of Panarin and maybe Buchnevich there isn’t much going with scoring and some of these guys put up big seasons last year. The 1st and 2nd OA picks have 4 points total among them. Crazy. That’s the same as Henrique. Lol.

I’m just wondering if the Ducks had one or two elite guys scoring would it really make a difference if utilized correctly. I would hope so. This is why they cannot rush the young guys who are knocking on the door to the NHL. Have to be careful and smart.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Will be interesting to see how it’ll be before we start hearing of Malkin trade rumours with Burke there.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
McDavid 500th point comes in his 369th game, same as Crosby’s 500th. Crazy how similar their careers started. Very similar scoring rates over their first 6 years too. McDavid has more regular season hardware but Crosby had the cup (although put Mcdavid on that Pens team and I think they have the same success).

Edit: and man can Draisaitl snipe. 501 for McDavid now.

TheGoodShepard1

Nov 26, 2017
McDavid 500th point comes in his 369th game, same as Crosby’s 500th. Crazy how similar their careers started. Very similar scoring rates over their first 6 years too. McDavid has more regular season hardware but Crosby had the cup (although put Mcdavid on that Pens team and I think they have the same success).

Edit: and man can Draisaitl snipe. 501 for McDavid now.

This graphic was a fascinating look into the numbers. Would never have thought Peter Stastny would have been 3rd fastest to 500 behind Gretzky and Lemieux. Also a good reminder for the millennials like me who only got a glimpse of his late career how good Lindros was before concussions got to him.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
This graphic was a fascinating look into the numbers. Would never have thought Peter Stastny would have been 3rd fastest to 500 behind Gretzky and Lemieux. Also a good reminder for the millennials like me who only got a glimpse of his late career how good Lindros was before concussions got to him.

Yeah Lindros was an absolute force. I’m too young to remember Hart trophy Lindros but do remember him being dominant in the late 90s when he was actually in the lineup. It’s a shame injuries ruined his career.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I genuinely think if we played in the Canadian division it would solve our offensive woes. Nobody knows how to defend in Canada. We would certainly have the best defensive core in the division.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013

stastny is so underrated

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Those guys are great but I don’t buy that any of them except for the obvious top 2(Gretzky and Mario) are better than Crosby and McDavid. That era was just so much easier to score in

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai

Stastny hit the NHL as an older rookie, like a lot of soviet defectors, and his first 7 or 8 seasons were bananas. If he'd started younger and hadn't played on a horrendous team, he'd be much more widely known and much higher up the all time lists.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Those guys are great but I don’t buy that any of them except for the obvious top 2(Gretzky and Mario) are better than Crosby and McDavid. That era was just so much easier to score in

It was, and when it's all said and done none of them will be regarded as such. On the other hand, that just makes Lindros' so much more impressive, most of that was in the dead puck era. His prime might be up there with anyone's.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
To put it in perspective how easy it was to score back then, a good goalie had a SV% around .88 1980s NHL Goalies Scoring Leaders
NHL goalies were putting up Martin Jones numbers without the giant goalie equipment they now have.

McDavid would absolutely destroy 1980s defenses and goalies. He would probably break Gretzkys single season point record.

and if you had a Time Machine and took McDavid to the 1980s Oilers teams and had him be Gretzky's teammate then well 10 cups in a row ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad