Around the League 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
They are screwed on the back-end. They do have some good prospects in the minors (moreso than at forward), but Burns and Karlsson aren’t going to keep producing forever and Vlasic doesn’t even look like an NHL defenseman anymore.
What they have going for them is that the 2021 draft has alot if stud Dmen to replace Burns with. They may be able to trade Burns somehow and draft one of Clarke, Lambos, Edvinsson, Hughes.

They could also trade Couture while he's still under 35 and give the C to Hertl. Only players they shouldn't trade is Hertl and Meier who will still be good when rebuild is complete.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
What they have going for them is that the 2021 draft has alot if stud Dmen to replace Burns with. They may be able to trade Burns somehow and draft one of Clarke, Lambos, Edvinsson, Hughes.

They could also trade Couture while he's still under 35 and give the C to Hertl. Only players they shouldn't trade is Hertl and Meier who will still be good when rebuild is complete.
There is no way they could trade Burns without throwing in a 1st round pick, bloke turns 36 next month and carries an 8m caphit for another 4 seasons. Even someone like Couture will be near impossible to move without decent retention, 8m caphit for another 6 seasons until he's 38, and he's never even broken a PPG.

Our rebuild will be of a decent length, but the San Jose rebuild could legitmately take close to the entire decade.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
San Jose is in bad shape for sure.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Interesting part about Nashville being garbage this year with -14 goal differential is that they are in line to draft a really good Dman to join a Dcore that already has Josi, Ekholm, Ellis.
Should someone draft Johnson and or Beniers before they pick that likely means they pick a Dman for sure.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Interesting part about Nashville being garbage this year with -14 goal differential is that they are in line to draft a really good Dman to join a Dcore that already has Josi, Ekholm, Ellis.
Should someone draft Johnson and or Beniers before they pick that likely means they pick a Dman for sure.

True, but all three of those d-men are 30. They would be 32-34 and trending down by the time the 2021 draftee joins the d-core.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
True, but all three of those d-men are 30. They would be 32-34 and trending down by the time the 2021 draftee joins the d-core.
Wow i assumed those 3 were still 25 to 27. That roster of Nashville is getting old fast.
Their long term replacement for Rinne, Saros is having a garbage year while Rinne at 38 has a .911%, probably Rinne's last productive year.
Didn't realize Saros is only 5'11. Yikes.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Now that Burkie is in Pitt, I imagine they will want to add some grit. So Bennett or Virtanen would not surprise me there

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
It's early, but so far it's looking like Winnipeg got absolutely hosed in the PLD-Laine deal. And the funny thing is, it's not even because of Laine -- Jack Roslovic is blowing up big time, he's got 4 goals and 9 points in his first 8 games for the Jackets, quite effectively replacing Dubois' on-ice impact at around $2 million AAV. It's like the main trade target and the throw-in guy have somehow changed their "roles" lol.

In fact, this deal is looking so good for the Jackets, it doesn't even matter if they have to re-trade Laine to a 3rd team. Another feather in the cap for Jarmo, who continues to be one of the best GMs in the league. The dude has dealt with all kinds of garbage situations in Columbus, yet always figured out a way to come out on top, while keeping the team relatively competitive in the process.

Reactions: SmokeyDuck

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Yeah, I would not like to trade with Jarmo :laugh:
Albeit Milano was a great pickup for us, relatively cheap

Damn, WE HAVE MILANO, I forgot

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
Dzingel back to Ottawa in exchange for Paquette and Galchenyuk

Man, it’s just not gonna happen for him, is it? The KHL abounds.

Decent trade for Ottawa considering Paquette appears to have had no interest in playing there

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Man, it’s just not gonna happen for him, is it? The KHL abounds.

Decent trade for Ottawa considering Paquette appears to have had no interest in playing there

Paquette went from winning a cup in Tampa to Ottawa, I would Be pretty miserable also. He was solid for Tampa but they needed to move cap.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
There's speculation on the main board that Benning may get axed from VAN.

VAN is 6-11 to start the season, currently on a 6 game losing streak. Don't know if they're ready to let Benning go in the immediate future, but his seat has to be hot for sure.

Reactions: Kalv

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
He probably should go. He invested too much money on bottom tier players and they lost out on actual good players because of it.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
what's the deal with vancouver? they have a bunch of young talent like hughes, boeser, pettersson, and demko and they made some decent moves in the offseason

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Between Vegas being careless and now Tampa with Stamkos testing positive and was at a team super bowl party, the NHL needs to start taking some action. They fined Washington 100k, but get really serious, start taking picks away or something.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
what's the deal with vancouver? they have a bunch of young talent like hughes, boeser, pettersson, and demko and they made some decent moves in the offseason

They lost a top 5 goalie in the league who was covering up a lot of their defensive issues and also lost Tanev who was a great stabilising partner for Hughes who has been a train wreck in his own end this season. Their offensive depth is pretty suspect also, especially after not bringing Tofolli back. The Schmidt move was a really good one but they needed a right hand shot more than they did another left shot.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Between Vegas being careless and now Tampa with Stamkos testing positive and was at a team super bowl party, the NHL needs to start taking some action. They fined Washington 100k, but get really serious, start taking picks away or something.

Where was it reported he was at a Super Bowl party? I read that he’s on the protocol list but that Stamkos was expecting it’s a false positive.

The Vegas stuff is on the league not having good enough protocols in place, they didn’t break any rules as far as I’m aware.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Does anyone honestly believe that most of the league didn’t go to some sort of super bowl party? You cannot police something like that without a bubble

the nhl made their bed, now lay in it

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
There's speculation on the main board that Benning may get axed from VAN.

VAN is 6-11 to start the season, currently on a 6 game losing streak. Don't know if they're ready to let Benning go in the immediate future, but his seat has to be hot for sure.

The plot thickens -- VAN owner Aquilini tweeted his vote of confidence for the current coaching and management staff.

Any firings don't seem imminent, but the guys probably aren't completely off the hook either. For example, Botterill was fired 3 weeks after his vote of confidence from the Pegulas, while Chiarelli lasted about 8 months after getting a similar statement. Then again, guys like Sakic and Bergevin are still in their respective positions, so time will tell which path Benning will end up on.

EDIT: Full Aquilini statement here.

Quack Shot

Nov 14, 2010
SoCal
The plot thickens -- VAN owner Aquilini tweeted his vote of confidence for the current coaching and management staff.

Any firings don't seem imminent, but the guys probably aren't completely off the hook either. For example, Botterill was fired 3 weeks after his vote of confidence from the Pegulas, while Chiarelli lasted about 8 months after getting a similar statement. Then again, guys like Sakic and Bergevin are still in their respective positions, so time will tell which path Benning will end up on.

EDIT: Full Aquilini statement here.

Didn’t Bob say he had confidence in Carlyle like 2 days before he was fired? Then Bruce became available and he picked up the phone immediately.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Didn’t Bob say he had confidence in Carlyle like 2 days before he was fired? Then Bruce became available and he picked up the phone immediately.

Yeah public votes of confidence are often seen as a kiss of death, although there's also lots of examples where that isn't the case. My guess is with the pandemic and the short season Benning and Green get the whole season but who's to say.

I definitely don't want to see it here but I'm curious to see how Benning would do on another team. I have a sneaking suspicion he's not quite the problem there.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
That team doesn’t even try to play defense. It is weird because for a while in the 2000s the Canucks were such a defense-first team.

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
Yeah public votes of confidence are often seen as a kiss of death, although there's also lots of examples where that isn't the case. My guess is with the pandemic and the short season Benning and Green get the whole season but who's to say.
I agree. Given the dollar losses that every team is taking there is a strong disincentive to fire anyone with a contract mid season and have to pay two expensive people to do one job. Plus Green was rated highly for his handling the team last year, so the inclination is to give him at least this full season to see what he can do with a less talented team. To me Benning is in a more difficult position since he is the guy who signed the players and let other players walk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad