Around The League 2019-20 VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Until the time when the team using the emergency goalie loses, then it'll come up again. They got lucky that it worked this time.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
The NHL doesn’t have to have to change the current EBUG policy even if a team loses a regular season game with one. Teams can lose games due to injuries, it happens. The scrubs play less than half a game with their adrenaline shot through the roof. The team in front of them just needs to tighten up their defense and hope for the best. It happens once a season if at all anyway, let the accountants and zamboni drivers have their moment.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Until the time when the team using the emergency goalie loses, then it'll come up again. They got lucky that it worked this time.

As Mirtle pointed out, EBUG's have played a total of 43 minutes over the course of 50,000 games dating back nearly 60 years (since NHL went to 2-goalie system). It's an extremely rare occurrence that doesn't really warrant a drastic overhaul of the process, especially considering the two EBUG's that did play performed reasonably well. Maybe you just tweak it to have some type of standard in place for the quality of the EBUG's, though that's a bit tougher to enforce in certain markets, where they may not be that many capable goaltenders in the area.

It's actually a bit surprising that the original system set up wasn't to have a skater suit up as the 3rd goaltender in case of emergency. That's basically what happens in other leagues - if you run out of QB's in football or pitchers in baseball, a player from a different position has to step in.

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
Oilers-Predators should be a good game

Is McDavid playing?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The NHL doesn’t have to have to change the current EBUG policy even if a team loses a regular season game with one. Teams can lose games due to injuries, it happens. The scrubs play less than half a game with their adrenaline shot through the roof. The team in front of them just needs to tighten up their defense and hope for the best. It happens once a season if at all anyway, let the accountants and zamboni drivers have their moment.

The only thing I would change is to have 'each' team provide one. If that zamboni driver who works for the team took a dive for the Leafs (which he could have conceivably), nobody'd be the wiser for it since it's not like you really expect these guys to do well anyway.

But yes it's more feasible to continue on with the current system then just carry a third goalie who's never going to play unless someone gets hurt, then they would be totally rusty instead of having played at the AHL/ECHL. I am kind of surprised they don't make these teams suit up a defenseman the way baseball teams have to suit up a random position player as an emergency catcher though.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
we just need 3 in the playoffs

We only need 12 regular season games, too. Since they've got 18 left, even the regular season number isn't unrealistic.

And it's 70% of playoffs. 3 is just the number if they get swept.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
f***ing finally!

That rule was so stupid

:facepalm: This was never the problem. The problem is that players can no longer trust the officials and just play the whistle, they now have to effectively call offside on themselves if they don't want goals taken away from them.

Of course, I should just give up and realize that dumb rules like this will never go anywhere, and indeed, more dumb rules will continue to be added.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
So I heard Boychuk had like 90 stitches in his eye lid after getting cut with a skate.

How long before guys start going full face shield?

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Looks like the cap is going up $3-$7 million.

f***. There goes our weapon.

A $3 mil increase won't likely bail out most cap strapped teams. That's a decent but not great bridge for an RFA. I'm guessing that the Lucics of the world provide bigger problems. I don't think it will rise to the top of the range given that I think that requires an escalator choice on the part of the players' union.

Reactions: Blackjack

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
A $3 mil increase won't likely bail out most cap strapped teams. That's a decent but not great bridge for an RFA. I'm guessing that the Lucics of the world provide bigger problems. I don't think it will rise to the top of the range given that I think that requires an escalator choice on the part of the players' union.

If you split the difference and guess $5 million that's an additional $65 million league wide. It's no bueno. We can still leverage our cap space, it's just not as powerful.

Reactions: My3Sons

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
It will still be stupid if they don't address a goal being scored long after the offsides takes place. The definition of "long after" - that's the next problem.

Offsides is offsides is offsides.

If the puck is whipped past the goalie and hits the back bar and comes right back out undetected and the other team scores a goal, should that goal count, too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad