Around The League 2019-20 VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Islanders now 19-20-7 since starting 16-3-1 - they're in legitimate danger of missing the playoffs.
The NYI’s 2 wins in their last 11 games were against the Red Wings and the Sharks. They were shut out three times, had 2 one goal games and 2 two goal games in those 11 games.

The Isles did get two loser points and they’re benefiting from Carolina’s struggles but they need to start winning at some point to stay ahead of both the Rags and the Canes. Their 1st is only lottery protected, it’s crazy how good Ottawa’s draft haul could potentially be.

Reactions: mdj12784

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Why the NHL's salary cap is actually unlikely to rise much...

Interesting look at the cap for next season and why Mirtle believes the figures currently out there are unrealistic.

He mentions players wanting to minimize the escrow (being the largest factor), possible coronavirus impact and possible Canadian Dollar impact among reasons the cap isn't expected to increase much.

From the article:

The players' only mechanism for trying to get escrow lowered at this point is trying to keep the cap down, which is why that $88.2-million figure the NHL released was so outlandish. That figure would require the league to hit its high revenue projections for the rest of this season and the NHLPA to go with the full five percent inflator to the cap.

Multiple sources on the players' side said on Thursday that has almost no chance of happening. In fact, many believe the cap will not even reach the league's minimum projected figure of $84-million for next season, which would mean an increase of $2.5-million or less.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Why the NHL's salary cap is actually unlikely to rise much...

Interesting look at the cap for next season and why Mirtle believes the figures currently out there are unrealistic.

He mentions players wanting to minimize the escrow (being the largest factor), possible coronavirus impact and possible Canadian Dollar impact among reasons the cap isn't expected to increase much.

From the article:

The players' only mechanism for trying to get escrow lowered at this point is trying to keep the cap down, which is why that $88.2-million figure the NHL released was so outlandish. That figure would require the league to hit its high revenue projections for the rest of this season and the NHLPA to go with the full five percent inflator to the cap.

Multiple sources on the players' side said on Thursday that has almost no chance of happening. In fact, many believe the cap will not even reach the league's minimum projected figure of $84-million for next season, which would mean an increase of $2.5-million or less.

Yeah, some folks on the main board were pointing this out. I don't know why the league threw those numbers out there, maybe to pressure the NHLPA to do the full inflator? A small bump would obviously be great for us in leveraging our cap space. (Don't know why people say "weaponize", leverage is the right term, and is commonly used for similar situations in business)

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Yeah, some folks on the main board were pointing this out. I don't know why the league threw those numbers out there, maybe to pressure the NHLPA to do the full inflator? A small bump would obviously be great for us in leveraging our cap space. (Don't know why people say "weaponize", leverage is the right term, and is commonly used for similar situations in business)

Why would the league want to to pressure the NHLPA to do the full inflator? At the end of the day, they get 50% of the revenue, so what's in it for them if the Cup goes up by a larger amount or stays relatively flat?

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
General managers want the most cap room possible for flexibility. I think also as a secondary consideration, the league likes the appearance of large wage growth (implying revenues are up, which they really aren't).

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Why would the league want to to pressure the NHLPA to do the full inflator? At the end of the day, they get 50% of the revenue, so what's in it for them if the Cup goes up by a larger amount or stays relatively flat?

Yeah, it's a bit of a puzzle, but look at it this way... "the league" is essentially nothing but an organization of the 31 franchise front offices, right? Most of those front offices are at, or close to the cap. A full inflator that artificially boosts the cap gives them more flexibility. Sure, it hurts the other franchises, but as long as the number of teams that would benefit from it outnumber the ones that would be hurt, "the league" would be expected to prefer the full inflator.

Reactions: HBK27

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
General managers want the most cap room possible for flexibility. I think also as a secondary consideration, the league likes the appearance of large wage growth (implying revenues are up, which they really aren't).

I'm almost certain that teams like NJ, Ottawa, and Colorado that have a lot of cap space would prefer less cap room to force the other teams to make moves that they wouldn't otherwise make. I just think that the GMs that want more cap space outnumber the ones that want less.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Some NCAA teams are starting their conference tournaments this weekend. So it's possible that some guys end up signing after this weekend if they're on teams that aren't likely to make the 16 team National Tournament.

From the couple of podcasts I've listened to regarding NCAA free agents, it seemed to be an average crop at best.

Edit: TSN article on their top 5 - Friday Five: NHL teams turn focus to top NCAA free agents - TSN.ca

1. LD Connor Mackey
2. G John Lethemon
3. LD Brinson Pasichnuk
4. LW Drew O'Connor
5. RW Mitchell Chaffee

Of note, Seravelli points out that Pasichnuk might have to wait a few more weeks to see if Arizona State makes the cut for the tournament.

O'Connor is a New Jersey native, but Seravelli notes that he could return for his junior year.

Last edited:

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
Over on the Isles board they listed Pelech as one of the ‘top-pair defenseman’ down for Metro teams

If Adam freaking Pelech is a top pair dman than Damon Severson is a #1 lmao

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Poor Simmonds, sent to Buffalo for a ‘playoff push’ and the Devils are tied with them in the standings.

Pitaya

Dec 14, 2019
The Isles losing in the fashion they did was BEAUTIFUL

Barzal with a double minor into OT - such a dumb player

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Carolina is such an odd team, I know they have a lot of injuries but that’s no excuse for not being ahead of the NYI and the CBJ in the standings.

Fear the Wushu

Dec 4, 2013
New Brunswick, NJ
The Isles losing in the fashion they did was BEAUTIFUL

Barzal with a double minor into OT - such a dumb player

Dumb player? His instincts in the offensive zone are elite, he's so good at skating around and then making the correct pass.

He's my favorite skater to watch in the entire NHL, his edges and ability to evade defenders might be the best in the NHL. Also elite top end speed too.

Pitaya

Dec 14, 2019
Dumb player? His instincts in the offensive zone are elite, he's so good at skating around and then making the correct pass.

He's my favorite skater to watch in the entire NHL, his edges and ability to evade defenders might be the best in the NHL. Also elite top end speed too.
Having elite playmaking doesnt mean youre simply smart

Barzal turns over the puck at the highest rate in the NHL and nobody is close. Hes selfish and doesnt play with a brain when it comes to what may happen if he messes up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad