Around The League 2019-20 Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
MLS is also starting again on July 8th...
MLS is Back Tournament

I also thought the NBA did a better job with their format of finishing the season and playoffs than the NHL.

Noway is the nba better. The nhl did it the right way I believe. They give the bubble teams fighting for a playoff spot a chance and the top teams playing each other for seeding to stay loose is clever. Now the nba is playing 8 regular season games? Then the playoffs?

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Noway is the nba better. The nhl did it the right way I believe. They give the bubble teams fighting for a playoff spot a chance and the top teams playing each other for seeding to stay loose is clever. Now the nba is playing 8 regular season games? Then the playoffs?

I believe it's more fair than what the NHL has done. I copied the important parts over. I also like that they are holding the NBA draft lotto after the "regular season" is finished unlike the NHL. I don't follow the NBA but this format seems way more fair to teams already in playoff spots and ones that had a possibility to make the playoffs than the one the NHL rolled out...

2020 NBA Season Restart: Schedule, Participants, Playoff Odds, News On Basketball’s Return To Play

22 of 30 teams—the 16 current playoff teams and the six teams within six games of their conference’s No. 8 seed—return to action for a brief, eight-game finish to the regular season, plus a potential play-in tournament to determine the last seed in each conference.

There is a potential of a play-in tournament for the No. 8 seed in each conference as well, which would be triggered by the No. 9 team finishing within four games of the No. 8 seed. Those teams would match up in a series where the stronger record side would need just one win to secure their position in the 2020 NBA Playoffs, while the lower team would have to win two games in a row to usurp the spot.

Each of the 22 teams involved in the NBA’s abbreviated return will play eight seeding games to help finalize the 2020 NBA Playoff bracket. Each team is scheduled to play the opponents that it would have faced prior to the shutdown, although because eight franchises weren’t invited to Orlando, teams that had a matchup with one of the eliminated squads on the docket will instead move on to the next in line.

The lottery will involve the usual 14 teams that do not make the postseason, although it will be based on the standings from March 11, the final day of the 2019-2020 season prior to the shutdown. If a team was in the bottom 14 on that date but makes it into the postseason, it will not be eligible for the lottery, while teams that miss out on a playoff seed and lose more games in Orlando cannot improve their lottery odds. The lottery is scheduled to be held on August 25, with the draft itself slated for October 15.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Craig Custance asked a Scout, Coach, and Executive on who they thought would win each play in series.

All 3 picked the Canucks; the opposite of what I’d want but not a big deal if Van loses round 1.

The Coach and Scout both picked Arizona to win. Scout’s reason given were the Arizona works very hard and Nashville doesn’t as much, so in a preseason style matchup that matters more and that “something” just isn’t right in Nashville. The coach reasons that Rinne hasn’t been good and Arizona is detail oriented.

If something bad was going on for Nashville internally we better hope Hynes can turn that around. Hynes would be a guy I would bring in to fix locker room issues as I do think players respect and like him as a leader.

An Arizona win would be straight awful. There is a decent chance an Arizona miss nets a player in the good third talent tier or an unprotected first next season. A playoff Vancouver is looking at 16th overall at best and at that point we are already into a fairly flat talent portion of the draft; would be really bad.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I honestly don’t see any upsets in the play in. Unless you consider the rangers or panthers winning as upsets. I’m not sold on the panthers winning but I can see them winning. Rangers definitely winning against the canes I believe

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I honestly don’t see any upsets in the play in. Unless you consider the rangers or panthers winning as upsets. I’m not sold on the panthers winning but I can see them winning. Rangers definitely winning against the canes I believe

With the teams coming in cold, I think anything can happen.

Reactions: glenwo2

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I honestly don’t see any upsets in the play in. Unless you consider the rangers or panthers winning as upsets. I’m not sold on the panthers winning
902603EE-7CE5-4A8E-BE90-908035CB8DBD.jpeg

You better be sold on them. Typical NJD fans never wanna give a really strong Florida team credit. I’ve been saying to watch out for them for years. Them and the Rags will both win.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I still think just calling this season a wash made more sense but they needed to recoup their TV money.

Next season is going to start so late and they haven't factored in a second wave shutting everything back down.
I want hockey back so bad, but I’m also close to the point of saying f*** it and just coming back next season starting on time like it usually does with camp in September/regular season in October, with fans or no fans in attendance and just being done with it. Especially since there’s yet to be an official announcement on when this playoffs will start and when the camps will open up for it.

And is the play-in round gonna be a one game situation like the MLB’s play-in? Or is it a best of 5 series?

Reactions: mdj12784

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I want hockey back so bad, but I’m also close to the point of saying f*** it and just coming back next season starting on time like it usually does with camp in September/regular season in October, with fans or no fans in attendance and just being done with it. Especially since there’s yet to be an official announcement on when this playoffs will start and when the camps will open up for it.

And is the play-in round gonna be a one game situation like the MLB’s play-in? Or is it a best of 5 series?

Best of 5

Reactions: Bleedred

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
I still think just calling this season a wash made more sense but they needed to recoup their TV money.

Next season is going to start so late and they haven't factored in a second wave shutting everything back down.

Didn't Bettman tell us it was because the fans were clamoring for hockey to return? :sarcasm:

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
I was reading through some players career stat lines and it is shocking that Theo Fleury was only selected to 1 all star game. His stats were awesome in the dead puck era while surrounded by giants.

How the f*** could Guy Carbonneau be in the HoF but not this guy who was a PPG player almost his entire career?

Reactions: nugg
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad