Around The League 2019-20 Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
How is that a lot of Lou? 1 and 15 and 1 arguably wasn’t his signing but VBK’s, and they only wound up paying him like $18 million in real money before he skipped town anyway.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
How is that a lot of Lou? 1 and 15 and 1 arguably wasn’t his signing but VBK’s, and they only wound up paying him like $18 million in real money before he skipped town anyway.

I would argue the Kovalchuk contract on its own, ignoring the penalties for the first attempted contract, ended up working out.

I’d gladly pay a prime superstar for 3 seasons then get him to leave while only taking a tiny cap hit to avoid the bad years of the contract.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
With the way it ended I don't even really consider Kovalchuk a bad deal, it kind of worked out anyway. I forgot about the Volchenkov deal. Some horribad deals though for sure on that list.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Yeah Kovy isnt that Bad. And even tho Volchenkov was never the same with us, it wasnt too bad. That Clarky deal with the laffs was the worst thing ever tho.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
yeah that article was one of the dumbest things i've read in a while. here's how the list was calculated:

Based on the work I did last season on the monetary value of a win, I translated the salary each free agent was paid over the last decade and equated that figure to how many wins the player was expected to provide. Compare that to the value he actually did provide (based on Game Score Value Added, or GSVA and projected GSVA for seasons that haven’t been completed yet) and voila: an all-time list of bad deals.

any list of the worst FA signings that doesn't have clarkson at #1 is probably useless.

edit: for those that don't want to read, the major factor in determining the worst was the amount of wins the team had relative to the contract. for those that always rail against wins as a stat measured to use goalies, you shouldn't even wipe your ass with this list

Reactions: Darkauron

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
yeah that article was one of the dumbest things i've read in a while. here's how the list was calculated:

any list of the worst FA signings that doesn't have clarkson at #1 is probably useless.

edit: for those that don't want to read, the major factor in determining the worst was the amount of wins the team had relative to the contract. for those that always rail against wins as a stat measured to use goalies, you shouldn't even wipe your ass with this list

That's not at all how the list was calculated and you just pasted the relevant portion. The stat of 'goalie wins' has nothing at all to do with this - it's looking at 'wins' in terms of value added. Wins by this measure would look nothing at all like goalie wins even for goalies.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
That's not at all how the list was calculated and you just pasted the relevant portion. The stat of 'goalie wins' has nothing at all to do with this - it's looking at 'wins' in terms of value added. Wins by this measure would look nothing at all like goalie wins even for goalies.

i didn't understand most of what you just said, but the list was compiled based on the $ amount the FA signed for relative to the wins that were expected as a result of the signing...at least thats how i interpreted it. i only brought up goalies because judging them by wins has been a controversial subject in the past.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
You could almost literally do a top fifteen bad contracts of Devil FA's who moved on to other teams. Clarkson, Holik, Gomez, etc, hell even John Moore would probably show up on that list for the ridiculous term deal he got from Boston.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
i didn't understand most of what you just said, but the list was compiled based on the $ amount the FA signed for relative to the wins that were expected as a result of the signing...at least thats how i interpreted it. i only brought up goalies because judging them by wins has been a controversial subject in the past.

Yes, but 'personal wins', not team wins. Let's imagine that this season the Devils won 15 games over what a team composed entirely of minor league players would win. Dom's numbers are trying to break down, who is responsible for those wins, and in what proportion - so let's say Blackwood is responsible for 4.2, Severson 1.6, Subban 1.3, and so on. It's nothing like goalie wins at all, which are just accounting for which team won the game and giving the goalie a win based on who won, and it has nothing to do with how the team was expected to do. It's just looking at the player's salary and saying 'based on this salary, the player should provide X wins over the course of the contract' and then looking at the 'actual' number of wins through a statistical breakdown. It's not exact, obviously.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I still remember how much Devils fans were getting flamed by Leafs fans on here when the Clarkson signing happened for suggesting that it wouldn't work out.

#neverforget

toronto-sun-back-page.jpg

that’s one of my favorite nhl pictures, right up there with this beaut-

https%3A%2F%2Fbluelinestation.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fgetty-images%2F2016%2F04%2F97323831.jpeg

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Yes, but 'personal wins', not team wins. Let's imagine that this season the Devils won 15 games over what a team composed entirely of minor league players would win. Dom's numbers are trying to break down, who is responsible for those wins, and in what proportion - so let's say Blackwood is responsible for 4.2, Severson 1.6, Subban 1.3, and so on. It's nothing like goalie wins at all, which are just accounting for which team won the game and giving the goalie a win based on who won, and it has nothing to do with how the team was expected to do. It's just looking at the player's salary and saying 'based on this salary, the player should provide X wins over the course of the contract' and then looking at the 'actual' number of wins through a statistical breakdown. It's not exact, obviously.

ahh ok thanks. now i’m on the trolley

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
#neverforget

https%3A%2F%2Fbluelinestation.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fgetty-images%2F2016%2F04%2F97323831.jpeg

I have this associated memory of Gomez signing with the Rangers with Michael Bay's Transformers. I had seen it that week with a buddy who absolutely loved it and we argued about it, and he eventually quipped "You're just butthurt about Gomez." I still enjoy bringing that up to this day when I see him. But any time I see Transformers on TV, I can't help but picture Gomez as a Ranger and in a way that contract was an abomination like the movie.

Although I do admit that I have better memories of Superman (2006) not because the movie was any good, but when I walked out of the theater I learned that Patrik Elias had re-signed.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I have this associated memory of Gomez signing with the Rangers with Michael Bay's Transformers. I had seen it that week with a buddy who absolutely loved it and we argued about it, and he eventually quipped "You're just butthurt about Gomez." I still enjoy bringing that up to this day when I see him. But any time I see Transformers on TV, I can't help but picture Gomez as a Ranger and in a way that contract was an abomination like the movie.

Although I do admit that I have better memories of Superman (2006) not because the movie was any good, but when I walked out of the theater I learned that Patrik Elias had re-signed.

I dunno why, but that story felt very @Bleedred - ish to me.

Reactions: Bleedred

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Too be fair i don't think anyone thought it would work out as poorly as it did.

Inasmuch as nobody knew he'd be out of the league within three years due to injury yeah but ignoring that, he was bad enough in his two healthy seasons. It was one of the rare bad FA contracts that was correctly first-guessed.

Reactions: Blender
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad