Around The League 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Actually, Torts was just extended again recently.

I believe it was through the 20-21 season. It happened maybe a month ago, or right before camp? Maybe even a week or so into camp, but I only remember this because I got the notification text sent to my phone. I remember checking it at lunch time at work.

Blue Jackets, John Tortorella Agree To A Two-Year Contract Extension

It was indeed 2 more years after this. That article is from September 12th, so it was basically on the eve of training camp. Not that it means he can't be fired. AV was fired by the Rangers and was extended 2 years over a year before his last deal was set to expire. Year one of that deal was supposed to be this year. So he was fired before he even got to coach a game on his new deal. Same thing happened with Dan Bylsma in Pittsburgh a few years back. Shero extended him before the 13-14 season, as his contract was to expire after 13-14 and the new contract began in 14-15. He was fired right after the 13-14 season, before even getting to coach a game on that deal with the Penguins.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
I'm torn on Columbus. On the one hand I wouldn't mind seeing them have a terrible year, but on the other hand it would be kind of satisfying to see them hang on to Panarin and Bobrovsky, lose in the first round and then have one or both of them walk as free agents.
I think Columbus is too good of a team to be down in the standings for long. I don't know about much further than this year, but this year I'd be willing to bet they're a playoff team.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
lol it's so stupid. he's a very good D-man. dumb to do, but he's not even close to marchand or wilson. HFB is stupid

I don’t pay attention to the masses on HFB main boards but there is no reason to separate the 3 players in this case. It was clearly a player trying to hurt a 19 year old and send a message to a good young player.

Congrats, you concussed a teenager with an illegal play.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
That was a dirtbag move by Matheson. Too many NHL players want to act like Neanderthals and purposely injure other players instead of respecting each other and just playing the game. There’s no reason for an 18 year old top talented player to get injured like that. Hockey players talk a good game about respect and honor but then they pull crap like that. In “real life” it’s not legal to purposely hurt people and you get treated like the scumbag ou are if you do. That shit pisses me off. Also hockey is the only sport where star players routinely get taken out of the game because goons injure them. It’s absurd that Matheson who probably has half as much talent as Petersson gets to skate again after two games while the more talented player suffers physically and perhaps long term in terms of health and career. Second rate violent thuggery is all that is, not sure how hockey is supposed to be taken seriously with that kind of garbage.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
i'm not a fan of this "piling on matheson because he's a 'scrub player' obviously" mentality (since it's wrong)

i do agree its a dirty "hit", though i wonder... if pettersson didn't get concussed/injured, would anyone have looked at the hit?

Reactions: Darkauron

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
TSN has an ongoing series about the NHL and marijuana usage. Their trailer for the most recent segment features Jeff Friesen and I found this article which Friesen wrote last month: Op Ed: How Cannabis Transformed the Life of a Stanley Cup Winner

Good for Jeff Friesen.

I also always thought someone (RG?) could do an awesome photoshop with him from his ECF goal against OTT and a big spleef.

He always had that little bit of herp/derp look going on...

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I don’t pay attention to the masses on HFB main boards but there is no reason to separate the 3 players in this case. It was clearly a player trying to hurt a 19 year old and send a message to a good young player.

Congrats, you concussed a teenager with an illegal play.

Last season the refs let a fair amount go on Nico. I recall seeing some hits that should have been called boarding. It’s like the refs believe in rookie hazing and some of that bleeds over to the players. Hopefully EP has only mild symptoms and returns shortly

Reactions: Ripshot 43

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
i'm not a fan of this "piling on matheson because he's a 'scrub player' obviously" mentality (since it's wrong)

i do agree its a dirty "hit", though i wonder... if pettersson didn't get concussed/injured, would anyone have looked at the hit?

if it wasn’t pettersson nobody would’ve looked at the hit. but IIRC matheson did what he did after pettersson slew footed him. if you mess with the bull, ...

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
if it wasn’t pettersson nobody would’ve looked at the hit. but IIRC matheson did what he did after pettersson slew footed him. if you mess with the bull, ...
see this bit i hadn't heard about. all i heard was "BLAH BLAH MATHESON IS SUCH A CHILD, BEATING UP ON A KID FOR DANGLING HIM, WHEN HE HAS ONLY HALF THE SKILL"

Reactions: Darkauron

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Dude that’s not a slewfoot. Give me a break. Matheson was just acting like a thug against a potential star player, there’s no excuse and it’s the same **** that keeps plaguing this second rate league.

i’m just providing context for what happened. if you think the retaliation was overboard, then ok. and if a star player wasn’t involved, nobody would’ve given a shit. it’s because he’s a star that this got as much attention as it did (i don’t even think a penalty was called on the play) and as a result, the guy was suspended. what are you pissed about?

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
i’m just providing context for what happened. if you think the retaliation was overboard, then ok. and if a star player wasn’t involved, nobody would’ve given a ****. it’s because he’s a star that this got as much attention as it did (i don’t even think a penalty was called on the play) and as a result, the guy was suspended. what are you pissed about?
What was he “retaliating” against? It wasn’t an intentional slewfoot.

I’m pissed that it continues to happen. I want to watch the best players in the world actually playing, instead of them wobbling off the ice with injuries that will keep them out of multiple games and possibly end their careers at the hands of some marginally talented meathead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad