Around The League 2018-19 II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
You never want a rival to get better and their prospect pool is stacked. They have Hart who looks like a solid option between the pipes and they also have several promising blueliners.

Their main issue is that there's too big of a gap between their current stars and their bluechip prospects. With the pick they'll get this year and if they decide to move players like Voracek or Giroux for up and coming players... they can be in real good shape for the future.
Agree they can be in real good shape in the future. That is a great job for a new GM. They have what sharp GM's want - young players with upside that will be under team control for a number of years.

The issue they have IMO is that I am not sure they have top end young talent. It may be that they have a good number of good young players (Provy, Sanheim, Patrick, Konecny, Forst, Farabee) but it is uncertain if any of them will ultimately be blue chip.

The Flyers and the Avs are two of the teams that could really be building something if they make the right moves in the next few years.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Sure but then you aren’t trading Giroux and Vorachek. If anything they’ll trade one or two of their young players for some more vets to “win now”. I’m confused by their approach. Part of me thinks they do intend to continue the rebuild but ownership demanded a scapegoat and Holmy decided it was him or Hextall.

I'm with Hextall and the way he wanted to go. That's great news for us, meaning that Hextall was drafting real well over the past several years and was building something solid IMO.

He was probably told to hurry up the process and both sides weren't on the same page and that's the main reason why they fired the Gm before the coach.

Reactions: My3Sons

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Avs are way ahead of the Flyers

the problem is they probably can't keep their core intact with all the new contracts they have to hand out soon

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

the problem is they probably can't keep their core intact with all the new contracts they have to hand out soon

I guess WPG or TB are the current model soon to be replaced by TOR? A team appears to handle three or maybe four big deals but has to really pinch pennies around that. Avs can probably extend Rantanen and Landeskog. Who else needs a big contract there?

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016

The emergence of Rantanen really fast forwarded things for the Avs since they've been a bottom of the standings team for quite a while now. When you still have Jost and Makar on the backburner, that's some solid depth right there.

The Duchene trade is going to pay off BIG TIME for the Avs because it puts them in a prime spot to make big moves in order for them to compete real fast. Like you said, they'll have to pay Rantanen this summer and Varlamov as well.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I guess WPG or TB are the current model soon to be replaced by TOR? A team appears to handle three or maybe four big deals but has to really pinch pennies around that. Avs can probably extend Rantanen and Landeskog. Who else needs a big contract there?

Varlamov is UFA this summer and then Barrie the following summer

I dont know how anyone can look at Provorov and think hes only a ‘good’ player

I watch the Flyers a decent amount since I am in the market. He has regressed this year.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
The sophomore slump doesn't exist. This is Provorov's third season.
Ah, so it is

I still think a slump at his age, on a very bad team whos had coaching changes, is not that concerning ‘yet’

If he doesnt step back into form next year than I will agree hes just a good player

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
DON'T! WANT! ANY!

Gackle has really been sounding like someone eating paint chips lately.

First of all, Howard would be too expensive and he's also having a year that's better than what he is. He was in the .920's% for quite some time and is now falling down. That should be expected for how poor he's been for the last 6 years. The one year he was good in that stretch, he only played 26 games. He's been regressing back to the mean of what he is. A below average/bad starting goalie in the NHL.

Elliott has been injured for almost a couple months.

Neuvirth is ****in AIDS. He'd be injured in the first game he plays there and he's been almost as bad as what Cory's been when he's played this year. He's finished and is made of glass. He might get injured boarding the plane to San Jose.

Kinkaid is really not an upgrade on either of their goalies. Dell is not worse than Kinkaid. They're probably a wash.

Mrazek? Come on dude, don't make the same mistake Philly made last year. That guy is a ****in joke.

And Gackle suggesting some of this TRASH is also a ****in joke.
I just want to make sure you knew I was sarcastic when I said you'd love it :)

I thought Dell was a good goalie and the future of the team. I'm surprised he's doing so poorly.

ChicksDigTheTrap

Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country

ChicksDigTheTrap

Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
This really brings up a larger issue with respect to what RFA's are getting paid. It was just a few years ago that a players first RFA contract was typically not that large that it would cause a problem with the cap.

Barrie is signed for $5.5 next year. E Johnson is $6 for 4 more. One of them may have to be traded. Their top 2 prospects are RHD.

My3Sons

Sponsor
This really brings up a larger issue with respect to what RFA's are getting paid. It was just a few years ago that a players first RFA contract was typically not that large that it would cause a problem with the cap.

Barrie is signed for $5.5 next year. E Johnson is $6 for 4 more. One of them may have to be traded. Their top 2 prospects are RHD.

Is Johnson worth trading for at that hit and term?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Is Johnson worth trading for at that hit and term?
Hell no.

He'd be like having an Adam Larsson, who is already in his 30's at $6 million per. I think he's even signed longer than Larsson's current contract.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
So they give him away then or are they stuck with him like Lucic or Schneider?
I mean, I don't think he's as bad as those contracts. I just wouldn't want him here on his current deal.

Furthermore, Lucic and Schneider are both already bad players on bad contracts. Johnson is not a bad defenseman.

My3Sons

Sponsor
I mean, I don't think he's as bad as those contracts. I just wouldn't want him here on his current deal.

Furthermore, Lucic and Schneider are both already bad players on bad contracts. Johnson is not a bad defenseman.

I’m not following the Avs so thanks for the context. Much appreciated. I guess they move a couple of support pieces around and try to get Makar and whoever they get with the OTT pick to provide legit support on their ELC and go from there. Somehow I see the current landscape being different after the next CBA.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I’m not following the Avs so thanks for the context. Much appreciated. I guess they move a couple of support pieces around and try to get Makar and whoever they get with the OTT pick to provide legit support on their ELC and go from there. Somehow I see the current landscape being different after the next CBA.
Yeah, I don't think his contract is really bad that bad, but it just wouldn't be wise for us to trade for him with that much term and dollars left. I don't think he really helps all that much.

He's kind of like Adam Larsson to me, only he's a bit older, he probably skates a bit better and his salary is higher. He's probably a bit better at producing offense too. He certainly has put up a ton more goals than Larsson, although 2 of his last 3 years he's scoring at a Larsson rate in goals.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Yeah, I don't think his contract is really bad that bad, but it just wouldn't be wise for us to trade for him with that much term and dollars left. I don't think he really helps all that much.

He's kind of like Adam Larsson to me, only he's a bit older, he probably skates a bit better and his salary is higher. He's probably a bit better at producing offense too. He certainly has put up a ton more goals than Larsson, although 2 of his last 3 years he's scoring at a Larsson rate in goals.

NJ has to extend Nico and Hall and even Bratt if they can this offseason and then see how the cap looks and who might fit the team needs at that point.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
NJ has to extend Nico and Hall and even Bratt if they can this offseason and then see how the cap looks and who might fit the team needs at that point.

the Devils can likely extend Hall/Nico using solely Johansson, Boyle, and Lovejoy's expiring money. The cap is not going to be an issue whatsoever. They can do all that and sign Karlsson to a max contract and still have plenty of room.

bodda

Feb 26, 2012
Foppaland
oh yeah viasat, i haven't heard that name in ages

when i used to get streams online, viasat would host. wonder if there are viasat feeds of our games, i'd love to know what dano REALLY thinks

I watch the games on viasat so I don't get commercials but stay with Dano and Steve. They are mostly getting ready for the replays they're gonna show. "Slow down there, stop there, I'll say this" and so on. Sometimes Dano sings along if it's a song he likes in the arena. Trust me, he's a horrible singer :laugh:

When I get the other teams feed they have been blasting our defense quite a bit. And man, in the games Schneider has been in.. "I can't believe how bad Schneider looks" "he's fallen off a cliff" "Schneider is just floating around out there."

I love this glitch when you get to listen in when they think no one is listening. Hope they don't do something about it now that a little scandal has come up because of it.

Reactions: OmNomNom and Oneiro
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad