Around The League 2018-19 II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
https://www.tsn.ca/bettman-seattle-to-host-draft-all-star-game-1.1238871

Bettman states that Seattle will host the All-Star game within its first seven seasons, plus host a draft during that span. The latter is relevant to my interests.

They'll also get a sweetheart expansion draft, complete with bribery/extortion draft picks that will quickly jump Seattle over the bottom 5 or 6 NHL teams.

That is complete horsecrap.

While I agree they should not set-up expansion teams for failure, they shouldn't be immediately good enough to be playoffs teams within a season either. Vegas got a number of really solid players in addition to a thermonuclear arsenal of NHL draft picks with which it used to get even more really solid players.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
To be fair, the Florida Panthers were pretty much responsible for Vegas' success. I don't think anybody will be that stupid this time around. Although it is the NHL, so it's always possible.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
To be fair, the Florida Panthers were pretty much responsible for Vegas' success. I don't think anybody will be that stupid this time around. Although it is the NHL, so it's always possible.

That and no one saw William Karlsson coming out like that. CBJ must be kicking themselves, too.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
Minnesota gave Haula and Tuch and a 3rd round pick. Columbus gave Karlsson, a first round pick and a second round pick for David Clarkson. Florida gave also their 4th round pick with Smith and Marchessault.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Vegas did the same thing we did with Kyle Palmieri. They identified a bunch of guys who had great underlying numbers but low usage, and went after them. Not all worked out, but the ones who did have been excellent for them.

Cage Helmet

Thank you Marty!
May 27, 2012
Yo, Dale Tallon is a jokester GM working for a jokester franchise. It’s no wonder he messed up the expansion draft. I’m trying to think of a worse GM currently employed after Chiarelli. I’m struggling. Dorion and Donny Wadds don’t count. They’re marionettes dangling from their owner’s armpits. Tallon never gets enough heat on HF. If he worked for a Canadian NHL team he would get more press for being a nuisance.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Hey, what ever happened with that Bobrovsky thing? Hoping for some nice drama to unfold around that.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

I guess he's back. Probably missed a meeting or broke curfew or something that's a really non-issue. Although, it was kind of weird that apparently whatever happened, he was told before boarding the plane after the game in Tampa that he wouldn't be dressed for last night's game. It was bizarre.

Who would really have interest in Bob at the deadline? It would have to be a team that's starter is injured. Unless someone trades for him real cheap and knows he's not coming back to their team next year. Think Ben Bishop that year with the Kings or like when we traded for John Vanbiesbrouck. Someone to give their starter a rest down the stretch and a team that knows he won't be back. For what it's worth, his playoff play is nothing really worth trading for as a rental. If a team wants to trade for him to eventually lock him up, that would be another thing, but trading for him as a rental for the playoffs would be questionable.

I still think the Flyers will wind up getting him or it will be some team that nobody expects him to sign with. Colorado maybe? Varlamov is a UFA and Grubauer is having a rough year that would probably make them hesitant to go into next year with him as the best goalie on their roster.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I guess he's back. Probably missed a meeting or broke curfew or something that's a really non-issue. Although, it was kind of weird that apparently whatever happened, he was told before boarding the plane after the game in Tampa that he wouldn't be dressed for last night's game. It was bizarre.

Who would really have interest in Bob at the deadline? It would have to be a team that's starter is injured. Unless someone trades for him real cheap and knows he's not coming back to their team next year. Think Ben Bishop that year with the Kings or like when we traded for John Vanbiesbrouck. Someone to give their starter a rest down the stretch and a team that knows he won't be back. For what it's worth, his playoff play is nothing really worth trading for as a rental. If a team wants to trade for him to eventually lock him up, that would be another thing, but trading for him as a rental for the playoffs would be questionable.

I still think the Flyers will wind up getting him or it will be some team that nobody expects him to sign with. Colorado maybe? Varlamov is a UFA and Grubauer is having a rough year that would probably make them hesitant to go into next year with him as the best goalie on their roster.

he flipped out after he was pulled against tampa and management pulled him aside on the tarmac before their flight out

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Koekkoek is a nice buy low addition for the Hawks. I think he can be a good 4-5 guy if given the opportunity, maybe better.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
he flipped out after he was pulled against tampa and management pulled him aside on the tarmac before their flight out
Must have been pretty bad then. Sounds like he made an ''Outburts'' in the room.

Holik and Stevens used to have outbursts after almost every game that we sucked. :laugh:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Madden was hysterical in that interview
I get the feeling that Madden (and likely other guys) might have been annoyed with Holik in 01-02, because he basically had already went on record and punched his ticket out of town the offseason prior. And was overly vocal for what had then become a lame duck player. He said as early as July of August of 2001 (whenever that arbitration hearing was) that he was unhappy with what he received, that the arbitrators just wanna side with the teams for cheap labor and that next summer he was already excited to see what his value was on the open market. He reiterated this at least two or three more times during season, only didn't mention the arbitrators ruling, but just that he'd probably still test free agency. He was very open about leaving and not sticking around, even though he never completely ruled out staying and re-signing.

And I do respect him for that a bit. At least he didn't sugarcoat things or tell some fans ''Don't worry! I'll be back!'' outside the building.

Reactions: sabremike

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I get the feeling that Madden (and likely other guys) might have been annoyed with Holik in 01-02, because he basically had already went on record and punched his ticket out of town the offseason prior. And was overly vocal for what had then become a lame duck player. He said as early as July of August of 2001 (whenever that arbitration hearing was) that he was unhappy with what he received, that the arbitrators just wanna side with the teams for cheap labor and that next summer he was already excited to see what his value was on the open market. He reiterated this at least two or three more times during season, only didn't mention the arbitrators ruling, but just that he'd probably still test free agency. He was very open about leaving and not sticking around, even though he never completely ruled out staying and re-signing.

And I do respect him for that a bit. At least he didn't sugarcoat things or tell some fans ''Don't worry! I'll be back!'' outside the building.
Honestly, I'm not sure teammates would be annoyed with him purely for that. I mean, it helps the union and other players to go for a higher salary. I could only see a problem if he had such a negative attitude all season that it pissed everyone off.

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
They'll also get a sweetheart expansion draft, complete with bribery/extortion draft picks that will quickly jump Seattle over the bottom 5 or 6 NHL teams.

That is complete horsecrap.

While I agree they should not set-up expansion teams for failure, they shouldn't be immediately good enough to be playoffs teams within a season either. Vegas got a number of really solid players in addition to a thermonuclear arsenal of NHL draft picks with which it used to get even more really solid players.
Not to derail the thread. I wonder what happens when Vegas starts sucking...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad