Around Hockey XXII (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
The league needs to figure out a way for teams to stop using LTIR to circumvent the cap. I get its purpose, but it's clearly being exploited here.

This. There needs to be a rule like a team can only use the cap relief from LTIR for someone who has played their most recently played game for the team. I am ok with a team who is rebuilding to take on an LTIR contract to make the cap floor or use their cap space to acquire assets. So I don’t think a full ban on trading someone on LTIR is the answer.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
This. There needs to be a rule like a team can only use the cap relief from LTIR for someone who has played their most recently played game for the team. I am ok with a team who is rebuilding to take on an LTIR contract to make the cap floor or use their cap space to acquire assets. So I don’t think a full ban on trading someone on LTIR is the answer.
I doubt the players association would agree to it. If you limit it you are holding player salaries down that get impacted. I just don’t see the PA agreeing to anything like that and of course the owners like the loophole to bail themselves out.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I doubt the players association would agree to it. If you limit it you are holding player salaries down that get impacted. I just don’t see the PA agreeing to anything like that and of course the owners like the loophole to bail themselves out.

Non COVID-19 times, I completely agree. With COVID-19, I could see a scenario where players realize LTIR games could hurt most of them depending on how escrow rules are written, and most owners not wanting to help the Torontos and the Tampas (and probably the LA Kings in a few years if their prospects all develop) build such top heavy teams.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Didn't think Clod Lemiuex would be an agent, at least not a very good one, he probably still gets triggered at the word "turtle", GMs should use that as a negotiating tactic.
Call him all the names you want, he can just flash his hand with 4 Stanley Cup rings on it in your face.

Reactions: Cowumbus

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

Neither is Jack Roslovic.

Winnipeg is interesting since he just seems to be the odd man out for top 6 time. His contract won't be a back breaker. It's not like he is hunting for PLD money. The jets are probably trying to penny pinch because they still need a d-man and they don't have much money to spend. Even if he ends up being a 3rd line center his contract should be in line with a 3rd line center at the moment. He's not like Wennberg who was way overpaid as a 3rd line center.

Either way, if he is staying in Columbus, it seems he's on his way out of Winnipeg. He'd have to quarantine once he got back to Canada after he did re-sign so he's missing all of training camp at this point unless he signs in the next couple of days.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Winnipeg is interesting since he just seems to be the odd man out for top 6 time. His contract won't be a back breaker. It's not like he is hunting for PLD money. The jets are probably trying to penny pinch because they still need a d-man and they don't have much money to spend. Even if he ends up being a 3rd line center his contract should be in line with a 3rd line center at the moment. He's not like Wennberg who was way overpaid as a 3rd line center.

Either way, if he is staying in Columbus, it seems he's on his way out of Winnipeg. He'd have to quarantine once he got back to Canada after he did re-sign so he's missing all of training camp at this point unless he signs in the next couple of days.

Roslovic is pretty marginal even as a 3C. He also played about half the year on the 2nd line with great linemates, didn't score much. He's responsible but not very strong, so he's sort of a tweener. Doesn't have enough scoring ability to play in the top six, and not enough grit for the bottom six. I wouldn't pay him more than $1.2m.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
And yet he'll be remembered as a gutless puke, surely not the first to have his major f*** ups overshadow his career accomplishments, and won't be the last.
As long as you understand McCarty sucker punched him before he "turtled".

Tom Wilson lays dirtier hits than the one Lemieux put on Draper that the Red Wings whined about for a year. It sucks he got hurt but the hit wasn't that bad, just far enough away from the boards to do more damage than it should have. McCarty was a bigger goon than Lemieux with almost as many career penalty minutes in half the amount of games with half the amount of talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad