Around Hockey XXII (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
With the NHL restarting And the teams in their respective hubs and ready to start, here’s a fresh Around Hockey thread for discussion of games and topics not CBJ-specific.

There will of course be some general playoff talk in the series thread, but when possible, keep the non-Jackets stuff in here please and thank you.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
My picks:

MIN over VAN in 4 -- MIN is a much better team if they get decent goaltending. Go with Kahkonen.
NSH over ARI in 5 -- Here's betting Duchene and Johansen wake up.
EDM over CHI in 5 -- Chicago could cause problems for Edmonton.
WPG over CGY in 4 -- Winnipeg way too fast, goaltending too good.

CBJ over TOR? in 5 -- I prefer to sit on the fence, but I think the Jackets cycle advantage is huge here.
FLA over NYI in 5 -- Almost a coin flip but I think Florida "wakes up" in a sense here.
NYR over CAR in 5 -- Carolina is really good but I'm betting Shesterkin dominates.
PIT over MTL in 4 -- Not close at any position.

pscbj80

Aug 1, 2020
That Canes-Rags game sure had a lot of physicality. Kind of shocked with Edmonton and that first period too. I am happy hockey is back. Hopefully everyone stays safe and healthy!

DougKnowsBest

Feb 6, 2004
Newark, Ohio
Bob looked real shaky at the start of his game then came around. Panarin disappeared for long sections of his game. Saad looked like saad in his game. I’m not sure if jack johnson is playing tonight for the pens. Ben Gelber has hijacked my screen

I really enjoyed August madness today.

Last edited:
Reactions: thebus88

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I'm watching the Pens/Canadiens game and John Forslund is calling the game. I looked it up and he still hasn't signed an extension with the Canes so who knows what's going to happen with him. With Rimer still in the fold, I doubt the Blue Jackets would be in play to get my favorite broadcaster.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Bob tried his hardest to win that one for Florida. Second goal was bad though, but Florida was disinterested in playing until the third.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
What is everyone's opinion on the Scheifele hit last night?

IMO it was purely incidental contact but everyone wants to make it controversial because it was Tkachuk. Laine hurt his wrist and people are probably trying to build a conspiracy theory that he had something to do with that too.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

IMO it was purely incidental contact but everyone wants to make it controversial because it was Tkachuk. Laine hurt his wrist and people are probably trying to build a conspiracy theory that he had something to do with that too.

I agree with you.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

I will admit to even wanting it to be Tkachuk’s fault a little, because I think he’s a POS. But nope it was the stopping and turning and maybe a little bit the boards.

Reactions: thebus88 and Fro

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I agree with you.

I will admit to even wanting it to be Tkachuk’s fault a little, because I think he’s a POS. But nope it was the stopping and turning and maybe a little bit the boards.

I'm frankly a little shocked Paul Maurice made the accusation in the post game that it was intentional. I'm sure he's trying to motivate his team with 2 key players out but are they going to go out head hunting in game 2 or are they going to play hockey?

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Quite frankly, it looks like Tkachuk WAS trying to get that small shove in to throw him off balance into the boards and Scheifele just misjudged his speed and did the job/most of the damage to himself on that cut back. Feel for the guy.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I'm frankly a little shocked Paul Maurice made the accusation in the post game that it was intentional. I'm sure he's trying to motivate his team with 2 key players out but are they going to go out head hunting in game 2 or are they going to play hockey?

To be clear, Tkachuk knows the speed and angle that Scheifele is going into the boards, and he can be pretty sure that he’s dumping it in. He knows what even the smallest shove to his back can throw him off balance and into the boards.

These guys know what they’re doing, like PMB did.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
To be clear, Tkachuk knows the speed and angle that Scheifele is going into the boards, and he can be pretty sure that he’s dumping it in. He knows what even the smallest shove to his back can throw him off balance and into the boards.

These guys know what they’re doing, like PMB did.

I don’t know that any of that means he tried to cut him with a skate on purpose. A clean check is a clean check and sometimes inadvertent contact happens.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I don’t know that any of that means he tried to cut him with a skate on purpose. A clean check is a clean check and sometimes inadvertent contact happens.

Im kinda lost, are u referencing the Matt Cooke/Karlsson Achilles thing?

What I’m talking about is guys (intentionally) throwing guys off balance from “innocent/soft shoves” when they are in vulnerable positions near the boards or skating at bad angles into the boards.

To me it looked like that’s what Tkachuk’s intent was but Scheifele did the work for him. These guys know that very little contact can throw a guy off balance.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Idk what Maurice said or what Scheifele’s actual injury is, to be clear also.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Idk what Maurice said or what Scheifele’s actual injury is, to be clear also.
The speculation is the Tkachuk’s skate blade cut into his leg. There was no blood. However Maurice blasted Tkachuk in postgame claiming he intentionally tried to take him out.

The check itself was fine. When I saw it happen I initially thought Scheifele’s leg buckled or went into the boards awkwardly. It never looked malicious in my opinion.

Speedy Sanderson

Jan 29, 2012
Not sure if anyone was listening to Boomer & Hahn on NHL Network radio this morning, but they were not shy about criticizing Duchene and Joey for lazy and undisciplined play yesterday. Of note as both could be CBJ centers if things went a different way.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Not sure if anyone was listening to Boomer & Hahn on NHL Network radio this morning, but they were not shy about criticizing Duchene and Joey for lazy and undisciplined play yesterday. Of note as both could be CBJ centers if things went a different way.

Letting them go felt like an easy decision to me. Jarmo has prioritized building around the right players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia