Around Hockey XXII (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
It was wreckless but you need to be aware of your surroundings. Unfortunate incident but not malicious or intentional.

He didn’t take any strides into him. He just happened to be skating in at a high rate of speed from the other end of the ice.

Accidental high speed collision that happened from playing hard. As I said he’ll get suspended but I doubt it is a heavy as people want due to circumstances.
I'm not sure the check itself was accidental, but I also don't believe there was malice or intent to injure. The guy wasn't thinking about how much impact he'd have and/or what his options actually were to actually prevent a goal. He stupided, seriously injured someone, and there should be significant consequences for that.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I'm not sure the check itself was accidental, but I also don't believe there was malice or intent to injure. The guy wasn't thinking about how much impact he'd have and/or what his options actually were to actually prevent a goal. He stupided, seriously injured someone, and there should be significant consequences for that.

Agree with this sentiment. That said, I have zero idea what sort of suspension he'll get. If I had to guess I'd say 2-3 games.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Since it’s round 2 and Scheifele is an important player, I’ll say he gets 2 games max. Maybe only 1.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Maybe watch a video. He was skating hard hoping to prevent a goal in the playoffs. He wasn’t head hunting. Evans was completely unaware of his surroundings and an unfortunate bad hit occurred due to unfortunate timing.

LMAO no, he wasn't. He was frustrated in the 3rd period, and saw an opportunity to injure an opponent and took it. If he was trying to prevent a goal, he got there in time to make a play on the puck. Instead, he pulled his stick back so he could get more force with his shoulder into the head of Evans.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Maybe watch a video. He was skating hard hoping to prevent a goal in the playoffs. He wasn’t head hunting. Evans was completely unaware of his surroundings and an unfortunate bad hit occurred due to unfortunate timing.

Re-watched the video several times. He steamrolled him what looked to me to be after the shot and gave an added bit of oomph with his shoulder. I guess you and I have different interpretations of what charging and head hunting is.

Official NHL Charging Rule Text (Rule 607)

“Charging is the action where a player takes more than two strides or travels an excessive distance to accelerate through a body check for the purpose of punishing the opponent. This includes skating or leaving one’s feet (jumping) into the opponent to deliver a check, accelerating through a check for the purpose of punishing the opponent, or skating a great distance for the purpose of delivering a check with excessive force.”

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
LMAO no, he wasn't. He was frustrated in the 3rd period, and saw an opportunity to injure an opponent and took it. If he was trying to prevent a goal, he got there in time to make a play on the puck. Instead, he pulled his stick back so he could get more force with his shoulder into the head of Evans.
K

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Re-watched the video several times. He steamrolled him what looked to me to be after the shot and gave an added bit of oomph with his shoulder. I guess you and I have different interpretations of what charging and head hunting is.

Official NHL Charging Rule Text (Rule 607)

“Charging is the action where a player takes more than two strides or travels an excessive distance to accelerate through a body check for the purpose of punishing the opponent. This includes skating or leaving one’s feet (jumping) into the opponent to deliver a check, accelerating through a check for the purpose of punishing the opponent, or skating a great distance for the purpose of delivering a check with excessive force.”

You are correct. It was a Charge. Was there intent to injure by headhunting? Absolutely not. He did not jump into contact and the principal point of contact was not the head.

Not all charges are suspendable offenses. I don't think he gets more than 1, 2 games max and ONLY because it looks like a bad injury.

then when Schiefele comes back into the series, some Montreal people are going to have to show how big their d*cks are and try to fight him instead of just moving on with the series.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
100%

Anyone who played knows exactly what Scheifele was up to. He was out to rock Evans' world. He was pissed that his team had lost and probably-more important to him-that he was held without a point. The goal was a foregone conclusion unless he dove for the puck. He wanted to hurt Evans.

It was a disgusting cheap shot with intent to injure-and I have zero doubt about that. I have never seen the much maligned Tom Wilson do anything near this bad. This was Matt Cooke/Marc Savard level thuggery.

I hope Scheifele is taken care of by Montreal players for the rest of his career. He should never be on the ice against them when he's not petrified out of his mind. If he's not suspended for the remainder of the series-which I'm sort of hoping that he isn't-he needs some very harsh payback from the Habs that never stops.

Last edited:

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
You are correct. It was a Charge. Was there intent to injure by headhunting? Absolutely not. He did not jump into contact and the principal point of contact was not the head.

Not all charges are suspendable offenses. I don't think he gets more than 1, 2 games max and ONLY because it looks like a bad injury.

then when Schiefele comes back into the series, some Montreal people are going to have to show how big their d*cks are and try to fight him instead of just moving on with the series.

if he comes back this series, I’d stay away from Weber if I were him.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
:laugh::laugh:

Weber could rip Soy Boy in two with his good arm tied behind his back.

where’s a gif of the WWE move on Zetterberg when you need it

81bbuQ6b69IGDsBPAhNNYZg3bbsnJwA3qAJUhBePuSbJNTKlBhxYtnistgsBIR3Ua5F-CC_dIndHq5QDDAwnqd44KIJ7tHb2bQvb

Reactions: CPTN71

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
where’s a gif of the WWE move on Zetterberg when you need it

81bbuQ6b69IGDsBPAhNNYZg3bbsnJwA3qAJUhBePuSbJNTKlBhxYtnistgsBIR3Ua5F-CC_dIndHq5QDDAwnqd44KIJ7tHb2bQvb

I'm a Scheifele fan, have liked him for years.. that was a bad charge, done after getting unexpectedly beaten in the 1st game of a series. I don't think #55 runs from Weber..he will stand it there and give it a go. Probably gets his ass beat, and deservedly so. I think at least 1 game suspension maybe 2

very sportsmanlike reaction of Nik Ehlers - rushing to make sure Evans was sheltered on the ice

Reactions: cslebn

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

There was intent to injure overall. At that speed, with someone in Evans position, you're going to seriously hurt them whether the head is the first point of contact or not. The whiplash alone will make a concussion. You don't need to get hit in the head by a car to get a concussion in a car crash.

Accidental high speed collision that happened from playing hard.

Not at all. That was not an accident. Scheifele had no purpose other than smoking Evans, otherwise he would have tried to stop the goal.

Reactions: Byrral and thebus88

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
There was intent to injure overall. At that speed, with someone in Evans position, you're going to seriously hurt them whether the head is the first point of contact or not. The whiplash alone will make a concussion. You don't need to get hit in the head by a car to get a concussion in a car crash.

Not at all. That was not an accident. Scheifele had no purpose other than smoking Evans, otherwise he would have tried to stop the goal.

So we should eliminate all body contact because someone might get hurt? he came in fast in an effort to try to stop him from scoring. He was a hair late getting there and Evans wasn't aware of his surroundings and took a shoulder to the chest forcefully.

Yes the hit is a charge by definition but it was still not head contact and it was not intentional. This was a poor choice at a bad time and you'll never convince me this was intent to injure by a player with zero record of any sort of supplemental discipline in the league. We aren't talking about Ryan Reaves or Tom Wilson here.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
So we should eliminate all body contact because someone might get hurt? he came in fast in an effort to try to stop him from scoring. He was a hair late getting there and Evans wasn't aware of his surroundings and took a shoulder to the chest forcefully.

Yes the hit is a charge by definition but it was still not head contact and it was not intentional. This was a poor choice at a bad time and you'll never convince me this was intent to injure by a player with zero record of any sort of supplemental discipline in the league. We aren't talking about Ryan Reaves or Tom Wilson here.

Red Herring on point one bolded.

You're right. They've not done anything like this and they have the guts to stand up and take the heat. Soy Boy will run and hide.

Look at the above video. Left his feet. Hit his head. Didn't try for the puck. Focus on the player and not the puck.

Reactions: thebus88

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Red Herring on point one bolded.

You're right. They've not done anything like this and they have the guts to stand up and take the heat. Soy Boy will run and hide.

Look at the above video. Left his feet. Hit his head. Didn't try for the puck. Focus on the player and not the puck.
You must see different videos than I do. He left his feet after the point of contact which would be a natural reaction to a collision.

Here is the actual point of contact. Shoulder to shoulder, feet planted on the ground.

Screen Shot 2021-06-03 at 3.04.40 PM.png

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
You must see different videos than I do. He left his feet after the point of contact which would be a natural reaction to a collision.

Here is the actual point of contact. Shoulder to shoulder, feet planted on the ground.

View attachment 442807

Is the right blade actually on the ice? Looks like it's up a bit to me. Is the contact happening exactly at this point or a bit afterward?

If one is gliding while hitting someone and planted on the ice, the natural reaction isn't to leave the ice. At least not in my experience.

I won't belabor this. If you think the hit's OK, then so be it.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Is the right blade actually on the ice? Looks like it's up a bit to me. Is the contact happening exactly at this point or a bit afterward?

If one is gliding while hitting someone and planted on the ice, the natural reaction isn't to leave the ice. At least not in my experience.

I won't belabor this. If you think the hit's OK, then so be it.
I think it is unfortunate. I think it is bad luck. I refuse to believe he was head hunting. I expect 1 game and no more than a 2 game suspension just because of the circumstances and I will be absolutely shocked if it is anything more than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad