Around Hockey XXII (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I'm not sure I buy that.

So, would he be willing to sign a long-term contract in Columbus?

“Absolutely, I love it here,” Anderson said. “I mean, why wouldn’t I? For sure I would (sign) if the numbers are right.”

Josh Anderson talks shoulder injury, possible long-term contract with Blue Jackets and being in trade rumors

“There is a misplaced opinion on the temperature of negotiations with CBJ out there,” Ferris wrote. “That’s the social-media world we live in, I guess. This is the business side, and there will be discussions and no animosity as some would try to make people believe.

“One thing I know: Josh would like to be in (Columbus) for a long time.”

Josh Anderson says he wants to stay with Blue Jackets; can new negotiator help?

“Josh loved it here, and the guys loved him, too. There was a nice thing going on with him. This happens with all teams. But losing him … I’m not going to say it’s going to bury this hockey team. I’m not going to say that. You know how I feel about Josh. I wish that kid nothing but the best. He can be one hell of a hockey player.”

- Torts

Reactions: majormajor and Monk

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm not sure I buy that.

I can't find a more direct confirmation of it, but Josh had the same ask in contract negotiations with Jarmo as he did with Bergevin. Jarmo came close but couldn't quite meet the ask, Bergevin met the ask.

Here's Friedman on it:

Anderson, by the way, was resolute in his belief: a one-year contract walking himself to free agency, or the max. Columbus had the hammer the last time his contract was up — this time the leverage was his. That’s one of the reasons the Blue Jackets made the trade, and he did not change his mind for Montreal. Have to admire it.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I can't find a more direct confirmation of it, but Josh had the same ask in contract negotiations with Jarmo as he did with Bergevin. Jarmo came close but couldn't quite meet the ask, Bergevin met the ask.

Here's Friedman on it:
Sounds like he loved dollar signs more than Columbus. No "hometown discount" there if the truly loved playing in Columbus so much.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Sounds like he loved dollar signs more than Columbus. No "hometown discount" there if the truly loved playing in Columbus so much.

Sure but let's not let Anderson's impartiality creep into "he didn't want to be here". We have enough of that, no need to exaggerate. For now if a player asks the same from Columbus as he asks from Montreal, we should take that with a sense of relief.

And in Anderson's case he had already given Jarmo a huge discount on the previous deal, I find it easy to believe that he was fighting for respect not just cash.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Sure but let's not let Anderson's impartiality creep into "he didn't want to be here". We have enough of that, no need to exaggerate. For now if a player asks the same from Columbus as he asks from Montreal, we should take that with a sense of relief.

And in Anderson's case he had already given Jarmo a huge discount on the previous deal, I find it easy to believe that he was fighting for respect not just cash.
I wouldn’t say he gave a huge discount. He got the Jarmo hammer dropped on him that Jarmo so proudly wields like Thor’s Mjolnir.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Right, he had a discount ripped out of him. I wouldn't have expected Josh to give us another one after that.
Well I think we all think the Montreal contract was crazy but the fact he was insistent on a 1 year to walk to UFA or a big money deal shows to me he didn’t care where he played as long as he got paid. If he “loved” Columbus so much there could have been a bit of a slight discount to stay here. If Jarmo came close it could have gotten done.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Well I think we all think the Montreal contract was crazy but the fact he was insistent on a 1 year to walk to UFA or a big money deal shows to me he didn’t care where he played as long as he got paid.

Pretty much but I'd say we often say it's all about $$ when the players are evaluating $$ as a proxy for respect.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Well I think we all think the Montreal contract was crazy but the fact he was insistent on a 1 year to walk to UFA or a big money deal shows to me he didn’t care where he played as long as he got paid. If he “loved” Columbus so much there could have been a bit of a slight discount to stay here. If Jarmo came close it could have gotten done.
Considering his injury history and the current NHL climate can we fault him for wanting immediate financial security?

Reactions: majormajor

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Considering his injury history and the current NHL climate can we fault him for wanting immediate financial security?
If Jarmo offered something close to what he signed for in Montreal is something like 500k a year the difference maker to “financial security?” It sounds like Jarmo had a long term offer on the table.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
If Jarmo offered something close to what he signed for in Montreal is something like 500k a year the difference maker to “financial security?” It sounds like Jarmo had a long term offer on the table.
I was under the impression we offered significantly less in terms of years -- I also wonder how MTL taxes play into what he signed.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I was under the impression we offered significantly less in terms of years -- I also wonder how MTL taxes play into what he signed.
Well I won't go down the rabbit hold on the taxes but they have that whole universal healthcare thing that offsets their higher taxes.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Montreal has higher taxes than Columbus. Jarmo did offer a lot of years, at least five or six.

Obviously the hedonic benefit of half a million is nothing to these guys. I think it was obviously about who values him more, not about maximizing the bank account. If Marc Bergevin is willing to trade a good player for you, and willing to meet your ask, that has to sound pretty good.

Well I won't go down the rabbit hold on the taxes but they have that whole universal healthcare thing that offsets their higher taxes.

If you're middle class.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I heard them say tonight on the NHL network that Vegas is starting with 13 forwards and 5 defensemen in order to fit under the salary cap.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Carolina defeated Nashville in Tennessee. Doesn’t hurt having Svech, Aho and the company on offense

Last edited:

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Sonny Milano has more shots on net this season than Cam Atkinson. Sonny Milano has played <13 minutes in one game.

Milano made his Ducks season debut last night on the 2nd line and looked pretty good. Ended up with the 2nd-most minutes at 5v5 among forwards for Anaheim.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Sonny Milano has more shots on net this season than Cam Atkinson. Sonny Milano has played <13 minutes in one game.

Milano made his Ducks season debut last night on the 2nd line and looked pretty good. Ended up with the 2nd-most minutes at 5v5 among forwards for Anaheim.

Meanwhile, Devin Shore is scoring goals for Edmonton. Jarmo could not have boned this one worse.

Reactions: DarkandStormy

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Meanwhile, Devin Shore is scoring goals for Edmonton. Jarmo could not have boned this one worse.

And he signed for $700k! Not that I think Devin Shore is cracking the lineup right now, but maybe he would get a look over Foudy or Bemstrom, I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad