Around Hockey XXI (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
You may be surprised to hear this, but Tom Wilson did a goonish thing late in the 3rd period down 3 goals again.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

Ice Guardians. Coming close to bumping Slap Shot as my all time favorite hockey flick. An extremely well done documentary on fighting/concussion issues in hockey.

Brett Gallant of the Cleveland Monsters is prominently featured.

Last edited:
Reactions: thebus88

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Color me surprised. I thought he was safe until the offseason at least. :dunno:

Just so long as they don't hire Babcock. I mean, yeah, I had a grumpy ultimatum or two with Torts as well, but at least then he'd had time to reflect on his errors before coming here. Babcock hasn't.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Mike Milbury on NBC's hockey game said he though there were character issues with the Preds C's - Joey, Duchene & Turris. Didn't expound much on the comment but I thought he didn't consider them as 1C's but collectively 1aC's.

Hipster Letestu

Aug 2, 2009
Westerville
Preds GM: coach is safe, all players are available

Preds GM a week later: bye coach

They probably saw what happened in Toronto after they fired Babcock, and were hoping firing Laviolette would have the same effect. The problem is Duchene isn't Tavares, and Johansen sure as hell isn't Matthews. They could still turn it around I suppose, but I have doubts.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
They probably saw what happened in Toronto after they fired Babcock, and were hoping firing Laviolette would have the same effect. The problem is Duchene isn't Tavares, and Johansen sure as hell isn't Matthews. They could still turn it around I suppose, but I have doubts.

Lavy has had a short shelf life at all of his stays. Usually a bump in the short term (first 1-3 years) followed by a quick drop by the team. Better for the Preds to cut bait now - while not totally out of playoff contention, if they think they can turn the season around - than for him to further torpedo the franchise and lose the room entirely (if that hadn't already happened).

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Mike Milbury on NBC's hockey game said he though there were character issues with the Preds C's - Joey, Duchene & Turris. Didn't expound much on the comment but I thought he didn't consider them as 1C's but collectively 1aC's.
Uhhuh. Remember how media pundits assumed that this team was entirely the product of Panarin and Bobrovsky and as soon as they left we were guaranteed to be last overall? This is an assessment of comparable (lack of) quality.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Uhhuh. Remember how media pundits assumed that this team was entirely the product of Panarin and Bobrovsky and as soon as they left we were guaranteed to be last overall? This is an assessment of comparable (lack of) quality.

You would know better than I, I don't watch the Preds much, but I think there might be some merit to Johansen. Turris and Lavy had a falling out, so I don't really think its a character issue there, but I do think Johansen gives 50% effort at times. There is no reason why he shouldn't be at least a 20 goal scorer every year. He has a bomb of a shot and he scored 30 nearly two years in a row here. He's a stud, but only when he wants to be a stud.

I could be wrong, I don't watch the Preds, but statsheet watching screams Joey not giving his all consistently. He's a #1 C but his numbers don't say it. I still like the player a lot but its starting to turn into a common denominator thing.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
You would know better than I, I don't watch the Preds much, but I think there might be some merit to Johansen. Turris and Lavy had a falling out, so I don't really think its a character issue there, but I do think Johansen gives 50% effort at times. There is no reason why he shouldn't be at least a 20 goal scorer every year. He has a bomb of a shot and he scored 30 nearly two years in a row here. He's a stud, but only when he wants to be a stud.

I could be wrong, I don't watch the Preds, but statsheet watching screams Joey not giving his all consistently. He's a #1 C but his numbers don't say it. I still like the player a lot but its starting to turn into a common denominator thing.
The short version is that most of the team is underachieving, particularly the goaltending; blaming it on the guys with narrative reputations is just lazy. It's the sort of "analysis" my impulsive preteen nephew could do.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
The short version is that most of the team is underachieving, particularly the goaltending; blaming it on the guys with narrative reputations is just lazy. It's the sort of "analysis" my impulsive preteen nephew could do.

Perhaps, but would you say the concerns to Johansen's production and effort at least has some merit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad