Around Hockey XXI (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Duclair had several breakaways with the Jackets. I think he might have converted one. That wasn’t on Torts. Maybe Duclair finally, on his 17th NHL team (the team which has absolutely no expectations), figured out how to finish.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I know this is a little off topic but didn't want to start a new thread for a post that might not get any replies. And it does have to do with firing an NHL coach (just not ours).

Sharks fired DeBoer (I don't understand how that guy keeps getting HC jobs). Replaced by short lived CBJ assistant coach Bob Boughner AND long time Cleveland Barons HC Roy Sommers named Sharks Associate HC. And...for those in Cleveland who remember...Evgeni Nabokov named goalie coach for the Sharks played 20 games for the Cleveland Lumberjacks back in 1999. Good memories. I miss the Jacks...and Buzz zipping around the ice on his ATV before games.

Just a few of names from Ohio hockey's past.

Reactions: JKinCLE

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
I know this is a little off topic but didn't want to start a new thread for a post that might not get any replies. And it does have to do with firing an NHL coach (just not ours).

Sharks fired DeBoer (I don't understand how that guy keeps getting HC jobs). Replaced by short lived CBJ assistant coach Bob Boughner AND long time Cleveland Barons HC Roy Sommers named Sharks Associate HC. And...for those in Cleveland who remember...Evgeni Nabokov named goalie coach for the Sharks played 20 games for the Cleveland Lumberjacks back in 1999. Good memories. I miss the Jacks...and Buzz zipping around the ice on his ATV before games.

I went to a few Lumberjack games, but the one thing I can remember was seeing a game where Butch Goring was the opposing coach and a call didn't go his way. He got thrown out and proceeded to throw all their sticks on the ice.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011

Gee, Doggy. You've certainly set a high bar. DeBoer has made the playoffs all 4 years at San Jose including trips to the Cup and Conference finals. I suspect he won't be collecting unemployment checks for long.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Gee, Doggy. You've certainly set a high bar. DeBoer has made the playoffs all 4 years at San Jose including trips to the Cup and Conference finals. I suspect he won't be collecting unemployment checks for long.
Sorry, a monkey could win games with some of the talent they have had in San Jose. DeBoer was not good in Florida and was underwhelming in NJ. Just not a DeBoer fan I guess.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Scary event in the OHL tonight. Niagara goalie Tucker Tynan was cut in the leg by a skate blade and the rest of the game was cancelled. Paramedics were on the ice and there was as much blood on the ice as I’ve ever seen. This was a Malarchuk type of cut that must have gotten an artery. I hope he end up being ok.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
On the same night the CBJ get shut out on 17 SOG against an AHL team, Panarin gets a hat trick elsewhere. Yeah that sums up the CBJ’s entire existence pretty nicely.

Reactions: We Want Ten

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
An update from the old ex-Jackets Thread:

Ian Cole: 0-7-7, +8 in 15 games with Colorado. Starting a whopping 71% of non-on-the-fly starts in the defensive zone, leading to slightly negative possession numbers (though still positive relative to his teammates).
Matt Calvert: 4-8-12, +5 in 20 games with Colorado. On pace for career-highs across the board (including PIM) if he plays a full 82. Positive possession player. Took puck to the head this weekend.
Sergei Bobrovsky: 7-4-4, .882 sv%, 3.53 GAA, 1 SO, -11.69 GSAA (depending on which site you trust) -> still on pace for his worst season if it continues this way
Matt Duchene: 5-11-16 in 18 games for Nashville, -3 bringing his career +/- to a whopping -89, very high possession player for the Preds so far (best possession #s of career if they hold)
Ryan Dzingel: 4-10-14, +7 in 20 games for Carolina, would be first time in career as a positive possession player if it holds. Had cooled off for awhile with an 0-3-3 stretch over 7 games, but has 1-2-3 in the 3 games since then.
Anthony Duclair: 7-3-10, -3 in 20 games for Ottawa, averaging career-high 16:09 TOI. His 7 goals would tie him with PLD for the team lead in Columbus and is as many as Atkinson, Nyquist, and Foligno combined.
Ryan Johansen: 2-12-14, -2 in 19 games for Nashville, negative (relative to teammates) possession player. On pace for lowest goal total of his career. Shots/game are also at his lowest pace since his rookie season.
Artemi Panarin: 9-14-23, +9 in 18 games for the Rangers, a slightly negative possession player on a really bad team so his CF% rel is pretty high. Getting lowest oZone starts of his career, but is averaging career highs in goals & assists (and thus, points) per game so far.
Jack Johnson: 1-3-4, +5 in 19 games for Pittsburgh, averaging career low TOI, and, you may be shocked, still putting up really bad possession numbers. His .21 points/game is his highest points/game pace since leaving Columbus.
Curis McElhinney: 2-1-2, .906 sv%, 3.76 GAA in 5 starts for Tampa Bay. -.34 GSAA -> would be his worst season since the '15-'16 disaster season in Columbus.
Brandon Saad: 6-6-12, even in 20 games for Chicago, averaging career-low TOI (16:27/game), still a high possession player.

Let me know if there are any other requests.​

Been almost four weeks since the last check-in.

Ian Cole: 1-12-12, +15 in 26 games with Colorado. dZone starts are still at a career-high of 66.2%.
Matt Calvert: 6-11-17, +8 in 24 games with Colorado, including 2-3-5 in his last 4 games. Still on pace for career highs, including possession numbers.
Sergei Bobrovsky: 11-8-4, .899 sv%, 3.14 GAA, 1 SO, -7.87 GSAA, though he does have a .958 save % in his last 4 games which has prompted talks of "Old Bob" being back.
Matt Duchene: 8-13-21, -2 in 29 games with Nashville, on pace for lowest TOI since 2012.
Ryan Dzingel: 6-12-18, +1 in 32 games for Carolina, still positive possession numbers.
Anthony Duclair: 15-7-22, +1, 16:34 ATOI in 32 games with Ottawa.
Ryan Johansen: 6-13-19, -2 in 30 games with Nashville, on pace for lowest point total since 2013.
Artemi Panarin: 18-23-41, +15 in 31 games with NYR, including a hat trick (4 point) game last night in San Jose. On pace for 108 points.
Jack Johnson: 1-3-4, +8 in 30 games with the Pens.
Curtis McElhinney: 3-3-2, .898 sv%, 3.62 GAA in 8 starts for Tampa
Brandon Saad: 8-8-16, -2 in 32 games with Chicago, lowest ATOI since 2014.
William Karlsson: 9-17-16, +4, 56.1 FO% in 34 games.
Jakub Voracek: 6-16-22, +5 in 22 games, on pace for lowest ATOI since 2012.

Reactions: ViD and DJAnimosity

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I'd take him in a heartbeat at league minimum, what could it hurt?
He's old and washed up. I lost respect for him after the Devils contract. But sure why not. He's put pucks in the net a few times.

Only on a deal for the rest of the year but you know he wants more than that. He apparently also has an offer to go back to Russia even though he prefers to remain here. But if anyone thought Torts was having a tough time getting Panarin to play defense this would make the rest of the season interesting.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I'd take him in a heartbeat at league minimum, what could it hurt?

Meh. We're not in contention. He would take ice time away from players like Bjorkstrand and Anderson, one of whom is tearing it up and needs to keep going, and the other badly needing to re-discover himself. If this was last year, I'd be all in on this, but different situation. Pass on Kovalchuk, although I think he would pass on us as well.

My bet is he goes to Pittsburgh, Nashville, NYI, or Colorado. With a big slant towards Pittsburgh on a very small contract for one year, and then if he plays well he can try to cash in again somewhere else, or go back home.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Scary event in the OHL tonight. Niagara goalie Tucker Tynan was cut in the leg by a skate blade and the rest of the game was cancelled. Paramedics were on the ice and there was as much blood on the ice as I’ve ever seen. This was a Malarchuk type of cut that must have gotten an artery. I hope he end up being ok.
IceDogs head coach with update on injured goalie Tucker Tynan

The unintentional impact of the London Knights player's skate-blade was so great that it cut Tynan's quadriceps muscle right to the bone.
Burke says it was an easy decision to wave off the game, with no hesitation from either side; a head league official in attendance agreed that "we couldn't expect a hockey game to continue after that."
The coach commends the effort of both team trainers and first responders that worked to save the 17-year-old Chicago-native's life.
He also spoke to the silver lining in the situation, which has inspired many people to donate blood.
As for right now, Tynan will be heading back to Chicago with his mother to begin healing the largest muscle in the human body.
The IceDogs head coach beleives his young goalie can return at full strength sometime in the future.

Reactions: Iron Balls McGinty

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Reactions: CBJWennberg10

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Duchene better than Panarin? You gotta be kidding. '

Panarin might be low cuz he's only played half the decade...maybe? I dunno, seems like he should be in the 30s or 40s

Doubt this is reason. Connor McD is 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad