Around Hockey XXI (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
And those assets would have been better and more "right now" beneficial to the team than the likes of Texier and Gavrikov and Bemstrom because...?

A boat is just a boat, but the Mystery Box could be anything! It could even be a boat; you know how much we've wanted one of those!

why does it have to be “better than” and not “in addition to”? I’m always in favor of something instead of nothing.

Reactions: EspenK

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
why does it have to be “better than” and not “in addition to”?
You insisted that the validity of pursuing such a trade was because doing so:
definitely could have helped us right now.
That pretty much mandates that the players you get from such a trade be on the ice, because if they're not on the ice, they're not helping us right now. So who are they replacing?

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
You insisted that the validity of pursuing such a trade was because doing so:

That pretty much mandates that the players you get from such a trade be on the ice, because if they're not on the ice, they're not helping us right now. So who are they replacing?

It isn’t really that hard. Somebody beats somebody out in training camp, somebody goes to Cleveland, somebody gets hurt, somebody gets called up. Nash goes to the press box. The roster isn’t fixed in place.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
It isn’t really that hard. Somebody beats somebody out in training camp, somebody goes to Cleveland, somebody gets hurt, somebody gets called up. Nash goes to the press box. The roster isn’t fixed in place.
Okay, so we're basically adding youth in camp. Cool. Except we did that already with Bemstrom and Gavrikov and Texier. (And Lilja, earlier in the season.) So we're back to my "how would these hypothetical guys be better (and/or contributing more) than Bem/Gav/Tex" question - irrespective of who on the roster they actually replace.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Okay, so we're basically adding youth in camp. Cool. Except we did that already with Bemstrom and Gavrikov and Texier. (And Lilja, earlier in the season.) So we're back to my "how would these hypothetical guys be better (and/or contributing more) than Bem/Gav/Tex" question - irrespective of who on the roster they actually replace.

So the question you’re wanting an answer to is how could any player we could have obtained in a trade hope to be better than the hallowed triumvirate of “BemGavTex”? Gosh you’re right, they stand alone in sheer greatness.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
So the question you’re wanting an answer to is how could any player we could have obtained in a trade hope to be better than the hallowed triumvirate of “BemGavTex”? Gosh you’re right, they stand alone in sheer greatness.
As opposed, of course, to the indisputable greatness of hypothetical "surely they must exist somewhere" Mystery Box players that you get for the low low price of continuing to have never won anything even resembling a thing in the post season.

It's not about how exceptional our current guys are per se. It's about how supposedly exceptional you are evidently assuming Those Guys We Could Have Got For Panarin (whomever the hell they are) would be.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I really think Jarmo was banking on being able to steal a top young player away from another team that had cap issues. Every team figured it out and we had virtually no draft picks left to make any sort of deal. Now they have tons of cap space and virtually nobody to use it on

I think this nails it.

I don’t know that I would want any of the free agents this summer (Hall will want too much term) so we might have plenty of cap space next year. Maybe offer Toffoli more than he is worth but for only 2 years.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Also I think maybe Jarmo was expecting to trade one or two of our defensemen for some offense. The market for defense was softer than most anticipated. (Not just us — for example, Buffalo was willing to trade Risto.)

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I think this nails it.

I don’t know that I would want any of the free agents this summer (Hall will want too much term) so we might have plenty of cap space next year. Maybe offer Toffoli more than he is worth but for only 2 years.
Hall will deserve the term he gets. He was the mvp 2 years ago and on pace for over 70 points on a really bad devils team this year.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
He is a great talent, and some team will give him a long deal, but I don’t think 28 year old forwards should get 7 or 8 year deals. That said, I would have made an exception for Panarin.

Reactions: Lumbus

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
But isn’t that essentially what he did even though he’d never say it to our faces? He strung the city and the team along for an entire year because he wouldn’t tell the truth. He tried to play the middle so he wouldn’t make himself look bad when honesty would have been the best for all sides.

It's pretty obvious he was upfront with management (wanting to be in a bigger city).
He has NO obligation to tell the fans he doesn't want to be here. He told the folks that mattered (management/ownership) but those guys hoped to change his mind.

So no it was not in his best interest to tell the press or fans. He told the folks that mattered (CBJ) so if you're looking for someone to get mad at look at them.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
It's pretty obvious he was upfront with management (wanting to be in a bigger city).
He has NO obligation to tell the fans he doesn't want to be here. He told the folks that mattered (management/ownership) but those guys hoped to change his mind.

So no it was not in his best interest to tell the press or fans. He told the folks that mattered (CBJ) so if you're looking for someone to get mad at look at them.
I’m mad at everyone because this team is underperforming and didn’t do anything to replace him. I never bought into a 20 year old French kid and 19 year old Swedish kid being the saviors.

But I’ll also be mad at him because he left this team and he is now the enemy. You are either with us or against us. He is now against us and he is going to try his hardest tonight to make us look bad. I might respect him because of his ability but as long as he’s on another team I won’t like him.

Reactions: EspenK

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Florida looks to be a good situation for Bob. Was like his early days for the CBJ - team defensively in front of him was a mess, lots of shots, but that is where Bob seems to play his best (Chaos in front of him seems to help him at times). Big difference is Florida scores a lot more than those CBJ teams so they are winning more.
So maybe it was a good addition by them? Again I don't think that style will work in the playoffs but for now it works ok for them.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Or, alternatively, it's easier to avoid repeated failure to meet expectations when you're on a team that has no expectations whatsoever.

Too bad the expectation wasn't go ahead and play your game and score as many goals as you can.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
The actual full quote if we’re interested in accuracy

upload_2019-12-11_19-8-41.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad