Around Hockey XXI (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Maybe Viqsi can help us out - what the **** is going on with Nashville?
The Duchene Curse Is REAL! :scared:

What I think is going on is that the Subban trade has seriously exposed Nashville's lack of blueline depth. Yes, there's a lack of blueline depth there; the bottom-pairing guys there have been a joke, and I'd been wanting to fix that for a while. And there were plenty of worries about whether or not Fabbro was ready for heavy duty. But that could very well be just assuming that the problem I anticipated is the problem that presently is, and I hate that sort of thing and endeavor to avoid perpetuating it myself. ;) I haven't seen enough to really know if that's the case or not (I haven't been watching as many Preds games as yet this year as I'm still a bit bitter about Duchene :) ), so I can't be certain.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

Robert Bortuzzo is a cheap shot artist who deserved more than four games.

What he did was certainly over the line and I am indifferent to the suspension. But crap like this used to be taken care of during the game. The DPOS is becoming the nanny state of hockey. Not to say that on ice behavior shouldn't be monitored, but the actions of Bortuzzo on Arvidsson needed to be addressed immediately by the Nashville players.

Reactions: thebus88

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
What he did was certainly over the line and I am indifferent to the suspension. But crap like this used to be taken care of during the game. The DPOS is becoming the nanny state of hockey. Not to say that on ice behavior shouldn't be monitored, but the actions of Bortuzzo on Arvidsson needed to be addressed immediately by the Nashville players.

Or maybe DOPS should have sent a clearer message long ago given his history of doing this?

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

Or maybe DOPS should have sent a clearer message long ago given his history of doing this?

Maybe. Or if Bertuzzo knew he would get blasted by an Anderson at full speed next time he had the puck behind the net or if he got roughed up real badly after he did it, he'd think twice or three times before pulling the same crap again.

I know that if Bertuzzo would have pulled his crap in an ECHL game, he'd have had 5 guys in his face (and worse) seconds after he did. Bettman hockey is the Ice Capades (little checking/no fighting) with a call to the cops (DPOS) when anything bad happens. I'm not a big fan of it.:laugh:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I don't want to start a war or debate over PC stuff, but here are my thoughts.

You can't claim hockey is for everyone and say Bill Peters should keep his job. I don't care if he said it 10 years ago. He said it in a professional setting, under employment by a professional team, and in front of professional players. Anyone else would have been fired on the spot at their job, 10 years ago or tomorrow. Aliu and others who have come forward don't benefit at all in this except to share their story and maybe prevent this stuff happening elsewhere. Hockey should be inclusive and diverse, for all to watch, enjoy, and play regardless of race, sexual orientation, religion, sex, or anything else. It's not about "fake rage" or "cancel culture" its about doing the right thing.

Peters should go.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I don't want to start a war or debate over PC stuff, but here are my thoughts.

You can't claim hockey is for everyone and say Bill Peters should keep his job. I don't care if he said it 10 years ago. He said it in a professional setting, under employment by a professional team, and in front of professional players. Anyone else would have been fired on the spot at their job, 10 years ago or tomorrow. Aliu and others who have come forward don't benefit at all in this except to share their story and maybe prevent this stuff happening elsewhere. Hockey should be inclusive and diverse, for all to watch, enjoy, and play regardless of race, sexual orientation, religion, sex, or anything else. It's not about "fake rage" or "cancel culture" its about doing the right thing.

Peters should go.

Or to write a book, get a media gig, make himself relevant, etc.

I assume that you think that Jussie Smollete should never be employed by any entertainment organization again. Am I correct? And do jail time since that's what he would have potentially created for others had his sham not been exposed.

Reactions: thebus88

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Or to write a book, get a media gig, make himself relevant, etc.

I assume that you think that Jussie Smollete should never be employed by any entertainment organization again. Am I correct? And do jail time since that's what he would have potentially created for others had his sham not been exposed.

Are they writing a book, getting a media gig, or trying to make themselves relevant? I think Aliu finally felt comfortable coming forward after the Babcock media firestorm and how much it was ridiculed by people, and others felt comfortable supporting Aliu after he took his step.

Like I said, I'm not trying to start a debate. I've said my peace. If I gave you my breakdown of your second point, it would cause us to go down the rabbit hole I want to avoid here on a hockey forum. If you're truly interested (or anyone else) PM me.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Are they writing a book, getting a media gig, or trying to make themselves relevant? I think Aliu finally felt comfortable coming forward after the Babcock media firestorm and how much it was ridiculed by people, and others felt comfortable supporting Aliu after he took his step.

Like I said, I'm not trying to start a debate. I've said my peace. If I gave you my breakdown of your second point, it would cause us to go down the rabbit hole I want to avoid here on a hockey forum. If you're truly interested (or anyone else) PM me.

Just was offering a different take. I'm content to not comment upon it further in public or private.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Per the restrictions on political discussion, I am obliged to request that we leave it at that and no further. There's a mains board thread if you're interested in discussing it further. Thanks.

There's also PMs, if you'd prefer to avoid the mains board thread, which is what I've been doing...

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Panarin on pace for 114 pts this season. 71 assists. Looks like Rangers have lots of great goal scorers.He only had 59 assists last year.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Panarin on pace for 114 pts this season. 71 assists. Looks like Rangers have lots of great goal scorers.He only had 59 assists last year.

Panarin's presence has probably turned the Rangers from a lottery team into a possible bubble playoff team.

You have to wonder what a "sign and trade" Panarin would have been worth to his new team with an 8 year contract in hand last season. One first round draft pick for certain. Easy to believe that he could have brought two first round picks and maybe even a good prospect.

Either Panarin or Bob needed to have been traded for a good return last year. Leaving the cupboard bare was a terrible management strategy.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I'm not sure if you're serious. Panarin's main beneficiary is Ryan Strome, who was waiver fodder last year and had to be dumped for Ryan Spooner, who is now playing in Minsk. Artemi Panarin is just a great f***ing hockey player, capable of elevating anyone. The only thing he couldn't elevate is our powerplay, and that's the difference I can tell between the clubs -- he's got 10 PP points already. I've said it before, he would have been a 100 pt player with us if we had a decent powerplay.

You have to wonder what a "sign and trade" Panarin would have been worth to his new team with an 8 year contract in hand last season.

That's an interesting question. But of course this is a fantasy. What about Panarin's reality show antics makes you think he would have resolved the drama that early? He was playing teams off of each other until midnight of July 1st. And why would the rebuilding Rangers be giving up futures for a sign and trade? Every Ranger fan all season insisted they'd only take Panarin on July 1st.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I'm not sure if you're serious. Panarin's main beneficiary is Ryan Strome, who was waiver fodder last year and had to be dumped for Ryan Spooner, who is now playing in Minsk. Artemi Panarin is just a great ****ing hockey player, capable of elevating anyone. The only thing he couldn't elevate is our powerplay, and that's the difference I can tell between the clubs -- he's got 10 PP points already. I've said it before, he would have been a 100 pt player with us if we had a decent powerplay.

That's an interesting question. But of course this is a fantasy. What about Panarin's reality show antics makes you think he would have resolved the drama that early? He was playing teams off of each other until midnight of July 1st. And why would the rebuilding Rangers be giving up futures for a sign and trade? Every Ranger fan all season insisted they'd only take Panarin on July 1st.

Panarin's universe was limited. NYR, FLA and maybe another NY area team. Even if it wasn't a sign and trade, his value was at least one first round pick and one conditional. Unless you believe that Matt Duchene was worth more-and that would be a fantasy.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Panarin's presence has probably turned the Rangers from a lottery team into a possible bubble playoff team.

You have to wonder what a "sign and trade" Panarin would have been worth to his new team with an 8 year contract in hand last season. One first round draft pick for certain. Easy to believe that he could have brought two first round picks and maybe even a good prospect.

Either Panarin or Bob needed to have been traded for a good return last year. Leaving the cupboard bare was a terrible management strategy.

Panarin should have been traded on July 2, 2018. Bob soon thereafter, if not even earlier.

The TB sweep in the playoffs is fun to watch on YouTube now, but as far as asset management for the future, Jarmo gets an F-

Reactions: EspenK

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Panarin should have been traded on July 2, 2018. Bob soon thereafter, if not even earlier.

The TB sweep in the playoffs is fun to watch on YouTube now, but as far as asset management for the future, Jarmo gets an F-

I knew I was an easy grader. I'd give him a D+. Bob had a NMC and was pissed so Jarmo's leverage with him was questionable. The real problem was trading away a first for Duchene and and 2 -2nds for Dzingle which made Jarmo's strategy even more questionable as the team wasn't getting any additional picks for their assets (Bob and Bread).

There was value in beating Tampa. Getting the "never won a playoff series" mark off the franchise's resume wasn't insignificant. But the $64,000 question is whether the CBJ needed all those pieces to beat Tampa. Tampa went into a funk and may not be completely over it. There's a reasonable chance that the CBJ could have beaten them without 2 of the 3 of Bread, Duchene and Bob. At the end of the day, Jarmo may have bought multiple and very expensive term insurance policies that could have possibly been completely superfluous.

Jarmo has left this franchise twisting in the wind. It's now a team which reminds me of the 2010-11 version of the CBJ-lots of declining veterans and mediocre youth. He should pay the ultimate price for allowing the franchise to fall so precipitously based on faulty risk and asset management that had virtually no chance of being successful beyond a lone playoff series win.

Reactions: DarkandStormy

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
I knew I was an easy grader. I'd give him a D+. Bob had a NMC and was pissed so Jarmo's leverage with him was questionable. The real problem was trading away a first for Duchene and and 2 -2nds for Dzingle which made Jarmo's strategy even more questionable as the team wasn't getting any additional picks for their assets (Bob and Bread).

There was value in beating Tampa. Getting the "never won a playoff series" mark off the franchise's resume wasn't insignificant. But the $64,000 question is whether the CBJ needed all those pieces to beat Tampa. Tampa went into a funk and may not be completely over it. There's a reasonable chance that the CBJ could have beaten them without 2 of the 3 of Bread, Duchene and Bob. At the end of the day, Jarmo may have bought multiple and very expensive term insurance policies that could have possibly been completely superfluous.

Jarmo has left this franchise twisting in the wind. It's now a team which reminds me of the 2010-11 version of the CBJ-lots of declining veterans and mediocre youth. He should pay the ultimate price for allowing the franchise to fall so precipitously based on faulty risk and asset management that had virtually no chance of being successful beyond a lone playoff series win.

re: Bob, the NMC was likely moot as, based on his comments, he likely would have played for Edmonton if it meant getting the hell off of this team in the offseason. Now, he seemed to bite the professional bullet (for the most part) once the season started but Jarmo ignored Bob’s repeated overtures that he was not long for Columbus.
He doubled down and gave up additional assets at the deadline for a first round win. I agree that it was significant at the time and I was caught up in it as well. However the CBJ are now as irrelevant as they’ve ever been and I agree this team has the stink of an early Todd Richards squad. I don’t think that Tampa win had any measurable impact on this franchise moving into 2020.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
re: Bob, the NMC was likely moot as, based on his comments, he likely would have played for Edmonton if it meant getting the hell off of this team in the offseason. Now, he seemed to bite the professional bullet (for the most part) once the season started but Jarmo ignored Bob’s repeated overtures that he was not long for Columbus.
He doubled down and gave up additional assets at the deadline for a first round win. I agree that it was significant at the time and I was caught up in it as well. However the CBJ are now as irrelevant as they’ve ever been and I agree this team has the stink of an early Todd Richards squad. I don’t think that Tampa win had any measurable impact on this franchise moving into 2020.
Agree on all points. Bob really didn't want to be here and probably would have waived NMC for many teams.

Screw the D+. D it is.

Reactions: DJAnimosity

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
The Athletic has a cyber Monday sale for just today. It's $20.40 billed for the next 12 months ($1.70 per month).

I don't work for them:laugh:

**Mods** please delete if a violation of forum rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad