Around Hockey XXI (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Another screw job by the refs, again bailing out San Jose and this time St Louis the team suffering from ref incompetence......make that TOTAL incompetence.

I'd say 1 of the 4 guys definitely should have seen that. The close ref has a bunch of players there in the way so I cant fault him much for it, but the other ref and both linesman should have seen it. Right in the slot, guys on his knees, and the puck was up by his arm/shoulder area.

However, its (I'm assuming) NON REVIEWABLE.

Even going back to the goal we scored in a WAY LESS obvious situation off the netting, and with the offsides challenges, I find it FASCINATING that they don't have language in the rulebook that can allow them to review uncalled hand passes or high sticks that lead directly to goals. Even though they didn't seem to have much of a talk, or look at the replays, like we've seemingly seen in the past.

Expect some changes to the rulebook over the summer.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Just when you thought that the San Jose Sharks couldn't have gotten another ridiculously bad call in their favor.....................

I think the combination of the two ref system and video review has had a strong negative impact on the quality of refereeing. I'm not opposed to video reviews on certain things, but when refs have the mindset that their call isn't the final call, I think that it leads to indecisiveness. The 2 ref deal also probably gives the refs the mindset that if they miss a call that it's no big deal and the other guy will get it.

The 2 ref system also doesn't allow for a ref to set the tone of the penalty calling in a game. Two guys can't always be on the same page.

Reactions: Viqsi

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
In an age where referees can instantly access multiple camera angles, to not make goals like this one, or even the one where we scored off the netting, is absolutely unforgivable. You have guys in Toronto already on the case for every goal. It wouldn't be even close to being onerous to review every case where a goal might've been scored illegally. It's highly embarrassing when things like this happen, and objectively unfair to the team victimized.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
The refs need to save the horrible game winning calls for the Finals against Boston.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Do away with replays and reviews altogether. I like the good old days when you could argue about a call for days.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I'd say 1 of the 4 guys definitely should have seen that. The close ref has a bunch of players there in the way so I cant fault him much for it, but the other ref and both linesman should have seen it. Right in the slot, guys on his knees, and the puck was up by his arm/shoulder area.

However, its (I'm assuming) NON REVIEWABLE.

Even going back to the goal we scored in a WAY LESS obvious situation off the netting, and with the offsides challenges, I find it FASCINATING that they don't have language in the rulebook that can allow them to review uncalled hand passes or high sticks that lead directly to goals. Even though they didn't seem to have much of a talk, or look at the replays, like we've seemingly seen in the past.

Expect some changes to the rulebook over the summer.
Yes, my understanding is that it's not reviewable by Toronto, and because none of the refs saw it they are not permitted to then "discover" it thru replay.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Do away with replays and reviews altogether. I like the good old days when you could argue about a call for days.
More than any replay, I hate the offside review. Most of the time the call centers on the slimmest of margins that still leaves people arguing and not even close to the original intent - to prevent egregious missed calls.

While this has no chance of adoption, my preference for offside review is to allow only real time (game speed) reviews. Thus if it's not an obvious offside, move on. No more looking to see whether the skate was lifted, on ice, 1" beyond blue line, etc. Simply prevent the missed offside calls that could have and should have been seen at game speed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
More than any replay, I hate the offside review. Most of the time the call centers on the slimmest of margins that still leaves people arguing and not even close to the original intent - to prevent egregious missed calls.

While this has no chance of adoption, my preference for offside review is to allow on real time (game speed) reviews. Thus if it's not an obvious offside, move on. No more looking to see whether the skate was lifted, on ice, 1" beyond blue line, etc. Simply prevent to missed offside calls that could have and should have been seen at game speed.
I really think you have a solution to the offsides Carnaval. Reviews done at game speed is what they should do. I wouldn't be surprised if this is adopted. You will get no credit.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
It wouldn't bother me that much if they did that. But the genie is out of the bottle so I would imagine there is less than a 0% chance that this would ever occur

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
3 peat losers to the Eastern conference champion. Can we 3 peat Stanley cup winners too?

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
We need to root for the Western champions this year.

Last thing the Jackets need to be known as is the team that loses to the eventual Cup winners every year.

Perhaps next year we will be the ones hoisting the Cup. Tort's job depends on it.

Reactions: cslebn

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
Boston is a machine right now; they went through Carolina like a hot knife through butter. It's hard for me to see them losing to either team left in the West.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
We need to root for the Western champions this year.

Last thing the Jackets need to be known as is the team that loses to the eventual Cup winners every year.

It's better than losing to a team that doesn't win it. "You can't win without beating the Jackets" would be a kind of praise for us.

It's also better than getting swept by a team that got swept by a team that got swept by a team (Pittsburgh swept by the Islanders, who were swept by Carolina, who were swept by the Bruins). That's embarrassing. :laugh:

Reactions: Viqsi

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Let's be honest, we didn't have 4 lines that could be trusted against Boston. We did until Riley Nash went down. Then we were scrambling to try to find any combination that would work with Wennberg, Texier, and Hannikainan.

Maybe I should have said Torts/Jarmo need to figure this out. Not having a solid & deep enough roster to be able to overcome the loss of Riley Nash (sarcasm emoji?) should be unacceptable. Again I believe that Torts & Jarmo aren't on the same page when it comes to roster building.

I'm in the camp that we had better depth that we just didn't use. Other than Wennberg, our depth players were fine.

The Bruins fourth line has been a great asset for them, but let's not act like Kuraly, Acciari, and Nordstrom are that good. Maybe Kuraly is, he's big and fast with a decent amount of scoring touch. Acciari though is basically Hannikainen, a great checker with limited skills. And Nordstrom is like the soft (not good) version of Riley Nash.

I don't know if Sedlak was healthy enough to play but he's like a Kuraly with zero scoring touch. You don't score much with him out there but you don't get scored on either, and if he was getting 10 minutes a night I think it would have been such a boost to our scoring lines to have that rest. Hannikainen was given about 5 minutes in one game - in that span he forced two turnovers which created two chances in the blue paint, and was falsely blamed by posters here for a goal against on the only shot against (Krejci was not his man). Texier could have played a lot more too, I saw a couple mistakes, but this thing Torts does where he goes to zero confidence in a player after one mistake is just sad. You have to take your chances with players like that. They might reward you, or they might hurt you, and that's better than choosing to play only three lines, which almost certainly will hurt you.

Edit: I'm not sure about Dubinsky, who seemed to struggle again after Nash went down. I also haven't even mentioned Eric Robinson, who I don't know what happened to. I'd frankly sooner take my chances with Dalpe or Milano in there for ten minutes a night than just roll three lines. That might have even gotten us some goals.

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Torts sucks when it comes to managing young players. I was totally impressed by Boston's 4th line as well as a couple of other young guys who I had never heard of.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Watched some hockey yesterday for the first time since the Jackets were eliminated. Blues dominated the Sharks in the time I watched. Looked like games 5-6 of the Bruins series, but even more one-sided - where one team's scheme and pressure was too much for the other, which couldn't figure out how to respond.

I've never cared for the Blues franchise for whatever reason. If it's Bruins-Blues in the Final, I probably won't watch.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Watched some hockey yesterday for the first time since the Jackets were eliminated. Blues dominated the Sharks in the time I watched. Looked like games 5-6 of the Bruins series, but even more one-sided - where one team's scheme and pressure was too much for the other, which couldn't figure out how to respond.

I've never cared for the Blues franchise for whatever reason. If it's Bruins-Blues in the Final, I probably won't watch.

Perhaps you meant games 4 and 5 of the Bruins series. In game 6 it took a masterful performance by Tuukka and his magic posts to keep us from piling in the goals.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It was a dominant performance. Like some of the times I watched the Bruins befuddle the Jackets in whatever games they were.

Sorry to nitpick. I'm just guarding against the inevitable narrative drift towards "and when the Bruins decided to play they rolled over the Jackets because the Bruins are vastly superior and were inevitably going to dominate."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad