Around Hockey XXI (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
I think it's Trotz, rather easily, his system worked wonders for them and he took a team last in goals against last season to first. Lehner (and Griess) get some credit, but Trotz took a team that many wrote off as DoA this season once Tavares left to the second round, so far.

Berube would be my second choice, turning around Blues team that massively underperformed the first half of the season

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I'll be honest, I can't see myself pulling for some of the players in Boston - this pulling for Boston. I would find it amusing if they won the Cup however. It would continue a pretty sad streak on our part.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
As long as Boston doesn't win I'm happy. Although I expect them to get to the SCF, I think they'll have their hands full with either Western team.

Part of me wants Carolina to win it all due to small market. But they're a division rival. Part of me wants the Blues to win because that city got f***ed over by the Rams. And part of me wants San Jose to win because Thornton is a legend and after everything Karlsson has went through the past few years it would be nice to see him reach the top. But yeah, f*** Boston.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I want to see SJ win because they've never won one.
I want to see St. Louis win because they've never won one - and they're a mid-market Midwestern team like us.
I want to see Carolina win because they're a oft-disrespected, mid-market team like us.
I want to see Boston win because they beat us - making it 4 years in a row we've been eliminated by the Stanley Cup Champions.

And yet, I'm still firmly in the "I don't care" camp. I'm always like this after we get eliminated.

Reactions: CPTN71

Grouchy

Nov 2, 2006
Canal Winchester, OH
Boston is benefiting from the whoever beats Columbus wins the cup momentum.
And Rask
And haven't lost since they've started Backes
And having so much momentum they can afford to let Marchand engage full douche mode

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Carolina is showing they benefited from an easy path to the finals . Jackets were right there with Boston , missing 3 of their 6 defenseman . Pretty sure Jarmo knows what he’s doing . Boston is going to sweep Carolina

Carolina went down 2-0 to Washington too

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
There's always been a lull after the Jackets get eliminated, but it's stronger this year. Also, that for me, there isn't an obvious secondary team to root for (after the Jackets, I have three teams I pull for in varying capacity - all three are out). That is likely due in part to the later-ness of the Jackets' exit, which is in itself a good thing. But the Sharks is the closest thing to a bandwagon I can jump on, and I'm just not feeling it.

Reactions: thebus88

cbjfan

Jul 4, 2002
Visit site
Carolina went down 2-0 to Washington too
The Canes first two games in Washington that they lost were competitive with one going to OT. The first two games against Boston, I did not see anything that suggests that Carolina will be able to stay with Boston. I am thinking Bruins in 5 games at this point.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I'm one who likes to see four lines or at least some reasonable balance among TOI. It often seems we are playing our best hockey when rolling four lines. But a fair question to ask is our four line success because of rolling four lines? Or is our rolling four lines simply the result of three lines generating success and allowing time for the fourth (Though the fourth line playing wasn't a key component of that success)?

I am sure of this: when things get tight, Torts default is to roll only three or two and a half lines. (Probably not unique to Torts). Juxtaposition the Tampa Bay and Boston series for an example.

I personally like the fresh legs rolling four lines provides. But I'll concede you can't play an overmatched line consistently and Torts sometimes creates an unusable line knowing he's fine with playing just three.

Reactions: Monk

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Yep.

Attachments

• 56492A22-1226-46BC-8288-06022AFEF8DC.jpeg
    56492A22-1226-46BC-8288-06022AFEF8DC.jpeg
    47 KB · Views: 23
Reactions: Monk

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I'm watching Tuesdays game from Raleigh and it sounds like they moved Milbury out of the color spot.

Also: the reason Rask is so dominate this playoff is he's not giving up ANY rebounds. Boston scored way to many goals on second chances off rebounds by Bob.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

I'm one who likes to see four lines or at least some reasonable balance among TOI. It often seems we are playing our best hockey when rolling four lines. But a fair question to ask is our four line success because of rolling four lines? Or is our rolling four lines simply the result of three lines generating success and allowing time for the fourth (Though the fourth line playing wasn't a key component of that success)?

I am sure of this: when things get tight, Torts default is to roll only three or two and a half lines. (Probably not unique to Torts). Juxtaposition the Tampa Bay and Boston series for an example.

I personally like the fresh legs rolling four lines provides. But I'll concede you can't play an overmatched line consistently and Torts sometimes creates an unusable line knowing he's fine with playing just three.

Let's be honest, we didn't have 4 lines that could be trusted against Boston. We did until Riley Nash went down. Then we were scrambling to try to find any combination that would work with Wennberg, Texier, and Hannikainan.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Let's be honest, we didn't have 4 lines that could be trusted against Boston. We did until Riley Nash went down. Then we were scrambling to try to find any combination that would work with Wennberg, Texier, and Hannikainan.

Maybe I should have said Torts/Jarmo need to figure this out. Not having a solid & deep enough roster to be able to overcome the loss of Riley Nash (sarcasm emoji?) should be unacceptable. Again I believe that Torts & Jarmo aren't on the same page when it comes to roster building.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I'm watching Tuesdays game from Raleigh and it sounds like they moved Milbury out of the color spot.

Also: the reason Rask is so dominate this playoff is he's not giving up ANY rebounds. Boston scored way to many goals on second chances off rebounds by Bob.

f*** Milbury. Was always essentially a fan, but the obvious bias (while also having to deal with Emrick) during the playoffs was just too much. Give me Jack Edwards and their color (Brickley?) or 75% of other color guys (Mickey Redmond IS AWESOME) over the group that we had to listen to and what NBC throws out there 50+% of the time.

Not to mention Roenick and the boys were not much better for 2+, really 3 games, in the 1st round.

To add to the last point. Go back and watch the rebound from the OT Eller goal game 3 last year. I will never forget that. Should never have been a rebound, especially right there in front, in the NHL.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Maybe I should have said Torts/Jarmo need to figure this out. Not having a solid & deep enough roster to be able to overcome the loss of Riley Nash (sarcasm emoji?) should be unacceptable. Again I believe that Torts & Jarmo aren't on the same page when it comes to roster building.

This CBJ team is just as good moving forward as 20 other teams in the NHL. In the playoffs this year you could easily argue they were top 3-5 "skill wise". Without their #2 defenseman.

Roster building and line chemistry aren't as simple, especially in the NHL, as you seem to imagine.

The loss isn't because of Riley Nash, the CBJ, TB Lightning, Jarmo or Torts.

Its that the Boston Bruins are good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad