Speculation: Armchair GM Thread Mk. II - Now Paging Derek Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Lindholm wants 5+ per year, the Canes want to pay him around 4.

If it’s 1 for 1, gotta think something like Bennett + Fox is going the other way.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Five is a lot for a player who's proven next to nothing.
Yeah, if he wants 5 I don't want the Flames giving up assets for him. Frolik level production with minimal improvement through his time in the NHL, as an RFA, he shouldn't be getting more than 4ish.

Reactions: Cyrano

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Yeah, if he wants 5 I don't want the Flames giving up assets for him. Frolik level production with minimal improvement through his time in the NHL, as an RFA, he shouldn't be getting more than 4ish.
You can't just look at points. Sure he produces similar to Frolik, but he is still growing as a player, is more physical and unlike Frolik can play center at the NHL level, all while being just as good if not better than Frolik defensively.

Using the basis that you get about 100k for every point, plus something more for defensive play and intangibles, 5+ is actually market value and that's not even considering he will continue to grow as a player.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Would love Lindholm. Hasn't lived up to draft hype quite yet. But in the right scenario could really be a major impact player. I wanted him badly at the draft day. The idea of having him either:

Be 1st line RW
2nd line RW (bump Frolik to 3rd)
3rd line C (Bump Janko to the 4th or the wing)

Versatility means a lot for this team.

Rockmorton

Oct 26, 2011

I wonder if he wants 5...to play for the Hurricanes? Can’t be an enjoyable place to go to work everyday

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I wonder if he wants 5...to play for the Hurricanes? Can’t be an enjoyable place to go to work everyday
This is a pretty ignorant take, to be honest. They're hockey players getting paid to play the game they love, they have a team of guys around them that they care about (unless they're Ottawa), and spending time in any city will usually lead to some level of emotional attachment. Sure, guys playing in Carolina probably aren't from there, and may well think about playing close to home some day, but there is no reason to think that players all unanimously resent playing in the southern markets. If you heard Luongo talking about Florida at the NHL awards, you can tell that many players like that would much prefer to play down there than up here.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
This is a pretty ignorant take, to be honest. They're hockey players getting paid to play the game they love, they have a team of guys around them that they care about (unless they're Ottawa), and spending time in any city will usually lead to some level of emotional attachment. Sure, guys playing in Carolina probably aren't from there, and may well think about playing close to home some day, but there is no reason to think that players all unanimously resent playing in the southern markets. If you heard Luongo talking about Florida at the NHL awards, you can tell that many players like that would much prefer to play down there than up here.
I kind of don't think he meant anything regarding the geographical location of the team.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I don’t think Lindholm is even asking for more than he’s worth. At $5 million, lock him up long term, seems like a no brainer! I mean he doesn’t even turn 24 until December, plays centre or wing, is fairly physical and has averaged just over 40 points per season the last 4 years.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I don’t think Lindholm is even asking for more than he’s worth. At $5 million, lock him up long term, seems like a no brainer! I mean he doesn’t even turn 24 until December, plays centre or wing, is fairly physical and has averaged just over 40 points per season the last 4 years.

Given that Backlund just got a little over 5, has Selke votes, better offense, and was about to be a UFA, I'm not entirely sure how Lindholm gets 5 just yet as an RFA unless it's a contract with some serious term.

Reactions: SmellOfVictory

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Lindholm is like a young Backlund.

Except, you know, staying healthy and a RHS.
He’s more or less Backlund now. Less than a 3 point average differential over the last 4 years. Backlund is a bit more creative, Lindholm more physical and both are very good defensively. Even at the WC, Backs had 9 and Lindholm had 7.

Last edited:

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Given that Backlund just got a little over 5, has Selke votes, better offense, and was about to be a UFA, I'm not entirely sure how Lindholm gets 5 just yet as an RFA unless it's a contract with some serious term.
He also signed the contract as a 29 year old, Lindholm will be signing as a 23 year old, with similar production. Kane has less points than both of them, over the last 4 years and just signed for $7 million. If we locked up Lindholm for 6 seasons, he’d be signing his next contract as a 29 year old.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
With the cap going up $4.5m next year, there's his contract right there. Treliving could get him for slightly under $5mm I bet and that'd be a steal in a couple years (if not already)

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Not that this trade is likely to happen. Bu thaving thought about the rumor a little more, I'd be a hell yes to moving Dougie for Hanifin and Lindholm. Hanifin is looking like he's going to turn into Hamilton anyways and we get a top 6 player with a RHS who excels at a complete 200ft game. Sign me up, I really like Dougie, but there is no way he's more valuable to us than those two pieces combined now, and in the next two years, we'd likely be laughing about how awesome that deal was.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
You can't just look at points. Sure he produces similar to Frolik, but he is still growing as a player, is more physical and unlike Frolik can play center at the NHL level, all while being just as good if not better than Frolik defensively.

Using the basis that you get about 100k for every point, plus something more for defensive play and intangibles, 5+ is actually market value and that's not even considering he will continue to grow as a player.
That is fair, he is a good possession player as well. I guess 5 isn't bad if you're getting him for 6-8 seasons, but it would have to buy out a handful of UFA seasons to be reasonable value, IMO. Looking at Backlund, you have a better, more accomplished player who was becoming a UFA and he got slightly over 5, himself. Based on that, I think an equivalent contract for Lindholm would be more around 4.5-4.7 AAV.

I'm not sure how much I'd expect Lindholm to improve on his current results, though. His scoring rates have improved a decent amount, but his overall production hasn't jumped substantially over the past four seasons, and his possession stats are pretty static as well. Current results look good, for sure, but just saying I don't think I'd expect him to outperform whatever contract you signed him to today.

I do have some concern as well in the fact that he has been outscored every single season he's been in the league. +/- is dumb over short periods of time, but when you're seeing the same trend over that many seasons, there's something to look at.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I do have some concern as well in the fact that he has been outscored every single season he's been in the league. +/- is dumb over short periods of time, but when you're seeing the same trend over that many seasons, there's something to look at.
Tbf, Carolina's goaltending has been atrocious over the last few years. Can't really get anywhere with a washed up Cam Ward as your #1A guy

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Main board is saying there is interest in trading Stone and Fox. Just curious, if a trade were to happen, is it more likely to occur on the first or second day of the draft?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Main board is saying there is interest in trading Stone and Fox. Just curious, if a trade were to happen, is it more likely to occur on the first or second day of the draft?
Treliving has, in the past, done both. Hamonic was traded during the second round, while Hamilton was traded right about now three years ago.

If a first-round pick is involved, usually the trade isn't made until it's seen who is available at that spot.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I'd say it's a toss up. Fox would be a chip to get us back in the 1st round, but who knows how to play him at this point. Huge upside, with risk of not even signing with us! What do you do with a guy like that? Still 2 years from deciding so theoretically, barring injury, his value should be higher next year. I'd keep him, but with Andersson and Vali coming up, do we need a 3rd D prospect when we could flip him for something useful now?!

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Some Rangers reporter:

Guessing the Rangers have had contact with the Flames in the last while

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad